News:

• April 19, 2018, 12:15:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 189830 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #720 on: October 07, 2015, 09:01:09 AM »
As a guest, what is most important to you at a party?

I'm passively planning our 20th anniversary party - two years away. I would like to have a hotel banquet space, music, good food, dancing and a wine bar. I'm not planning on doing anything myself besides the planning, payments and reservations to avoid stress. I estimate 20-50 guests.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Mergatroyd

« Reply #721 on: October 07, 2015, 10:33:13 AM »
As a guest, what is most important to you at a party?

I'm passively planning our 20th anniversary party - two years away. I would like to have a hotel banquet space, music, good food, dancing and a wine bar. I'm not planning on doing anything myself besides the planning, payments and reservations to avoid stress. I estimate 20-50 guests.

Food, beverages, upbeat music that is easy to talk over but fills in blank spaces. Somewhere safe to put my coat? Safe rides home?

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #722 on: October 07, 2015, 10:38:32 AM »
"Enough" seating.

ladyknight1

« Reply #723 on: October 07, 2015, 10:42:35 AM »
I plan to have extra seating, no forced mingling. I did not factor in paying for taxis, so I will add that.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
« Reply #724 on: October 07, 2015, 01:31:05 PM »
I plan to have extra seating, no forced mingling. I did not factor in paying for taxis, so I will add that.

I'm not a big drinker, nor to I go to a lot of parties, but I personally don't think you need to pay for the taxis, just have the information handy so your guests could contact one.

mandycorn

« Reply #725 on: October 07, 2015, 02:08:42 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't expect my host to pay for my ride, but if it's an unfamiliar area for me, a recommendation for a taxi/car service is super helpful.

I also agree with Mergatroyd on music in the background. Really lively parties always seem to have a great playlist going, but at a volume where it doesn't overpower conversation. Parties with no music at all tend to not feel as exciting and parties where you can't escape from the music tend to thin out quickly as people leave the space to get some quiet.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:15:35 PM by mandycorn »
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

jpcher

« Reply #726 on: October 07, 2015, 05:10:27 PM »
Good food.*

I've been to many banquets (in fact, one last week) where everything was perfect, good music, scheduled presentations, excellent company, etc. The one comment that seepms to prevail is "The food wasn't all that good." or "For banquet food? It was passable."

So I say go the extra mile on the menu.

I agree that you don't have to pay for taxi's, but having info available would be good.

*Well, maybe not the most important, but I think it's up there.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #727 on: October 07, 2015, 07:03:31 PM »
Maybe not "most important," but some interesting nonalcoholic drinks would be good: a lot of people will set up a wine bar, or get a variety of beers, and the non-alcoholic options will be water and maybe Coke, at which point a lot depends on how good the local tap water tastes. You don't have to go fancy, but things like lemonade and iced tea not from powdered mixes, orange juice, or a bit more variety of sodas are nice.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

ladyknight1

« Reply #728 on: October 07, 2015, 07:18:33 PM »
We'll definitely have an assortment of drinks, alcoholic and non. Right now, I'm thinking Italian, but we will have the meal catered, it will be better than most banquet food.
-J.R.R Tolkien

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #729 on: October 07, 2015, 07:43:27 PM »
*Coat check so I don't have to haul it around.
*Something for nondrinkers that isn't club soda, regular soda or water. I can't drink carbonated beverages and while I like plain water it's a little boring.
*Places to put things down- little tables to hold your drink/food if you aren't seated at a dining table.
*Real china and silverware, especially if the food needs cutting or you aren't seated at tables. Plastic is no fun when it breaks.
*Soft music in the background. I stress soft, because having to talk over the music is annoying.
*Consistent food. Sushi appetizers followed by fettucini Alfredo followed by apple pie would seem weird.
*Food for at least basic divisions like vegetarian.
*Plenty of seating, especially if there's dancing. People need to be able to kick their shoes off between numbers.
*Music people can dance to. I don't care if it's the Wobble or Viennese waltz. I do care if you want us to dance and have picked a bunch of non-danceable music.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:27:53 AM by Winterlight »
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

CakeEater

« Reply #730 on: November 09, 2015, 08:36:20 PM »
Is there a way to filter my Facebook Newsfeed so I don't see everything that my friend's have liked? I'm tired of scrolling through countless pictures and posts of people I don't know because a friend has liked it to get to see anything my friends have actually posted.

I just want to see pictures and posts that friends have posted. Is there a way to do that?

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #731 on: November 09, 2015, 10:01:12 PM »
I think you have to go to the individual friend's page, go to the "following" button and deselect the things you don't want to see from them.  I'm on mobile at the moment, so I can't give you the exact names of things.

Update: I just had a poke around on my phone, they seem to have changed the settings again. There used to be an option that you could select which kinds of updates you wanted from a friend (so if you wanted to see statuses but not photos and comments, you could unselect photos and comments). I can't find that setting now.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:04:08 PM by WolfWay »
<3

CakeEater

« Reply #732 on: November 09, 2015, 10:23:10 PM »
Yeah, it seems to be in the last couple of months that I'm seeing everything people 'like' - not from people I'm friends with but have unfollowed though.

It annoys me that the opposite is also true - it makes me not want to like things, because it makes the post appear in all my friends' newsfeeds, presumedly.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #733 on: November 10, 2015, 11:13:26 AM »

I'm not a big drinker, nor to I go to a lot of parties, but I personally don't think you need to pay for the taxis, just have the information handy so your guests could contact one.

And maybe, since you say in a hotel banquet room, reserve a block of rooms, maybe for guests who may want to have fun, and also stay over?