Author Topic: Meanness  (Read 6246 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Meanness
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »
It's not etiquette's place to tell people what to *think*, but it is its place to tell people what to *say*.

Rejoicing in anyone's, even a political figure's, death is not within the realm of socially acceptable conversation. It's talking politics with a capital "P," and worse, can be construed as saying, "And any of you out there that liked his/her policies, I wish the same thing on you!" It's a nuclear option in conversation.

Of course, the opposite is true, and if you're going to cry on someone's shoulder about the death of Politician X, best make sure that that person shares your high opinion. (Yes, I did once have to comfort a distraught friend sobbing about the death of a politician I did not hold in high regard. It's part of the job of friendship.)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 11:53:34 AM »
That said, I personally don't feel comfortable with the 'dance on the grave' mentality regardless of whether it's being applied to a politician, or a mass murderer.

That pretty well sums up my feelings on the matter. Celebrating someone's death or making OTT comments about it, even if the person was an evil so-and-so, is just crass. If Fred Phelps (Westboro Baptist Church) died tomorrow I would think - and probably say out loud - "No loss" but that would be the end of it.

In the case of the death of a politician that some folks actually did like, I feel that celebrating is even worse, as it's a slap in the face to the people who supported that politician. What's wrong with just saying that you strongly disliked the politician's policies and views, then moving on with your life rather than breaking out the champagne and making Ding Dong the Witch is Dead your ringtone?
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2013, 12:25:56 PM »
I think that regardless of your personal feelings about a dead politician or another public figure what is required is decorum.

I agree. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2013, 01:50:02 PM »
It could be said that it's unfair for those of you who have not been affected by Thatcherism to judge those who have for their reactions to her death.

I agree with you.

Also:

This morning, after the death of Margaret Thatcher was announced, I came across someone saying they would dance on her grave for the (perceived) horrible things English people suffered when she was prime minister.

I hope this wasn't meant as offensively and dismissively as it came across. For thousands, millions of people in the UK, there was absolutely *nothing* 'perceived' about it.

My personal opinion is that the time for celebration was when she was ousted from office, rather than on the occasion of the death of a now elderly and frail woman with Alzheimers, but I can absolutely see why some people hold the strong opinions that they do about this matter.

I did not mean offense from what I wrote. However, no matter what happened politically, to my knowledge Margaret Thatcher did nothing personally to the people of the UK. I am able to separate politics from the person, which may be the reason I can see the loss of the person as a loss.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2013, 02:22:24 PM »
Actually, I'm rather curious about something also as I don't know where everyone on the board is from.  But, for those of you in America who feel that celebrating the death of Margaret Thatcher is not appropriate - did you feel the same way about those who celebrated the death of Osama Bin Laden?

I'm from the States. I was appalled at the scenes shown of people celebrating his death in front of our White House. Was I glad he was dead, yes. Though I would have preferred a live capture and him being tried for his actions, I understood why that could not happen.

But he was still a human with many people who did follow him. And while I do not condone his actions in anyway nor his followers, there is no reason to publically celebrate his death.

But I am having a very hard time with the comparison of Ms. Thatcher with Bin Laden.