Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 52980 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #540 on: November 13, 2013, 09:23:17 PM »

Closetmaid has similar systems, and they are available at Target. I bought a 6 pocket one.

Closetmaid is the white shelf I pictured in the post you quoted. I don't like it very much, and I thought it cost more than it was worth. The IKEA Expedit was only $10 or so more expensive, but it looks like real furniture that belongs in my living room. The Closetmaid shelf looks like a closet organizer, even though mine is filled with books.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #541 on: November 13, 2013, 09:35:15 PM »
Mine is a dark cherry and wider than it is tall. I just got it last month.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #542 on: November 15, 2013, 09:48:49 PM »
While I don't have this happen often, occasionally I get wicked crazy food cravings.  Not too long ago it was pickles and bananas/tomato/ avocado and it turned out that I was slightly sodium deficient and a whole lot of potassium deficient...it was mostly due to the heat and becoming dehydrated due to working out/getting way sweaty.  The doc put me on a K supplement and a separate trace mineral one and told me to eat more salt and drink more water.

Now I'm craving nuts and almond milk.  I'm getting enough fat, my calorie count is fine, I'm eating a good variety of fruits/veges, fish, chicken/turkey, plenty of dairy, and a take a doctor prescribed round of multivitamins/trace mineral support. 

My hair, skin, and nails all look fantastic...when I have problems in those areas, something is usually way off.  So I'm kind of at a loss on this food craving.  Usually my food cravings, when they last more than a week ,are directly tied to mineral deficiencies, but I don't know what I could possible be missing at this point.  Most food cravings disappear after a serving or three of the craved food or drink and all is normal again.

I have an appointment for a routine checkup in a few days, so I guess we'll see if anything comes up in my bloodwork.  The waiting game is making me antsy..that and I've drank 1.5 gallons of almond milk in the past 4 days (it's kind of pricey) and now I'm out  :-[.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #543 on: November 15, 2013, 09:52:41 PM »
While I don't have this happen often, occasionally I get wicked crazy food cravings.  Not too long ago it was pickles and bananas/tomato/ avocado and it turned out that I was slightly sodium deficient and a whole lot of potassium deficient...it was mostly due to the heat and becoming dehydrated due to working out/getting way sweaty.  The doc put me on a K supplement and a separate trace mineral one and told me to eat more salt and drink more water.

Now I'm craving nuts and almond milk.  I'm getting enough fat, my calorie count is fine, I'm eating a good variety of fruits/veges, fish, chicken/turkey, plenty of dairy, and a take a doctor prescribed round of multivitamins/trace mineral support. 

My hair, skin, and nails all look fantastic...when I have problems in those areas, something is usually way off.  So I'm kind of at a loss on this food craving.  Usually my food cravings, when they last more than a week ,are directly tied to mineral deficiencies, but I don't know what I could possible be missing at this point.  Most food cravings disappear after a serving or three of the craved food or drink and all is normal again.

I have an appointment for a routine checkup in a few days, so I guess we'll see if anything comes up in my bloodwork.  The waiting game is making me antsy..that and I've drank 1.5 gallons of almond milk in the past 4 days (it's kind of pricey) and now I'm out  :-[.

Protein, perhaps? Or maybe you just really like the taste of nuts? Other than that, I have nothing.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #544 on: November 15, 2013, 10:08:42 PM »

Protein, perhaps? Or maybe you just really like the taste of nuts? Other than that, I have nothing.
Definitely not protein.  I'm getting  80-100 g daily per doc orders.  I was eating 40-60 prior to that, but something in my bloodwork showed I was burning muscle.  Doc said due to my activity level, I needed to seriously up it and my last workup showed that issue had been corrected by the change.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Tea Drinker

« Reply #545 on: November 15, 2013, 10:58:47 PM »

What sort of potassium supplement? I went looking for a potassium supplement a while ago (I was having the sort of calf muscle cramps that can be caused by being a little low on potassium), and the drugstore didn't have one. Nor is there any potassium in my partner's multivitamin; apparently it's a lot harder to get into supplements than other desirable minerals. I'm getting the potassium I need from orange juice and bananas, and keeping low-sodium salt substitutes, which include potassium chloride, in mind. (I got as far as putting KCl on my shopping list, and then the store had ripe bananas again.) But if there's a potassium supplement that doesn't taste salty, I'd like to know.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #546 on: November 15, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »
^^^ pm'd you tea drinker

