Author Topic: Music around the house  (Read 458 times)

reflection5

Music around the house
« on: April 09, 2013, 06:22:39 PM »
I like to vary the music I play at home depending on what I'm doing.

House cleaning - oldies (60s, 70s, 80s, and some 90s) or Broadway show tunes.

On the computer, washing & styling hair  - jazz or classical

(If I'm cooking, I prefer TV (news or a talk or game show) in the background even if I'm not watching).

How about you?

Nikko-chan

Re: Music around the house
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:00:24 PM »
Usually only when cleaning. Hunter Hayes and Evanescence are my current two favorites.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 09:12:59 PM »
Housework or doing things in the kitchen:  Al Green's Greatest Hits, Randy Travis, il Volo, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Everly Brothers, Jimmy Durante, Tommy Dorsey or other big band music from the 20's, 30's 40's.  Blues from Leadbelly and the like, Gregorian Chant, Enrico Caruso. 
Working on the computer:  Any old country music, R and B from the 50's and DooWop, Neil Young, Joe Cocker
Juswt listening:  Any of the above, plus more. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

reflection5

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
Some good stuff, Bijou.

I should have been more specific about my choices.

House cleaning:  West Side Story and A Chorus Line, Barry White's Greatest Hits, anything by Sinatra, and most disco tunes help keep my energy level up.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
Between Husband's love for the Ministry of Sound and my addiction to the 80's and 90's, we have a rather eclectic mix in this house. I don't really have specific playlists that I use for various situations, but I do *always* have music on when I'm in the shower - it's a hangover from living in a house with tank water and limiting showers to ~4 minutes = approx the length of a pop song.

So now, even though I can spend as long as I like in the shower, I still play *something* while I'm in there.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

mmswm

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 10:03:29 PM »
I have a rather eclectic taste in music.  I enjoy:

-"Classical", in quotes because in general use that term covers music from Gregorian Chant, Baroque, Classical, Romantic and 20th century orchestral, chamber and choral music.  I have a strong preference for the Russian and Eastern European Romantic era composers, but very little tolerance for most romantic era composers from Western Europe. I also enjoy the latter half of Beethoven's compositions, and a select handful of works by some of the more well known composers of the Baroque and Classical eras. My favorite composers are Alexander Borodin (except Prince Igor) and Camille Saint-Saens.  I generally don't like Stravinsky, but I just LOVE Pulcinella.  Stravinsky, however, is more 20th century than romantic.

-I'm hit or miss with show tunes.

-Certain Country tunes make great housekeeping music, and I keep my car radio on a country music station.

-Bands/Rock music: My favorite band is They Might Be Giants.  I also adore Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons. I'm also a big fan of Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, The Eagles, and most of the more popular artists of the 70's and 80's.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

EllenS

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 10:04:42 PM »
Cleaning: The Chieftains, Get Shorty soundtrack, or Bend it Like Beckham soundtrack.
Kids playing: Kids classics, Baby Loves Jazz, The Nutcracker, Fantasia, or O Brother Where Art Thou
When I'm writing: Elgar, Vaughn Williams, or Django Reinhardt and LQdHCdF

reflection5

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:34:48 PM »
Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons

Great house cleaning or exercising music.  Impossible not to move.  (I missed Jersey Boys when it came here  :( )