Author Topic: Traveling to the Mid-Atlantic Region  (Read 1347 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Traveling to the Mid-Atlantic Region
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 12:34:01 PM »
On the coast of Georgia very near the border with Florida is a Turtle sanctuary on Jekyll Island. I am a sucker for sea turtles. They have the hospital open for self tours, and you can see the lab notes on each one.

It is a very short stop. One of my favorite places when we travel the coast.

o_gal

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 03:17:41 PM »
For Georgia, you may want to check out Stone Mountain. Some call it the Rushmore of the East. I can't remember how far from Atlanta it is however.

Stone Mountain is cool, but technically it's a memorial to the leaders of a nation that went to war with the USA. Some people are not bothered by this but others are, so just FYI. It's also something that you will need a car to drive out to visit (but it's not too far), but it sounds like you only plan to park your car when you have access to things like the Metro. The hike to the top is a little strenous but not bad, and you can do it at your own pace rather than waiting in line for the cable car to the top. The views at the top are great.

My DH and DS will also be at the Jamboree but I'll be at home enjoying peace and quiet  8)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 03:20:52 PM »
I am picking them up, which involves driving on the property on the last day! I will enjoy peace and quiet during the one week DS is away and then the second week when they are both there. Can you send me a PM of which contingent they are with?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »
Our hotel in Alexandria has a shuttle that connects to the Metro. I imagine the car will remain parked most of the time.

I desperately need restaurant recommendations, as I would prefer to avoid chain restaurants as much as possible. We would like to have one splurge meal, and the remainder under $20 per person. Breakfast is included with our hotel.

Thank you to all the posters!

All I can recommend and I'm not quite sure where it is, for yummy pizza, the Mellow Mushroom. its in the Adams Morgan section - 2436 18th St NW  Washington, DC 20009
 but i coudln't tell you where that is in relation to anything else.

They have funky pizzas; and other menu items and its not too pricy. you should be able to stay under your budget here.

magicdomino

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 03:55:11 PM »
When you are exploring the Mall museums, have lunch at the American Indian museum's cafeteria.  Based on native American foods, it's the best food on the Mall.  Like the museums, though, it closes at 5:00. 

http://nmai.si.edu/visit/washington/mitsitam-cafe/

Jaleo is fun.  They serve Spanish tapas, small plates like appetizers that you can share.  Figure two to three per adult.  I can't remember how far it is from the Mall though.  There is also a location in Crystal City.

http://www.jaleo.com/dc/menu

In that same general area is Teaism, sort of fancy fast food.

https://teaism.com/Restaurant/Home2.html

Syfygeek

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 04:15:11 PM »
In NC- 2 hours west of Raleigh is Old Salem Museums & Gardens in Winston-Salem.

Salem was settled in 1766 by Moravian Settlers who fled from Germany to Pennsylvania to avoid religious persecution. Their records are amazingly detailed, so the the historic buildings have been restored to the exact specifications they were originally built to, and are staffed by costumed interpreters.

There are historic gardens to see, along with the Historic town, and the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts houses objects dating from the 1600's through the mid-1800's that were made in the Southern regions.

Have a fun trip!
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
If you're in Alexandria, try some place that serves good she-crab soup, if it's available.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 10:04:23 AM »
I desperately need restaurant recommendations, as I would prefer to avoid chain restaurants as much as possible. We would like to have one splurge meal, and the remainder under $20 per person. Breakfast is included with our hotel.

If you want good restaurant recommendations, go to chowhound.com and get onto the Washington DC &Baltmore boards.  Lots of good stuff there.   I live close by, in Laurel, but I rarely go into DC nowadays, except for some festivals and Eastern Market.   I agree with the metro recommendations, though.  DC metro is really good and will get you there.  WMATA.com will give you maps and show you all the places you can get from the metro.   Just off the Green/Yellow lines, the U Street station, there are several really tasty Ethopian restaurants around there. 

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 10:12:07 AM »

Abbey Road in Virginia Beach (if you're doing a stop there btw). Quirky place with good food.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »

If you want good restaurant recommendations, go to chowhound.com and get onto the Washington DC &Baltmore boards.  Lots of good stuff there.   I live close by, in Laurel, but I rarely go into DC nowadays, except for some festivals and Eastern Market.   I agree with the metro recommendations, though.  DC metro is really good and will get you there.  WMATA.com will give you maps and show you all the places you can get from the metro.   Just off the Green/Yellow lines, the U Street station, there are several really tasty Ethopian restaurants around there.

I've also had good luck with the trip advisor forums - you migh have to dig a little deeper as they cover everything, not just food, but my mom lives in a touristy area, and the recommendations I've seen there have been pretty good; also which ones to avoid!

oogyda

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 12:44:06 PM »
On your way between WV and DC, you should stop at Luray Caverns.  I would also recommend Natural Bridge and Natural Bridge Caverns.  Very cool.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
Not as well known as Williamsbug, VA, but just as historical and charming: New Bern, NC. Actually, the coastline of NC is full of fun places to visit.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 01:05:48 PM »
In Virginia -
Our favorite things so far have been Virginia Beach, Colonial Williamsburg (which is very touristy BUT the church and attached cemetery are incredible!) and historic Jamestown (as in the archaeological site) is really neat (I didn't care for the larger tourist site, it's a lot like Williamsburg). I recommend a guided tour so you get a lot more info than what you can read on the markers. The plantations between Richmond and Williamsburg are wonderful, as is Monticello. It's surreal to stand in the homes of famous former presidents!

In DC -
Our favorite museum is the Air and Space museum's Udvar-Hazy center at Dulles airport. They've got about every type of aircraft you could hope to see including a space shuttle! We've also been through the Natural History museum 2 or 3 times. DC from sunset on is beautiful, everything is lit up.

Tripadvisor is awesome for restaurant recommendations!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »
I am using TripAdvisor already, but the restaurant reviews are so extensive, I feel like I get lost!

Any whitewater rafting in the VA, NC, SC areas?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 03:31:38 PM »
I am using TripAdvisor already, but the restaurant reviews are so extensive, I feel like I get lost!

Any whitewater rafting in the VA, NC, SC areas?

You can go on the forums and ask for specifics, and generally the resposne is good. price, type of food, location...