Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 45625 times)

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #375 on: June 18, 2013, 01:02:07 AM »
^^
Oh that made me laugh Minmom3, thank-you.
Jedikaiti, yes the dinner is now on hold.

My MIL has "episodes" where she acts like an odd duck.  At other times she is a perfectly lovely person - its like a mystery MIL, I never know who I'm going to get.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:18:14 AM by MsMarjorie »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #376 on: June 18, 2013, 03:11:11 PM »
For the longest time, anytime I saw the Hunger Games trailers I thought Effie Trinket was played by Bette Midler.  It was just the way she looked, talked and dressed.  Yeah, I know, the actress looks younger than Ms. Midler but like I said, she just reminded me so much of her.

I saw the movie and frankly she still reminds me of her.

The other day we saw the trailer for Catching Fire and there's a moment where I had to remind myself, again, that it is not Bette Midler but rather Elizabeth Banks.  I think it's the hair, makeup and clothing, in addition to just the way she talks and her mannerisms.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

GreenHall

« Reply #377 on: June 21, 2013, 09:07:23 AM »
Not sure where this would go, but billboard misspellings.

The local doc in a box had one expressing their sympathy to the "family's" in Oklahoma.

Last night on my way home, the mall was inventing me in to update my "wardbrode"

And one more, which was obviously intentional and probably part of an ad campaign that was paid for.  I don't remember if it was a technical school, or community college, but the billboard urged passers-by to consider ("hire")* education.   Well, at least o. That one they did catch my Attention....

*in my memory at least, they had hire in quotes on the billboard.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #378 on: June 21, 2013, 01:28:36 PM »
Major pet peeve - people who use an "'s" to pluralize EVERYTHING. Did they not pay attention in grade school? Do they not proofread?

It's like nails on a chalkboard for me.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Minmom3

« Reply #379 on: June 22, 2013, 12:16:24 AM »
For the longest time, anytime I saw the Hunger Games trailers I thought Effie Trinket was played by Bette Midler.  It was just the way she looked, talked and dressed.  Yeah, I know, the actress looks younger than Ms. Midler but like I said, she just reminded me so much of her.

The other day we saw the trailer for Catching Fire and there's a moment where I had to remind myself, again, that it is not Bette Midler but rather Elizabeth Banks.  I think it's the hair, makeup and clothing, in addition to just the way she talks and her mannerisms.

Effie Trinket looks a LOT like the character Bette Midler played in the Witches of Eastwick (if I'm remembering correctly).
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #380 on: June 22, 2013, 08:54:39 PM »

Effie Trinket looks a LOT like the character Bette Midler played in the Witches of Eastwick (if I'm remembering correctly).

You may be thinking of Hocus Pocus.  I don't think Bette was in Witches of Eastwick. 

Minmom3

« Reply #381 on: June 23, 2013, 12:57:26 AM »
Entirely possible.  I just remember some movie or other where Midler's makeup looked very much like Effie Trinket's makeup.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

AngelicGamer

« Reply #383 on: June 25, 2013, 05:22:03 PM »
Mom21's thread about her neighbors got me thinking about something.

How often should you update your wireless password?  Or do you just set it for one thing and just leave it?

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #384 on: June 25, 2013, 05:34:59 PM »
I set and leave unless I have reason to believe it may have been compromised.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #385 on: July 03, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »
Some neighbor children have reached the shrieky "I'm being kidnapped or have broken a bone" stage.  Unfortunately it's for just running around and playing normally.

It's sad, but if they were being kidnapped or were seriously injured, I wouldn't be able to tell.  They sound like that from the time they go outside til the time they go inside.

Snooks

« Reply #386 on: July 03, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »
Presumably they fall into the "worry if they're silent" category of children.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #387 on: July 03, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »
I hope so.  It doesn't help that one of the shriekers sounds like my youngest sister at that age and she only shrieked if she was hurt.  I'll tell you, my heart did a flip flop when I heard it the first time.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #388 on: July 03, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »
  What we have is double insurance costs,

I've had jobs at which my insurance premiums were $0 for a single person and quite a bit higher for a married person or family.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #389 on: July 03, 2013, 10:20:09 PM »
I was at a store today - little girl of uncertain age following around her mother & grandmother (based on what she screamed out when they were out of her sight).  Nothing stopped her from turning right when they turned left - but the moment she realized that they were out of HER sight - she did that high pitched thing that very young kids do....the one that has your ears wanting to bleed....

At the register, she was screeching again - Mom & Grandma were MEAN and didn't let her wander around any more and only bought her ONE toy and.....

I'm wondering if I need to start shopping with ear plugs in my purse in case of small children......

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?