Author Topic: Is this rude (warning: concerns visible wounds)  (Read 3766 times)

Figgie

Re: Is this rude (warning: concerns visible wounds)
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 11:34:51 AM »
I can get away with fingers and heels.  Anywhere else, inside 10 minutes, I'm getting a rash.

I had a mole removed on the back of my left shoulder.  The doctor didn't take my adhesive allergy seriously.  When I went back the next week to have it checked, he was really concerned about how red and inflamed my skin was around the excision site.  Until I reminded him, that's the adhesive, not the excision.  ::)

Having blood drawn is always a challenge.  They insist on putting a bandage on because otherwise, you have to sit there for 10 minutes, holding it.  As soon as I get to the car, I take it off.

When they draw blood, have them put down a gauze pad over the site and then wrap the elbow with a gauze bandage.  Basically, they take a longer, thinner piece of gauze, wrap it around and over the gauze pad and tie it.  It takes very little time and eliminates the need t sit there and wait or deal with a bandage you are allergic to.  Places like Mayo Clinic pretty much only use that method after blood draws to decrease allergic reactions.

wyliefool

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »
^ If you react to adhesive, watch out for a contact latex allergy, too.  I was wearing latex gloves every day one semester at school and ended up with a rash on the backs of my hands.  Not an anaphylactic reaction, fortunately.

OP, I think I said before, it's not rude to have a visible wound.  I would just have a cool story ready to go for the people who are rude and ask you about it.  Whether it is true or not is up to you.   :)

When I had a basal cell taken off my forehead, I had to wear a huge pressure bandage on my face for the first 24 hours, and then a regular gauze/tape arrangement after that. DH spent that whole weekend saying loudly whenever we stepped on the subway 'I told you not to hit that cop w/ that champagne bottle!' or somesuch. He had such fun.  ::)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 06:37:06 PM »
I can get away with fingers and heels.  Anywhere else, inside 10 minutes, I'm getting a rash.

I had a mole removed on the back of my left shoulder.  The doctor didn't take my adhesive allergy seriously.  When I went back the next week to have it checked, he was really concerned about how red and inflamed my skin was around the excision site.  Until I reminded him, that's the adhesive, not the excision.  ::)

Having blood drawn is always a challenge.  They insist on putting a bandage on because otherwise, you have to sit there for 10 minutes, holding it.  As soon as I get to the car, I take it off.

When they draw blood, have them put down a gauze pad over the site and then wrap the elbow with a gauze bandage.  Basically, they take a longer, thinner piece of gauze, wrap it around and over the gauze pad and tie it.  It takes very little time and eliminates the need t sit there and wait or deal with a bandage you are allergic to.  Places like Mayo Clinic pretty much only use that method after blood draws to decrease allergic reactions.

When I used to donate blood, they had cling wrap but the clinic I go to for blood draws doesn't have it.  I only go every couple of years when I do my physical so I'm not too worried about it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lemonfloorwax

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 12:23:17 AM »
My mom was very paranoid about showing off her scar/partially shaved head in public after she had brain surgery when I was a teen. We bought her a lot of scarves but sadly, we lived in a VERY windy area. None stayed on very long. She got a few weird stares but no comments. After a few days, she wasn't troubled at all.
I am a huge klutz and am constantly going around with scrapes and bruises. I'm allergic to most bandages and tapes too, (we could start a club!) so I frequently go without, just a little dab of surgical glue and I'm good to go!