General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Get off the phone, get off the phone, GET OFF THE PHONE!

<< < (3/3)

VltGrantham:
I'm like the unofficial, official, office manager.  I oversee the day-to-day stuff.  He doesn't really work with power tools per se, but does mostly cleaning.

It's just very aggravating to hear him make excuse after excuse why he could not get something done, yet his work volume has not increased, but his distraction level sure has.

I'm documenting it and I'm going to have a short discussion with him today when he does it--as I know he will.  Then I'm passing the information on to our supervisor.

Oh Joy:
What if you treated it like if he were on any other phone call?  Take incoming messages on paper or e-mail instead of interrupting, saying 'let me know when you're done with your call so we can talk about XYZ, leaving meetings when he's chatting, etc. 

Might be a good first step to separating the action from appropriate multitasking.

Hillia:

--- Quote from: Oh Joy on April 11, 2013, 08:50:41 AM ---What if you treated it like if he were on any other phone call?  Take incoming messages on paper or e-mail instead of interrupting, saying 'let me know when you're done with your call so we can talk about XYZ, leaving meetings when he's chatting, etc. 

Might be a good first step to separating the action from appropriate multitasking.

--- End quote ---

Running your own business, paid or not, on company time is never appropriate multitasking.  Treating it as such will muddle the situation.

Oh Joy:

--- Quote from: Hillia on April 11, 2013, 09:08:55 AM ---
--- Quote from: Oh Joy on April 11, 2013, 08:50:41 AM ---What if you treated it like if he were on any other phone call?  Take incoming messages on paper or e-mail instead of interrupting, saying 'let me know when you're done with your call so we can talk about XYZ, leaving meetings when he's chatting, etc. 

--- End quote ---

Running your own business, paid or not, on company time is never appropriate multitasking.  Treating it as such will muddle the situation.

--- End quote ---

That's what I mean.  Make it clear that when he's on his Bluetooth (doesn't matter why) he's not available for work.  If folks have been dealing with him around/during it, they're saying it's acceptable to them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version