Author Topic: Asking for directions  (Read 2345 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Asking for directions
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 09:50:51 AM »
Count me with the "Headphones mean leave me be" crowd. I don't wear them often, but when I do, it's because I don't want to talk or be disturbed. I think since they're devices that are specifically designed to block out sound, it's fair to assume that the person wearing them isn't actively looking for conversation and probably doesn't expect to be part of one.

I thought they were specifically designed to keep *your* sound from bothering other people.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 09:51:03 AM »
Count me with the "Headphones mean leave me be" crowd. I don't wear them often, but when I do, it's because I don't want to talk or be disturbed. I think since they're devices that are specifically designed to block out sound, it's fair to assume that the person wearing them isn't actively looking for conversation and probably doesn't expect to be part of one.

See, I don't wear them to not be disturbed, I wear them because I want to listen to music while I'm walking, something to keep me from being bored so to speak.  I'm not actively pushing away conversation, I'm just keeping my mind occupied while I walk.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Calistoga

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 09:59:09 AM »
I thought they were specifically designed to keep *your* sound from bothering other people.

The design- smooshed up inside your ears or covering them entirely- is so that you can hear your own music/books over the noise of other stuff as well as not bother them. But even if you aren't playing music on them, you're ability to hear other stuff is compromised. I don't think it's possible to put on/in headphones and still hear as well as you would without them on.

There are plenty of people who wear headphones and don't mind if you bother them. There are also plenty of people who do mind. Since they design of a headphone blocks out sound for the listener, it seems a lot safer to assume they don't want to be disturbed than to assume they're fine with it.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »

For me, it's a bit of both.  But I wear noise canceling headphones due to my range of hearing being greater than what is considered normal.  So, I'll probably still hear you but I am going to ask you to repeat your question so I know exactly what I'm answering.  :)

However, if I have my headphones on, it's to make sure that I don't have a public meltdown.  I do not tolerate people's voices very well due to said hearing.  On any given day, everyone can sound like the volume is turned up to 11.  However, if I'm out during one of those days, I keep my headphones on and I don't make eye contact with people.  Am I rude?  Maybe, but it's a bit of self preservation and to keep myself from making a scene and/or having to deal with a migraine later because someone asked a question.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »

I do not tolerate people's voices very well due to said hearing.  On any given day, everyone can sound like the volume is turned up to 11.  However, if I'm out during one of those days, I keep my headphones on and I don't make eye contact with people.

That's it! I would never try to ask you. It's body language that simply says, "Please don't bother me."

Admittedly, some people don't read even that strong body language well or after the first rebuff, but most of us do.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 12:29:38 AM »

See, I don't wear them to not be disturbed, I wear them because I want to listen to music while I'm walking, something to keep me from being bored so to speak.  I'm not actively pushing away conversation, I'm just keeping my mind occupied while I walk.

Same here. Like Luci45 wrote, body language has a lot to do with it as well. I don't think headphones alone means "Don't disturb' - they certainly don't when I'm wearing them!

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Calistoga

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 09:25:25 AM »
Oddly enough someone mentioned that they'd never bother someone who was reading... I have less of a problem if you stop me while I'm reading than if you stop me while I have headphones in, just because it's harder to stop music and remove the headphones than it is to look up and see what you need.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who wear headphones but don't mind being bothered...but like I said, I would err on the side of caution unless there are no other reasonable options.