Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 46385 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #525 on: November 12, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »
I'm trying to figure out the best way to organize my youngest son's toys.  Right now he has just a plastic bin with a lid, but it's not big enough for one (thanks to stuffed animals) and two, things just get blended in there so hard to teach him the "put one thing away before you play with another" idea because all the wooden train tracks are mixed in with blocks and Little People.

In the past, with the other two, we've used things like this, only cheaper.  Usually it would end up getting broken, or the plastic parts would break, etc. http://www.target.com/p/kidkraft-sort-it-and-store-it-bin-espresso/-/A-13939792#prodSlot=medium_1_24

I have been eyeing these systems, as he also needs a place to keep his books and it seems they could double as toy storage and a bookshelf.  Anyone have success with these and kids?

http://www.target.com/p/circo-9-cube-organizer-white/-/A-13765447#prodSlot=medium_1_3

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #526 on: November 12, 2013, 11:18:08 AM »
piratelvr,

When I was a kid, I had one or two of those triangle shaped nets for stuffed animals...the ones you attach to the corner wall.  They worked great and freed up a lot of space.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #527 on: November 12, 2013, 11:31:40 AM »
I've seen those, and wouldn't be against them. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #528 on: November 12, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »
Piratelvr1121, here's a few quick and easy tutorials:

Fabric:  http://www.lemonsqueezyhome.com/2011/02/stuffed-animal-net-tutorial.html

Tulle:  http://sharethesavings2011.wordpress.com/2013/03/30/diy-stuffed-animal-hammock/

Net:  http://hannahbelleoriginals.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/stuffed-animal-holder-tutorial/

I think I could make one of the net ones right now with scrap fabric I have in my sewing bin.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #529 on: November 12, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
Ooh, thanks!  I think I have some spare sheets and fabric I could use to make this rather quickly! :)  That would at least take care of the many stuffed animals this child has (I think he has 2 actually bought for him, the rest have been passed down)

mathchick

« Reply #530 on: November 12, 2013, 12:57:55 PM »
I'm trying to figure out the best way to organize my youngest son's toys.  Right now he has just a plastic bin with a lid, but it's not big enough for one (thanks to stuffed animals) and two, things just get blended in there so hard to teach him the "put one thing away before you play with another" idea because all the wooden train tracks are mixed in with blocks and Little People.

I have been eyeing these systems, as he also needs a place to keep his books and it seems they could double as toy storage and a bookshelf.  Anyone have success with these and kids?

http://www.target.com/p/circo-9-cube-organizer-white/-/A-13765447#prodSlot=medium_1_3

I have those, and I'm not thrilled with them for toys.  For books, they're fine.  For toys they have cloth drawers that fit in them, but once the children can't see the stuff, it ends up being ignored, not to mention that the stuff ends up mixed together in the bins anyway.  Then again, I haven't found anything I love to store toys, so this could be as good as it gets.

dawbs

« Reply #531 on: November 12, 2013, 02:52:26 PM »

In the past, with the other two, we've used things like this, only cheaper.  Usually it would end up getting broken, or the plastic parts would break, etc. http://www.target.com/p/kidkraft-sort-it-and-store-it-bin-espresso/-/A-13939792#prodSlot=medium_1_24

I've found the sturdy version of the 1st thing you posted is worth having--BUT, it has to be a expensive sturdy one.  (I don't remember what brand ours is, I got it at a yard sale and it's awesome.  Cheap ones make me want to just burn down the pile of mess they make).

For stuffed animals, I've been eyeballing one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Animal-Bag-Toy-Stuffed-Storage-Organizer-Solution-with-Mesh-Top-and-Zipper-/321247292558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4acbd4ac8e

I may just make one.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #532 on: November 12, 2013, 04:15:08 PM »
I got an assortment of clear plastic bins. So action figures went in one, cars in another, the train and tracks in another, dinosaurs, etc. The smallest are shoe box sized and are only about a buck at Walmart, and they fit a lot of little toys. They stack really well, and it's easier to put things away because I can tell DS to put up his blocks before he gets out the cars. The medium and large sized bins have the same surface area, and the shoe box size are 1/2, so they all fit well together. (I don't know if I'm making any sense, but they really do stack well together.)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #533 on: November 12, 2013, 11:13:20 PM »
I have shelves similar to what you posted you were thinking of, and honestly, I don't like them much. They do the job, and they aren't so cheap as to fall apart right away, but they just aren't that nice. If they were cheaper, I'd probably be okay with it, but I feel like I paid too much for what I ended up with, and I kind of hate the way they look.

In general, for inexpensive furniture that holds up, I am always happier when I go the IKEA route. With cube storage, for instance, I have one of these:

(ClosetMaid Cubeicals® 8 Cube Organizer - currently $66.99 at Target)

I have it on its side (so it's 2 cubes high and 4 cubes long), and it's okay. But the cubes are a little too small to store things well, it's too short to work well as a surface (but if I stood it up the other way I'd be worry about it tipping over), and honestly, it just looks cheap. I've had it for 5 or 6 years, and it's held up well enough, but I've disliked it for a long time.

