Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 59366 times)

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2013, 12:44:27 PM »
Within the US, I've never heard it used as anything other than an insult.  Or a baseball team.

Or both.

I don't think that anyone is advocating for the world to replace the word American with USian.  I think the argument here was whether or not USian was common use, or uncommon.  Some are saying they've never seen it, others are saying they've seen it frequently.

I think everyone here who says they have seen it agrees that it's usually forum shorthand, something they've only seen, not heard.  More like an abbreviation of American than a replacement.

I didn't expect that people would use it officially.  What I meant was that if I use it, I was probably doing so because I thought it was amusing/funny, not because I really thought I should use it to name my location.  I could easily say "I'm from the USA".

I would expect that anyone who corrected American with USian would be trying to make a statement about the use of American.  And that would annoy me.  Asking "American?  From the US?"  Would not annoy me.

I think I misspoke and didn't make the point I was trying to.  This is why I'm an editor and not a writer.  :-)  I was trying to say I didn't think anyone would correct the word American with USian, because it's more of an abbreviation, it means the same thing.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2013, 12:51:59 PM »
Getting back to having a "Miscellaneous thread for things that don't deserve their own thread",  I question this.  Everyone who starts a thread probably believes it is deserving of being on the board for comments.  Personally, I want to know what the gist of the thread is going to be before I read it.  I don't want to have to guess if it is something I'm interested in reading about. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:54:40 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2013, 12:57:11 PM »
LOL!  ^^^

I love the idea of a "miscellaneous" thread.  It's like a 'surprise box' when you're sick.  You never know what's inside until you open it and each time you open it there may be a whole new different "present"!!   ;D

MerryCat

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »
I think that the whole "USian" thing has been taken very much out of context. I'm not sure that anyone's suggesting replacing "American" with "USian" or suggesting that it is the correct, or even a particularly common, usage in everyday life.

It's just a written shorthand that shows up from time to time in certain corners of the internet. If you've never heard of it, that's fine. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, or that it is in some way dismissive.

On certain travel forums "USian" comes up a lot, as does "UKer" and various other shorthand names for countries. The people who use the abberviations for each country most often are the people from said country. Probably because they have the most to say about their country and can't be bothered to type the whole name each time.

I doubt anyone on those forums self-identify as "USians" or "UKers" or whatever. They  just want to save themselves a few keystrokes. And if they don't have a problem with it, I don't think it's rude of me to use the same term. Sort of like writing "Xmas" instead of "Christmas."

Now, I get that it's a forum culture thing too. On this forum I won't use those terms since in seems to offend so many people. But by the same token, I don't think it's particularly kind assume that anyone who does use this term is being dismissive or intentionally offensive. Especially since, on other forums, Americans use the terms "USian" as a written/typed shorthand to refer to themselves.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2013, 01:03:46 PM »
Getting back to having a "Miscellaneous thread for things that don't deserve their own thread",  I question this.  Everyone who starts a thread probably believes it is deserving of being on the board for comments.  Personally, I want to know what the gist of the thread is going to be before I read it.  I don't want to have to guess if it is something I'm interested in reading about.

The reason I made this thread is, there have been many times where a thread has sidetracked, and the sidetrack is actually interesting, albeit to a small group of people.  Then, those people are asked to take it to its own thread, which is great... but it's kind of like the old adage of "why don't they offer up cable completely a la carte," with the answer being that although you may love the three-guys-named-Bill-playing-Parcheesi" channel, if it's not included with other channels it will have too few people interested in it.

So this is basically the equivalent of a cable package... all those sidetracks that are interesting to you, but you just know wouldn't go a whole page if it wasn't in with other topics (admittedly, this one subverted that.  :D)

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »
I think that the whole "USian" thing has been taken very much out of context. I'm not sure that anyone's suggesting replacing "American" with "USian" or suggesting that it is the correct, or even a particularly common, usage in everyday life.

It's just a written shorthand that shows up from time to time in certain corners of the internet. If you've never heard of it, that's fine. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, or that it is in some way dismissive.

On certain travel forums "USian" comes up a lot, as does "UKer" and various other shorthand names for countries. The people who use the abberviations for each country most often are the people from said country. Probably because they have the most to say about their country and can't be bothered to type the whole name each time.

I doubt anyone on those forums self-identify as "USians" or "UKers" or whatever. They  just want to save themselves a few keystrokes. And if they don't have a problem with it, I don't think it's rude of me to use the same term. Sort of like writing "Xmas" instead of "Christmas."

Now, I get that it's a forum culture thing too. On this forum I won't use those terms since in seems to offend so many people. But by the same token, I don't think it's particularly kind assume that anyone who does use this term is being dismissive or intentionally offensive. Especially since, on other forums, Americans use the terms "USian" as a written/typed shorthand to refer to themselves.

And then MerryCat goes and proves why I'm not a writer.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and say it:  I'm not offended.  I'm not upset.  I ain't even mad.  Honestly, I was puzzled, is all.  It was a phrase that I've never heard, and nor has anyone I've talked to.  If anything, it just seems... forced.

But hey, I'm not the final authority on language, so use it if you want to.  :)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »

The reason I made this thread is, there have been many times where a thread has sidetracked, and the sidetrack is actually interesting, albeit to a small group of people.  Then, those people are asked to take it to its own thread, which is great... but it's kind of like the old adage of "why don't they offer up cable completely a la carte," with the answer being that although you may love the three-guys-named-Bill-playing-Parcheesi" channel, if it's not included with other channels it will have too few people interested in it.

