Author Topic: Wearing a headscarf if non Muslim?  (Read 3804 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

StoutGirl

  • Jr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 99
Re: Wearing a headscarf if non Muslim?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 12:59:37 PM »
What a coincidence!  I read an article this morning about what to wear when you are abroad.  They said for the Middle East that American clothing is acceptable, but be modest.  No shorts, tank tops, cleavage, or midriffs.  They did warn that some people might make rude comments about you being an obvious foreigner, especially if you are blonde.  It would be in the best interest for you and your safety to blend in a little bit.  Have fun and be safe on your trip to Dubai!  I am jealous!

daen

  • Member
  • **
  • Posts: 888
Re: Wearing a headscarf if non Muslim?
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »

<snip>

On our way to the trail head in Montana, we stopped at a Hooterite farm produce stand and bought eggs and breads and all kinds of yummy stuff.  I got asked to please wait back in the car, as it was uncomfortable to all the staff that I was so unclothed.  All of the male staff were wearing black pants and white shirts and black hats, and the women had full length (or lower calf length) dresses with long sleeves and high necks, and white cotton caps covering all their hair.
<snip>

I almost ended up with tea on my monitor.
 
"Hooterite" sounds like a refugee from one of those restaurants where attribute size appears to be part of the hiring policy, and couldn't be further from the appearance you describe. ;D

There are similar groups of people in my area, but their preferred spelling is "Hutterite."

jmarvellous

  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 3615
Re: Wearing a headscarf if non Muslim?
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 04:32:46 PM »

<snip>

On our way to the trail head in Montana, we stopped at a Hooterite farm produce stand and bought eggs and breads and all kinds of yummy stuff.  I got asked to please wait back in the car, as it was uncomfortable to all the staff that I was so unclothed.  All of the male staff were wearing black pants and white shirts and black hats, and the women had full length (or lower calf length) dresses with long sleeves and high necks, and white cotton caps covering all their hair.
<snip>

I almost ended up with tea on my monitor.
 
"Hooterite" sounds like a refugee from one of those restaurants where attribute size appears to be part of the hiring policy, and couldn't be further from the appearance you describe. ;D

There are similar groups of people in my area, but their preferred spelling is "Hutterite."

I admit to cracking up at this for the same reason. And also to being pretty jealous -- I'd love to visit a Hutterite community.

menley

  • Member
  • **
  • Posts: 714
Re: Wearing a headscarf if non Muslim?
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »
Wearing a headscarf is actually required of all women, even non-Muslims, if you plan to tour any mosques while in Dubai.

I was in Dubai in November and was quite surprised by the range of clothing. There was everything from a girl in a tank top and tiny shorts to a woman covered head to toe (without even eye slits). No one seemed fazed by either extreme or anything in between :) It is a very international city, something like only 20% of the population are nationals, with the remaining 80% being expats.

Peregrine

  • Member
  • **
  • Posts: 463
Re: Wearing a headscarf if non Muslim?
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
The only thing I would say, is that if you are going to wear one, make absolutely sure that you know how to wear it correctly, and that you know the religious significance of any native dress you intend to wear.

I haven't really read up on the religious significance of wearing a headscarf, or any of the other Islamic coverings.  I probably would err on the side of not wearing one myself (especially in less restrictive Dubai), rather opting for a large scarf that I could throw over my head and shoulders.

Amanita

  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1454
  • San Francisco I miss you!
Re: Wearing a headscarf if non Muslim?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 02:55:47 AM »
The mosque tours were one reason why I was thinking of bringing a headscarf in the first place- they ask women to cover their heads, which is entirely reasonable.
As for wearing it right, that's why I was looking at the pull-on style, which are designed for ease of use while keeping everything covered.