General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Ah! I didn't meant that at all!

<< < (2/2)

Lynn2000:

--- Quote from: LazyDaisy on April 09, 2013, 05:35:41 PM ---If someone asks you about it directly, you can clarify you didn't say that, but please for the love of all that is holy, please don't reply all to the email. I say this as someone who gets emails on subjects I care nothing about, and then the rely all emails to follow.

Mostly, I would remain silent. Let the email reflect on the sender. Did she/he word the email exactly like you did? If I read it the way you wrote it -- someone was fixing the issue and then a snark about whoever set it up needing training -- I wouldn't necessarily think you said that exact quote; I would assume it was a statement by the email author.

--- End quote ---

This is where I land. Maybe you could have someone you trust read the email and see if they read it as a quote from you, or unprofessional snark from the sender.

If you do reply all, maybe do so only to document the issue and solution accurately, if that would be something you'd normally do in this situation. Like, "Regarding the document Sue mentioned, it was given to me because it was freezing and crashing. I discovered that the problem was X, which I fixed by doing Y. If anyone has this problem in the future, please try Y first, and if it doesn't work, I'll be happy to help you further." Or whatever answer is appropriate, without addressing the snarky comment. It will only look bad for Sue, I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version