So this is basically the equivalent of a cable package... all those sidetracks that are interesting to you, but you just know wouldn't go a whole page if it wasn't in with other topics (admittedly, this one subverted that.  :D)

On that note, a new topic, sort of a question but not really enough of a factual one to go in the "this might be a stupid question" thread:

Do [other] people really only eat basil as pesto?

With spring approaching (in the USA  ;D ) conversations, FB, etc are turning to talk of gardens and fresh produce etc. Basil gets mentioned. So I note how easy basil is to grow, and how it just keeps producing, etc. I mention with pride how bushy my basils are and how I have to harvest several leaves a week to keep them in check. And without fail, seriously every single conversation I have ever had and mentioned my basil plants, someone says "oh, well you should make pesto!" As if this is A) a terribly ingenious idea that would have never occurred to dumb ole me before and B) the way to use basil. (Once someone even said "basil? Nah I don't like pesto.")

I like pesto, and occasionally I do make it (and sometimes when I do, I use other fresh greens then basil! And other cheeses and other nuts! Oh the humanity!) But gee whiz folks, basil is also delicious in tomato dishes, or in eggs, or mixed into salad, or mixed into rice our couscous or quinoa, in Thai curry, its good raw, or cooked into dishes, whole leaves or large cuts or diced - there are so many ways to use basil other then just pureed with olive oil,  Parmigiano Reggiano and pine nuts!

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2013, 01:50:59 PM »
WillyNilly, not in my circle! We love fresh basil on/in a lot of things. My favourite is pizza with mozzerella, tomatoes and basil :) YUM :D

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
I make an awesome fresh basil tomato sauce.  Fresh basil is also good on pizza.  Mmmm, white sauce pizza with basil, mozzarella and chicken.  Now I'm hungry.

I usually only use basil pesto for a couple of dishes, or I add extra oil and use it for bread dipping.

Although making pesto is a good way to use it up if you have a huge amount and nothing to do with it. I actually use dried basil to make pesto. The taste is really concentrated.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »
WillyNilly, not in my circle! We love fresh basil on/in a lot of things. My favourite is pizza with mozzerella, tomatoes and basil :) YUM :D

I'm not a pesto fan but I love fresh basil, especially lemon basil and Thai basil.

I hear you about the suggestion of making pesto. It's like people suggesting making a caprese salad, but they don't call it that. They think it's a brand new idea to combine fresh mozarella and tomatoes with fresh basil.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »
Re: Basil

I love a good tomato and basil spaghetti sauce.  :)  It's my second favorite, my favorite being garlic and onion.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
I'm going to have to grow my own, because every single time I happily pop off to the grocery for a recipe I'm making that uses the fresh stuff, they are ALWAYS out.  >:(
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2013, 03:01:18 PM »
Twik - its really a very easy plant to grow. All it needs is a sunny windowsill or sunny spot in your yard (although I recommend still doing it in a container - otherwise it will spread!) and regular watering. I currently have one potted dwarf Greek basil and 2 sweet basils in my hydroponics. I harvest about 2-4 dozen leaves a week at least.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2013, 03:01:34 PM »
I think there are some nuances in thought as well here. I don't identify myself as a 'brit' - and I don't know of any British/Scottish/English/Welsh person who would. I personally don't like the term at all, but I understand that some people (primarily from the US) choose to describe us as such. I'm actually half English, half Welsh, so I would say I'm from the UK/British/a Briton.

There are some sets of countries that people (for whatever reason - primarily similarity of language & accent), mentally group together, i.e. USA & Canada and New Zealand and Australia. This means that someone outside those countries/continent may describe something as American, when they actually mean Canadian, or Australian, when they actually mean New Zealand. To someone inside those countries that might seem bizarre or offensive, but to an outsider, it's easily done, although no offence is intended. By using the term USian, it removes the mental ambiguity from American, which could mean Canadian or American (USA). 

I think there was recently on another thread a quibble over someone saying something was 'typically European', when they actually mean German, Italian (or whatever, I couldn't work out what country they were talking about but it definitely wasn't the UK). As someone from the UK, that makes absolutely no sense at all - we don't identify as 'European', and our cultures and histories are so vastly different that it seems a bizarre statement. But from an outsider's perspective, we're lumped together geographically and (for the most part) economically, so what's the difference?

All in all, I think we should recognise that people outside our geographical area may not appreciate our own feelings about our identity, but as long as they're not disrespectful, we should try to take it in a positive light, and not see offence where none was intended.

I understand people from other areas lumping citizens of the US and Canada together because we do have much similarity in culture. But you wouldn't use the term American to identify us as a collective group. If you used that term to describe continents you'd be including everyone in both North and South America. North Americans would be a better desription but even then you'd be including citizens of Mexico with a much different culture.

The people I think are most offended by being referred to as Americans are the Canadians. Since the word American has been used for over 200 years to refer to USofA citizens, calling them American really deminishes their separate identity. I honestly think Canadians would be very much against the idea of coming up with a word to describe citizens of the US and Canada combined.

I'm starting to wonder if the seeming backlash to us using Americans is because us of Unites States of America has become less common than just United States. It almost seems that people are forgetting that America is part of our country name.

If someone is bound and determined to use a different abbreviation for us, then USians shouldn't be it. It should at least be USAians. When you go to the Olympics you don't hear "US US US" shouted, it's "USA USA USA".

And like Toots, I think the shorthand is cute. But I won't give up being called an American.

You are very right about that.  It is nothing against Americans.  Canadians have a separate identity and culture.  We are very protective of that and you are also right that a combined Canada/US name would not go over well in Canada.   Although, Can/Am is a frequent term to describe the two countries.