More recently, I bought this:

(Expedit shelving unit - currently $69.99 at IKEA)

I also have this one on its side, but since the cubes are bigger, they hold more and the whole thing is taller. The Expedit is about the height of a standard table or desk, which makes it a much more useful surface (at least for an adult). It also looks about a million times nicer than the ClosetMaid shelf I have.

In terms of price, I think the ClosetMaid shelf was a little cheaper when I bought it (more like $50), and I got the Expedit on sale when it was an IKEA Family special one month (so I think I paid $60 instead of $70). IKEA is much harder for me to get to than Target, but I am just so over buying furniture at Target. Most of it seems okay or even nice in theory, but I get it home and it's hard to put together, it doesn't look nice, and it often wears out far sooner than I think the price warrants. I don't think my IKEA furniture will last forever, but it's held up well so far and I'm still happy with it.

IKEA does also sell storage furniture intended for children - their Trofast and Stuva lines are the two that come to mind, but there may be others.

Basically, even though I have to drive 2 hours to get to IKEA and then schlep things back in my Honda Civic, I generally find it to be a worthwhile undertaking because I'm much happier with the furniture I get there than anything I've ever purchased locally.

audhs

« Reply #534 on: November 13, 2013, 01:11:27 AM »
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/20474/

We have these for toy storage, they work pretty good I've seen similar ones in other places. I like that there are direr rent sized bins.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #535 on: November 13, 2013, 06:17:14 AM »
OOh I like those!  We don't have an Ikea very close to us (I think the closest one is in College Park) and typically what they have is not really my style for decorating, but those look good and I too like that they have the different sized bins.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #536 on: November 13, 2013, 01:05:54 PM »
We have the Expedit cube shelves from Ikea as well and I love them. They are incredibly versatile. We have an entertainment center version for our TV, other electronics, and DVDs. On another wall we have a larger unit that we use for books and toys. They are also great as room dividers.

I have not been pleased with furniture from Target. We got a sideboard and china cabinet there and they were falling apart within a few years. Our Ikea stuff was similarly priced and has held up much better.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Sebastienne

« Reply #537 on: November 13, 2013, 02:46:53 PM »
The Expedit shelves are wonderful shelves. We have two sets that are bookshelves/LP storage AND room dividers, since they're double-sided. Super handy, and not unattractive.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #538 on: November 13, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »
When the DDs were younger I filled their room with storage drawers like this:

http://www.walmart.com/browse/storage-organization/drawers-carts/4044_90828_925639/?_refineresult=true&facet=category%3ADrawers%7C%7Ccategory%3ADrawer+Organizers&mmodule=1&_mm=

They come in different sizes and are stackable, too. Some are even one-level so that you can tuck them under the bed (this is where the DDs kept their shoes.)

The drawers are easy enough to remove and replace so if you separate the toys you (or your DS) can pull out one drawer with all crayons & paper or the one with all the trucks . . . easy enough to carry the whole drawer to a different room.

I put 3 of the 3 drawer ones side by side and duct taped them together (back and bottoms) so they didn't move apart (I didn't use the wheels).

You can find these really cheap, but the cheaper ones are flimsier. The pricier ones are worth the sturdiness. 15+ years later, I still have several in use and DD#1 brought a set to college with her.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #539 on: November 13, 2013, 06:34:40 PM »
I have shelves similar to what you posted you were thinking of, and honestly, I don't like them much. They do the job, and they aren't so cheap as to fall apart right away, but they just aren't that nice. If they were cheaper, I'd probably be okay with it, but I feel like I paid too much for what I ended up with, and I kind of hate the way they look.

In general, for inexpensive furniture that holds up, I am always happier when I go the IKEA route. With cube storage, for instance, I have one of these:

(ClosetMaid Cubeicals® 8 Cube Organizer - currently $66.99 at Target)

I have it on its side (so it's 2 cubes high and 4 cubes long), and it's okay. But the cubes are a little too small to store things well, it's too short to work well as a surface (but if I stood it up the other way I'd be worry about it tipping over), and honestly, it just looks cheap. I've had it for 5 or 6 years, and it's held up well enough, but I've disliked it for a long time.

More recently, I bought this:

(Expedit shelving unit - currently $69.99 at IKEA)

I also have this one on its side, but since the cubes are bigger, they hold more and the whole thing is taller. The Expedit is about the height of a standard table or desk, which makes it a much more useful surface (at least for an adult). It also looks about a million times nicer than the ClosetMaid shelf I have.

In terms of price, I think the ClosetMaid shelf was a little cheaper when I bought it (more like $50), and I got the Expedit on sale when it was an IKEA Family special one month (so I think I paid $60 instead of $70). IKEA is much harder for me to get to than Target, but I am just so over buying furniture at Target. Most of it seems okay or even nice in theory, but I get it home and it's hard to put together, it doesn't look nice, and it often wears out far sooner than I think the price warrants. I don't think my IKEA furniture will last forever, but it's held up well so far and I'm still happy with it.

IKEA does also sell storage furniture intended for children - their Trofast and Stuva lines are the two that come to mind, but there may be others.

Basically, even though I have to drive 2 hours to get to IKEA and then schlep things back in my Honda Civic, I generally find it to be a worthwhile undertaking because I'm much happier with the furniture I get there than anything I've ever purchased locally.

Closetmaid has similar systems, and they are available at Target. I bought a 6 pocket one.