News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 25, 2016, 11:51:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shoes off in store?  (Read 2323 times)

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
Re: Shoes off in store?
« Reply #30 on: Today at 11:01:53 AM »
I see most people do this while sitting, then if they're getting up to go pay or browse, they put their shoes back on. So you're literally just sitting barefoot, not wandering around. Wandering barefoot would be a much larger liability.

Some folks will always hate feet though, I get it. I don't think anyone is doing anything wrong.

Easter Hat

« Reply #31 on: Today at 11:18:20 AM »
I have sweaty feet.  I scrub, pedicure, polish and lotion.  I keep my shoes clean and air them out between wears.  Everything you are supposed to do in order to not have smelly feet - I do them all.  But I still have smelly feet.  Maybe not disgusting but enough that I do not share shoes and I don't like to take off shoes in public.

For me - I'd never kick off my shoe in public.  Shoe shopping is a bit of a stress even.  I have to assume that there are others people with foot issues out there and for that reason I do not like to see people getting super comfy and kicking off shoes and letting them rub against upholstery. 

Still, the fact is you collect a lot of germs and grossness after a day at the mall.  Trying on clothes, touching make-up samples, using the restroom, smelling a candle that probably 30 other people have already had close to their nose, sitting at a food court table that might not have been cleaned after the last person used it.  Sitting on a chair where a person may or may not have had gross feet on it is probably low on the germ factor and I'd probably only think of it if I witnessed it.

Yvaine

« Reply #32 on: Today at 11:23:29 AM »
Question: Do people just read the books and put them back or is it reading what you've bought? (Where I live, we've never had one of those big chain bookstores.)

Or buying what you're been reading!

The stores encourage people to sit in the store and read. A lot of times I've bought something because I read some of it in the store and liked it. Other times, I've put it back because I didn't like the bit I read. Still other times, I've gone to the cafe section, paid for drinks and snacks and the book all at once, and sat and read what I'd just bought.

Huh

« Reply #33 on: Today at 12:24:01 PM »
Question: Do people just read the books and put them back or is it reading what you've bought? (Where I live, we've never had one of those big chain bookstores.)

The stores encourage people to sit in the store and read. A lot of times I've bought something because I read some of it in the store and liked it. Other times, I've put it back because I didn't like the bit I read. Still other times, I've gone to the cafe section, paid for drinks and snacks and the book all at once, and sat and read what I'd just bought.

Thanks, I was just wondering. Like I said, we don't have a big chain around here, just a little in-mall store that has no place to sit. I had a bit of anxiety thinking about people reading the books in the store, breaking the spines as they were doing it, and then putting them back!

Yvaine

« Reply #34 on: Today at 01:13:21 PM »

Thanks, I was just wondering. Like I said, we don't have a big chain around here, just a little in-mall store that has no place to sit. I had a bit of anxiety thinking about people reading the books in the store, breaking the spines as they were doing it, and then putting them back!

I'm pretty sure they must build some damaged items into their business model. And that they must stay pretty thoroughly on top of it, because I can't remember a time I saw a damaged item on the shelf at such a store.

Huh

« Reply #35 on: Today at 02:55:17 PM »
This is where I fall, too. I'm perfectly aware that feet are necessary and useful  ;D but feet are also one of my few weak-stomach triggers. Seriously, surgeries and bleeding wounds don't bother me, but for the love of all that is sane, don't make me look at feet. With a nice pedicure and in sandals it's survivable, but I don't want to see even the pedicured, pampered foot bare in public. (I don't even like my own feet.)

With that said: I realize this is my issue, so I don't demand that people wear shoes around me. However, if I saw someone sitting with their feet in a chair, I would personally never sit in a chair in that business again.

ETA: the phrase I bolded above - if I saw someone rubbing their foot with their hands in a store, where they're handling merchandise, and they didn't immediately go wash or sanitize their hands, I'd be squicked out. Again, though, my issue. But I admit I would watch what books/merchandise they handled after that, and try to avoid it.  :-X  ;)

Oh, definitely POD all of this. Including the thing about rubbing their foot with their hands and then handling merchandise. I think I may have gagged reading that. NO. Just no.

Allyson

« Reply #36 on: Today at 03:04:06 PM »
My immediate, emotional reaction is that it's fine if you have socks on, but not bare feet. I'm not saying this is logical but that's where I fall. I have pulled my feet out of my shoes and kept them basically on top of my shoes under a table in the past, but that's as far as I'll go! I won't do it if it would be obvious to everyone. So I guess if I don't notice, I don't care!

RainyDays

« Reply #37 on: Today at 03:19:56 PM »
Ok, I must be the odd one out. I have seriously (not exaggerating) never sat in a chair with both feet on the floor for longer than maybe 10 minutes. I find it so uncomfortable. I am always with at least one foot tucked under me, though often I'll sit with one foot under and the other foot on the seat (like I'm hugging my knee). Even when writing at a desk, my feet are never on the floor.

Many of my friends sit that way too (though maybe not as frequently). I would never put my dirty shoe on furniture (a hard bench that can be brushed off, ok depending; a fabric chair? No), so that leaves kicking it off. I don't understand the perspective that if my unshod foot touches a chair, it's too gross for your pants to touch.

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #38 on: Today at 03:22:31 PM »
Ok, I must be the odd one out. I have seriously (not exaggerating) never sat in a chair with both feet on the floor for longer than maybe 10 minutes. I find it so uncomfortable. I am always with at least one foot tucked under me, though often I'll sit with one foot under and the other foot on the seat (like I'm hugging my knee). Even when writing at a desk, my feet are never on the floor.

Many of my friends sit that way too (though maybe not as frequently). I would never put my dirty shoe on furniture (a hard bench that can be brushed off, ok depending; a fabric chair? No), so that leaves kicking it off. I don't understand the perspective that if my unshod foot touches a chair, it's too gross for your pants to touch.

I'm the same way!  Sitting on my office chair with bare feet curled up under me as I write this.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #39 on: Today at 03:54:15 PM »
Yup! Sitting with my legs crossed in my office chair, about to switch to one leg bent with knee up, one leg down. Probably will sit on a leg before I get up.

I've always thought it had something to do with my flexibility or my uneven hips, but I hate sitting straight upright in a chair with both feet down.

Isisnin

« Reply #40 on: Today at 09:59:31 PM »
Another in the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" camp.

Many of the libraries I've been too have comfy chairs for their patrons. This thread makes me wonder if libraries have a policy about taking shoes off.

What say ye librarians out there?