Author Topic: Giving/receiving unsolicited advice  (Read 2566 times)

Coralreef

Re: Giving/receiving unsolicited advice
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »
Unsolicited advice is also one of my pet peeves.  Usually, I only answer "I see."

[/right

Calistoga

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 12:21:27 PM »
For me it depends on the person and my relationship with them.

For some reason when people who are considerably older than me give me unsolicited advice, it really bugs me, even if we are pretty close. Unless it's my mother or someone I really trust, I just get irritated by it.

When it's people my age whom I'm friends with, it doesn't bother me as much because it's someone who's usually in my shoes at time time.

If it's a stranger then they need to get on. I don't want advice from strangers.

Hawkwatcher

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
I agree with Calistoga that it depends on the person on my relationship with that person.  It also depends on the type of advice that individual was giving.  If my boss were to give me unsolicited advice about new advances in my field, I would be happy to accept her advice.

I also welcome unsolicited advice from people who are recognized experts in their field about their field.  For example, I would be thrilled to get acting advice from Meryl Streep if I wanted to become an actress. 

But I get annoyed when random people give me unsolicited advice.  No, I am not interested in career advice from a person who I just met 5 seconds ago and who works in a completely different field. 

I also get annoyed with people who think that because they are an expert in one thing, they are an expert in all things.  While I may respect my boss's professional expertise, this does not mean that I would welcome her advice in unrelated areas such as marriage or diet.

lmyrs

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 02:22:23 PM »
I don't know - I think it is a completely unique situation every single time. I mean, if I was scanning my sister's company's website and I realized that the small white print on the black background made it really impossible to read the words, I would fire her a text that said something like, "I was looking at your website and the white text with black background is really hard for your old sister to read. You might want to consider changing that." I'd stay away from "you should".

But, if my sister was mad at me for that because in her mind it was obvious that it was a problem and she planned on fixing it eventually, I think that my sister would be out of line. Because how would I know that she thought that? I mean, if she looked at her website and realized it was unreadable, I would think she would change it right away and if it hasn't been changed I will assume that she doesn't see the issue.

However, it is unclear to me what your scenario actually is. If your website is a complete disaster visually and it's been that way for a while, I'm not surprised that a friend has come to you and said something. Because they probably think you don't realize it or you would have changed it by now. But, that may or may not be your situation