News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 24, 2017, 12:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Biking etiquette  (Read 2490 times)

Kiwipinball

Re: Biking etiquette
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 09:57:40 PM »
OP - how many other people do you see riding abreast (and hopefully moving over)? In the absence of written rules, I agree that following the unwritten norms is the best bet. There could be some overly cranky people (it sounds like 2 yelled about riding single file, while one thought you needed to move over more); it could be you're not moving over quickly enough; or it could be you're violating an unwritten rule. Occassionally seeing people ride single file isn't enough, but if it's very commmon, just make sure you're moving over as quickly as possibly.

Isisnin

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 05:00:59 AM »
Also OP. besides how many others are riding abreast also, how many other riders don't say anything to you?

However, I do agree that it's worth researching if there are rules for that trail.

Alicia

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 06:03:00 AM »
I think side by side biking is always kinda selfish. I need to get pretty close behind someone to shout at them on your left. It isn't to get them to go single file it is to make sure they don't move left. So yes maybe not against the rules but absolutely selfish and creating a hassle for others.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 06:28:58 PM »
Also OP. besides how many others are riding abreast also, how many other riders don't say anything to you?

However, I do agree that it's worth researching if there are rules for that trail.

I actually see it quite a lot, which was another reason why I was so surprised that I was getting scolded. Also, most people don't say anything. It's only been the three grumpy men, but we've passed people enough and mostly no one says anything except for a friendly "hello!"

It's actually more of a problem with the people walking because they will usually take up the whole road and then not notice when bikes come up and don't hear/ignore bells or "on your left" but I've never thought to yell at them about it. I just can't imagine there is an expectation that people walk in single file (I've never seen it) so it seems like a double standard for bikes. But to be clear, I definitely think I would be rude if I refused to get out of the way, or was ignoring a bell or not paying attention to my surroundings and thus blocking people.

I did Google the rules and it said to share the road and stay to the right but it didn't explicitly state "single file only".

o_gal

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 09:31:16 AM »
I did Google the rules and it said to share the road and stay to the right but it didn't explicitly state "single file only".

Now you know you are in the clear, so just keep doing what you have been doing. If someone shouts at you, just wave and shout back "Thanks!" And then just keep doing what you have been doing. You sound like some of the better people who ride on the trails. The 3 Grumpy Guys can just keep on being grumpy.

Isisnin

« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 08:07:47 AM »
Podding o_gal - you're in the clear.

Out of curiosity, I checked our local trail rules and most don't address this circumstance except to say "share the road". But one very old and very popular trail: says "Bicyclists may ride two-abreast only when safe (when the bikeway is uncrowded)." A good rule of thumb for all users.

crazycatlady331

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 06:26:09 PM »
I live in a very bike friendly town (and use my own bike for grocery shopping).

If you are riding on a street that also has vehicle traffic, please obey the traffic laws.  This includes going in the same direction as the traffic (in the correct lane and on one-way streets) and stopping when the cars do (stop signs, lights, etc).

ALmost every day there's a cyclist who is either not obeying traffic signals or riding in the wrong direction.  Drives me nuts.