Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 45593 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #510 on: August 28, 2013, 10:05:13 AM »
My birthday comes up soon and I have a concert ticket for Beethoven's 9th!

I am unbelievably jealous!  I am learning to play that and would love to hear it done live - the way it's supposed to sound

One of my all-time favorite flash mobs.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Redwing

« Reply #511 on: August 28, 2013, 10:19:03 AM »

Artk2002, thank you!  That was fantastic!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #512 on: August 28, 2013, 10:38:27 AM »
I know a mother who never takes her child to the same doctor twice. She gets his annual physicals at the independent urgent care centers. He is extremely small for his age and has a noticeable tick (both physical and verbal) that hinders his progress in school and social activities. He also has big issues with physical boundaries, wants to touch and hit everyone, in a playful manner according to the mom.

She and his father are so ehell bent on their son not being labeled that they refuse to even check if treatment is available. I gave her the cut once I realized this is not about the son, this is about them not wanting to have to do anything to help him.

He has been moved from school to school every year as well.  >:(

I'm surprised that his situation hasn't been brought to the attention of appropriate authorities (DCSF or whatever it is called there).  As a teacher, if I thought a child's needs were being deliberately neglected, I think I would have reported it.  I suppose that perhaps since he continuously changes both doctors AND schools, no one realizes that this is an ongoing thing.  Poor kid!   :(

Betelnut

"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #514 on: August 28, 2013, 10:51:24 AM »
I know a mother who never takes her child to the same doctor twice. She gets his annual physicals at the independent urgent care centers. He is extremely small for his age and has a noticeable tick (both physical and verbal) that hinders his progress in school and social activities. He also has big issues with physical boundaries, wants to touch and hit everyone, in a playful manner according to the mom.

She and his father are so ehell bent on their son not being labeled that they refuse to even check if treatment is available. I gave her the cut once I realized this is not about the son, this is about them not wanting to have to do anything to help him.

He has been moved from school to school every year as well.  >:(

I'm surprised that his situation hasn't been brought to the attention of appropriate authorities (DCSF or whatever it is called there).  As a teacher, if I thought a child's needs were being deliberately neglected, I think I would have reported it.  I suppose that perhaps since he continuously changes both doctors AND schools, no one realizes that this is an ongoing thing.  Poor kid!   :(

I was in a position to report neglect or abuse, but when I called, they told me this didn't fall under the requirements for either. I also failed to mention, there is no medical record trail for this boy, who is now 15.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #515 on: August 28, 2013, 11:08:33 AM »

I was in a position to report neglect or abuse, but when I called, they told me this didn't fall under the requirements for either. I also failed to mention, there is no medical record trail for this boy, who is now 15.

Now that's discouraging.   >:(

I know that in our state when we got a new student, we asked for their records from their old school at the time of enrollment.  Yes, they are sometimes "cleaned up" before they're sent out, but occasionally a teacher, school nurse, or other staff will enclose a note or make a notation on the folder itself if there have been perceived issues that have been unresolved.  Of course, I'm thinking of several years ago.  Maybe the "rules" have all changed since then. 

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #516 on: August 28, 2013, 01:29:11 PM »

You're welcome. I think the original thanks go to EHellDame. I know that she likes flash mobs and I think (dim memory here), that she posted it on the blog originally.

I love seeing the faces of the people watching, especially the kids.

Tears...

Yeah, me too. I forgot to include that piece in the "Songs that make you cry" thread.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

stkatie00

« Reply #517 on: August 28, 2013, 01:55:20 PM »

You're welcome. I think the original thanks go to EHellDame. I know that she likes flash mobs and I think (dim memory here), that she posted it on the blog originally.

I love seeing the faces of the people watching, especially the kids.

Tears...

Yeah, me too. I forgot to include that piece in the "Songs that make you cry" thread.

I loved that! Thanks so much for sharing it! And I love the looks on the kids faces too.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #518 on: November 05, 2013, 01:28:08 PM »
Just a fast food funny that had me rolling my eyes a bit . . .

I went to a drive-thru last night and ordered a garden salad.

Fast Food Box: What kind of dressing would you like?

Me: Garlic, please.

FFB: Will that be all?

Me: I'd also like other stuff, please, and that's it.

FFB: Okay that was other stuff and a garden salad with thousand island dressing.

Me: I'd like garlic dressing please.

FFB: Oh. We don't have that.

Me (thinking you couldn't have said that in the first place? ??? No biggie.): Thousand island is fine.

I got home with our meal and guess what kind of dressing I had?

French. ::)

I don't know why, but that just sent me into a giggle fit. ;D

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #519 on: November 05, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »
I was talking to a friend and she was Female Dog about how much they spend on halloween candy every year.  Her DH spent $500 on halloween candy and they ran out in 2 hours.   ??? ??? ???  I thought he was buying full bars or something, but no it was just was bags of mixed snack size from Sam's (the one that has Reese's, kitkats and such, it's 55 oz)...which run about $11.00 a bag and IMO are huge. 

That's over 40 bags and about 150 lbs worth of candy. I'd seriously find something else to do that day because there is no way I'd be spending that on candy every year.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #520 on: November 05, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »
I was talking to a friend and she was Female Dog about how much they spend on halloween candy every year.  Her DH spent $500 on halloween candy and they ran out in 2 hours.   ??? ??? ???  I thought he was buying full bars or something, but no it was just was bags of mixed snack size from Sam's (the one that has Reese's, kitkats and such, it's 55 oz)...which run about $11.00 a bag and IMO are huge. 

That's over 40 bags and about 150 lbs worth of candy. I'd seriously find something else to do that day because there is no way I'd be spending that on candy every year.

Were the kids taking more than one piece of candy?

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #521 on: November 05, 2013, 07:54:20 PM »

Were the kids taking more than one piece of candy?

I have no idea.  Even if they were taking a few pieces, it's still a crazy amount of candy.

I only get one bag a year and give out a handful each and still have a ton left most years.  I just can't imagine going through over 40 bags of candy in 2 hours or so.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

andi

« Reply #522 on: November 05, 2013, 10:12:16 PM »
Wow - I felt like I went overboard with 3 bags. The main streets of our old neighborhood were like that - swarms of kids schlepped in from other areas. I felt bad for the people on those streets - I'd be turning off my light early

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #523 on: November 05, 2013, 11:29:28 PM »
I only had one bag.  And there was candy left over.  Our neighborhood is not really set up for Trick or Treat.  It's very dark and the houses are pretty far apart.

Betelnut

« Reply #524 on: November 06, 2013, 11:55:30 AM »
I've had to buy 5-6 bags and ran out but even 5-6 bags are only about 30 bucks.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently