Author Topic: Traveling to the Mid-Atlantic Region  (Read 1349 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Traveling to the Mid-Atlantic Region
« on: April 10, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »
We will be traveling to West Virginia, Virginia, DC, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia in late July. Any tips or suggestions would be welcome!

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Traveling to the Mid-Atlantic Region
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »
We took a Segway Tour (through Segs in the City although there are others) in Washington DC to see the memorials.  It was quite fun!

Ygraine

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:24:31 AM »
For Virginia - do not miss Colonial Williamsburg. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 09:37:40 AM »
Even the kids were impressed with Monticello (Thomas Jefferson), Ash Lawn (James Monroe), and Mt. Vernon (George Washington).

For scenery, try to travel part of the Blue Ridge Parkway - North Carolina thru Shenandoah National Park in VA. Any part of the drive is great!

The most impressive thing to me is Arlington National Cemetery.

You are giving me travel lust again!

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »
In DC take the twilight tour; it's done by Tourmobile and while the only downside is that it's dark when you get to the FDR memorial it's still pretty cool. Stay at the Hotel Harrington, it's within walking distance of almost everything in the city. A visit to the Holocaust Museum is a must--it's emotionally draining but so worth it.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »
I was recently in DC and went to mt Vernon - beautiful place. apparently you can also take a boat tour/view in the nicer weather (when i was there it was too cold/raining).

a bit further away in baltimore you can visit fort mchenry which is very nice, and gives the story of the battles and the star spangled banner. plus, downtown baltimore is very cool. we also visited anapolis which is very cool to walk around, and there is the state capital and the naval yard.

I second the suggestion to drive through shenandoah - it's really nice.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 11:57:23 AM »
Thank you and keep them coming.

DH and DS will be attending the national Scout jamboree in WV. We decided to have an eight day vacation tacked on to the end. DS and I have never been to DC or anywhere else on our itinerary. We are very excited.

Our current plans, I will drive through from Florida, stopping overnight in NC, then pick them up and head to DC. We have hotel reservations in Alexandria, VA. We also booked the capitol tour through our representative. We stay in the DC area for 5 days, then head to Chinocteague reserve, Raleigh, Charleston, and Savannah before heading home.

Hillcatlady

• "I cannot live without books" ~ Thomas Jefferson
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »
For Georgia, you may want to check out Stone Mountain. Some call it the Rushmore of the East. I can't remember how far from Atlanta it is however.

In South Carolina, Charleston is lovely with a couple of plantations and other historical houses open to tourists. Sweetgrass baskets made by the locals are one of the things sold to tourists and some of them are real works of art. You'll find less touristy prices if you drive along route 17 north, heading towards Myrtle Beach.

As for Myrtle Beach, I haven't been there in a VERY long time so I can't recommend it.

In North Carolina, if you are into kitsch check out South of the Border on rte 95 at the border of North and South Carolina. SotB has existed for at least 50 years in the same spot and is a bit of a tourist trap.

Also in North Carolina I would recommend The Biltmore in Asheville and Chimney Rock near Lake Lure. If you are into poetry, Carl Sanderberg's house is south of Asheville and is open to the public for tours. The blue ridge parkway also runs through there as well and you can find the NC arboretum and the arts and Crafts center on the parkway.

There are a TON of caves along rte 81 in Virginia - Lurray is the most famous of them. For a bit of fun, you can visit Foamhenge ! Also there are several civil war sites along the highway as well.

Can you tell I travel in the area a lot? ;)

Good luck and have fun!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:29:12 PM by Hillcatlady »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »
There's plenty to do and see in DC> you could spend your whole time at teh various Smithsonian museums!  I also recommend the National Zoo, if you're into that, and something not as "fun" but definitely worth seeing, the National Holecaust Museum, again, if that is something you might be interested in. Its free to get in, but I believe you have to get tickets for specific times, ahead of time.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 12:21:19 PM »
National Zoo is on our list, the Natural History museum, Air & Space museum, and the national botanical gardens. We would like to see all of the monuments and memorials we can, without getting overloaded. The Holocaust memorial is on our list.

Promise

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:23:26 PM »
In DC take the twilight tour; it's done by Tourmobile and while the only downside is that it's dark when you get to the FDR memorial it's still pretty cool. Stay at the Hotel Harrington, it's within walking distance of almost everything in the city. A visit to the Holocaust Museum is a must--it's emotionally draining but so worth it.

I agree about the nighttime tour. Seeing the memorials at night feels like you are in a movie. It also puts you in a contemplative state of mind. You view the war memorials with a heightened sense of empathy.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 12:26:56 PM »
National Zoo is on our list, the Natural History museum, Air & Space museum, and the national botanical gardens. We would like to see all of the monuments and memorials we can, without getting overloaded. The Holocaust memorial is on our list.

The Holecaust Museum will take several hours to go through; but well worth it. Actually, most of what you have listed will take the better portion of a day, so it sounds like you will be quite busy!  And while I don't live there, I have visted, and I'd recommend parking the car and taking the Metro as much as you can. Much easier and even though its pricy, i'm betting still cheaper than battling traffic, hunting down and paying for parking.

anniehawks

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 12:27:47 PM »
If you like adventure on your vacation, that part of West Virginia is the place to be:  http://www.adventurewestvirginia.com/site/adventure-resort.html   

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
If you're in Georgia, see if you can go to Savannah. A lovely city, quite small and relatively unspoiled in the downtown area. Food is wonderful.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 12:32:03 PM »
Our hotel in Alexandria has a shuttle that connects to the Metro. I imagine the car will remain parked most of the time.

I desperately need restaurant recommendations, as I would prefer to avoid chain restaurants as much as possible. We would like to have one splurge meal, and the remainder under $20 per person. Breakfast is included with our hotel.

Thank you to all the posters!