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #547 on: November 15, 2013, 11:25:50 PM »

What sort of potassium supplement? I went looking for a potassium supplement a while ago (I was having the sort of calf muscle cramps that can be caused by being a little low on potassium), and the drugstore didn't have one. Nor is there any potassium in my partner's multivitamin; apparently it's a lot harder to get into supplements than other desirable minerals. I'm getting the potassium I need from orange juice and bananas, and keeping low-sodium salt substitutes, which include potassium chloride, in mind. (I got as far as putting KCl on my shopping list, and then the store had ripe bananas again.) But if there's a potassium supplement that doesn't taste salty, I'd like to know.

I get nighttime leg cramps, and I've found some calcium-magnesium citrate before bed helps, and my great uncle swears by it. Dunno if that might be any help for you too.

I expect the reason you're having trouble finding potassium supplements is that it is (IIRC) relatively easy to take too much, and the effects of too much are Rather Bad.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #548 on: November 16, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »

Got a weird update thanks to my PT.  I was telling her about this, she goes to the fridge and pulls out a thing of coconut water and tells me to drink it.  Let me just say, I hate coconut water.  I find it nasty tasting and slimy going down.  PT knows this, but tells me to humor her and drink it. 

It was SO good.  She had me drink another and asked how I felt.  Hmmm, better, much better in fact.  The gnawing craving for nuts gone.  She seems to think my potassium or magnesium levels may be low and I'm still a bit dehydrated.  I went to the grocery store after I left there and I actually forgot to get the almond milk.

Though she did say, the almond milk isn't a problem and it's okay if I drink several glasses a day since I only like the plain unsweetened kind.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #549 on: November 18, 2013, 11:44:08 PM »
So, I watched the Tales from the TARDIS special on BBC America tonight.  And in the interview parts, they had Tom Baker.  Since I only heard his voice, I thought it was a way back interview thingie.  Nope, he's alive.

I now have to move him from actors I thought were dead to actors who are really alive.  *Facepalm*  I feel like such a bad Whovian thinking the fourth Doctor's actor was dead.  Maybe it's because Elisabeth Sladen died in 2011, so my mind thought he was gone too?  Meh.  Don't know.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #552 on: January 08, 2014, 09:26:32 PM »
New topic that doesn't deserve its own thread: Ever heard someone talk and been unable to stop picturing someone else who they sound like?  ;D

I'm currently sitting in the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department of a university, and can overhear a professor meeting with people in his office. For some reason, this guy sounds just like Robert Downey, Jr.'s portrayal of Tony Stark to me. I'm not sure if it's the accent, or the timbre of the voice, or what, but now I can't stop picturing Tony Stark having commandeered a professor's office and screwing with the poor students coming in for office hours, just for fun. Or maybe we've got a new class in how to build Iron Man suits this quarter.  ;)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #553 on: January 20, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »
Cost is one reason why I don't have a drivers licence, I think that with the latest regulations it's gone up to about 2000 euros (so about $2600), I can't afford that plus the cost of owning a car, taking the bus is 48 euros per month. When I graduated high school my father offered to pay for the licence or a computer, I chose the computer and it was more useful in my studies (at the time the lucence cost about as much as the first iMacs).
Honestly if we had public transportation and a way to evacuate when a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane was coming our way, I wouldn't own a car. But I live in Houston which was built for a driving culture.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #554 on: January 20, 2014, 12:18:30 PM »
New topic that doesn't deserve its own thread: Ever heard someone talk and been unable to stop picturing someone else who they sound like?  ;D

I'm currently sitting in the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department of a university, and can overhear a professor meeting with people in his office. For some reason, this guy sounds just like Robert Downey, Jr.'s portrayal of Tony Stark to me. I'm not sure if it's the accent, or the timbre of the voice, or what, but now I can't stop picturing Tony Stark having commandeered a professor's office and screwing with the poor students coming in for office hours, just for fun. Or maybe we've got a new class in how to build Iron Man suits this quarter.  ;)

I would so love to take that class!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."