Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 55612 times)

Stormtreader

Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #480 on: August 23, 2013, 11:54:15 AM »
Horseradish is also great on jacket potatoes :D

For the driving lessons, I didnt learn until about 8 years ago...and havent ever actually owned my own car or actively driven on my licence.

The first was because I lived in a rural area and am not a hugely social person, it would have taken ALL my money to run it and I was generally happy where i was :D

The second is because I now live in a ciry with good public transport links, a house deposit was more important than car payments. Im only *now* looking because my social life seems to have ramped up and its now enough of a bother for it to be worth it :D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #481 on: August 23, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »
I've been reading "Gifts from the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh and couldn't help but think of ehell when reading this bit:

"The world today does not understand, in either man or woman, the need to be alone. 

How inexplicable it seems.  Anything else will be accepted as a better excuse.  If one sets aside time for a business appointment, a trip to the hairdresser, a social engagement or a shopping expedition, that time is accepted as inviolable.  But if one says: I cannot come because that is my hour to be alone, one is considered rude, egotistical or strange.  What a commentary on our civilization, when being alone is considered suspect; when one has to apologize for it, make excuses, hide the fact that one practices it-like a secret vice!"

How many times has a poster been told that they do not have to give up time to themselves for a pushy friend, acquaintance or relative? That its perfectly fine to just stay home and have their time off without having to justify it? 

I believe the book was published in 1955, but a good amount of the wisdom really does still apply today.  Someone at my church recommended it when she found out how much I love the sea and I am enjoying it. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #482 on: August 23, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »
When wearing a bracelet with text on it (or any other design with a specific "up" and "down"), which direction do you wear it? So it's upright from your perspective (top of the design towards your hand) or upright when your arm is by your side (top of the design towards your wrist)? Does it differ depending on the particular piece of jewelry or occasion?

I recently had to decide when got a leather bracelet with a quote on it. I settled on upright from my own perspective for everyday wear. OTOH, I think if it were part of a dressy outfit, I might turn it around to be oriented upright for people looking at me.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #483 on: August 23, 2013, 05:34:01 PM »
I wear mine top of the design towards my wrist. I guess because it's easier for others to read and, well, otherwise it would be upside down.

That's just me and the way I've always done it.

I don't think there is any proper way . . . I say wear it they way you like it.

Snooks

« Reply #484 on: August 23, 2013, 05:51:34 PM »
Gah I've just stupidly reminded myself of something that annoyed me ages ago and has irked me all over again.  The mention of wedding anniversaries reminded me that ours is in about three weeks (we're going away - planned that ages ago as another "If I didn't plan it no-one in this house would do anything" person) and I remembered that my DH's immediate family never bothered doing anything special for our wedding.  His parents didn't even get us a card.  His sister normally makes cards any occasion for her 101 friends and their various children are celebrating, our wedding card was a 1 from the supermarket card, I happen to know because I saw it in there when I was picking a card for a wedding we had to go to not long after.  Please note I have nothing against supermarket cards but the lack of effort vs what she does for everyone else seems like a direct comment.  None of them have ever bothered acknowledging our anniversary, which doesn't bother me particularly but on SIL's first anniversary she phoned DH (then DBF) up and ranted down the phone at him about the fact he hadn't sent them a card.  I'm trying very hard not to get into a "no-one understands me" hole.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #485 on: August 23, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »
^My in-laws either don't recall or are refusing to tell us their anniversary so we can celebrate their anniversary. I have known them for 19 years!

DH and I are happy and glad to celebrate with each other, but I get weary of making all the arrangements all the time!

BTW, we no longer give gifts to each other for anniversaries. It got too strange (especially when I am reconciling accounts every month), when we have commingled finances and bank accounts. Is that weird?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #486 on: August 23, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »
That's actually why my parents now have separate accounts.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Snooks

« Reply #487 on: August 23, 2013, 06:38:29 PM »
Not at all! That's why we take anniversary trips.  We don't want/need anyone else to acknowledge our anniversary it just bugs me that she made all that fuss about hers then ignored ours!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #488 on: August 23, 2013, 07:47:13 PM »
That's actually why my parents now have separate accounts.

That's why we've always had 'His', 'Her's' and 'It's' accounts.  The 'It's' account is for joint expenses such as utilities.  We both contribute to that.  The individual accounts allow us to buy each other gifts or just fun things we want for ourselves without consulting each other.  It's understood that, in case of a crisis, all money comes from the same pocket. 

We gave up on individual anniversary gifts years ago. Buying a new rug for the living room or a new mattress was far more satisfying than buying jewelry or electronic gadgets.     

I once worked with a woman who wanted to buy her DH a magazine subscription for his Birthday.  They only had one checking account. She paid me the cash and I wrote the check for the subscription.  Our way is a lot easier. 

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #489 on: August 23, 2013, 09:11:31 PM »
My husband and and I prefer to celebrate our anniversary by doing things, since we both have a bit of a hard time buying gifts for each other. Birthday and Christmas is plenty!

But what we end up doing with gift purchases is that my husband barely looks at our bank transactions as it is (I'm the one who primarily manages our money), and I just become willfully ignorant of what he is spending around gift-giving times. It hasn't been a problem so far.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #490 on: August 23, 2013, 10:35:32 PM »
We just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary.  No one even knew or remembered.  (I would be surprised if anyone did.)  I don't remember anyone else's either.  We're not big on anniversary gifts, so just went out to dinner.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

snowdragon

« Reply #491 on: August 23, 2013, 11:31:40 PM »
My birthday comes up soon and I have a concert ticket for Beethoven's 9th!

I am unbelievably jealous!  I am learning to play that and would love to hear it done live - the way it's supposed to sound

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #492 on: August 23, 2013, 11:35:21 PM »

BTW, we no longer give gifts to each other for anniversaries. It got too strange (especially when I am reconciling accounts every month), when we have commingled finances and bank accounts. Is that weird?

We never have, and we started not getting each othe gifts years ago. Neither one of us likes the pressure or the stupid choices we make because we have to.

We have been a couple since 1964, married in 1966. That's  lot of birthdays, anniversaries, Christmases, Valentine Days, not to mention Mothers' and Fathers' Days to waste a lot of money on clutter  we don't really want or need. It is much more special whenwe really do find the perfect gift, or pick out something together, so we usually do something together.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #493 on: August 24, 2013, 08:16:24 AM »
DH is a great gift giver, to the point that I rarely have to ask for anything specific.  Last year he bought me a really nice camera. I had one but it wasn't doing so well (Nikon Coolpixes have very flimsy catches on their battery compartments and I was having to duct tape it shut) so he got me a Canon Powershot for Christmas.  He's really good at listening to people and knowing what they like. 

The first Christmas he spent with my family he gave my mom a set of nature sound DVD to listen to in her office and got my dad a nice travel case for his laptop for when he went on business trips.  Both liked their gifts and were surprised that this kid who barely knew them got such great gifts.  Turns out he'd just listened to me when I'd talk about them.

And he used to be hard to buy for until he became a Brony. It's not that I didn't listen to what he liked, but he was one of those people who would buy what he wanted when he saw it.   My first gift to him was the soundtrack of Riverdance and when I brought it with me, he'd just bought it for himself.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #494 on: August 24, 2013, 07:28:44 PM »
My Dad used to do that - just buy things for himself whenever. I finally told him one year that he wasn't allowed to shop for himself between October 1 and Christmas without consulting me and/or Mom first, so we'd have half a chance of getting him something he actually wanted for Christmas.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture