News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 03:58:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Hosting Guests with Pets...should I strip the bed?  (Read 167 times)

TTasha

I was following the discussion on the other thread and started to wonder...is it rude for me to strip the bedsheets if I'm a guest in someone's home? Usually if I stay over a friend's, I remove the sheets and pillowcases and remake the bed with only the comforter, leaving the used linens at the foot of the bed or in a hamper if one is provided in the room. I figure the guest room at least looks presentable before their next guest visits, the used sheets are ready to go in the wash and the bed is ready for new sheets (I don't go looking for new sheets, in case they have specific guest sheets they use). I didn't think this was rude but could it be..? So far, most of the homes I've stayed in have been very long-term, close friends.

Hmmmmm

Re: S/O Hosting Guests with Pets...should I strip the bed?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:07:49 PM »
I was following the discussion on the other thread and started to wonder...is it rude for me to strip the bedsheets if I'm a guest in someone's home? Usually if I stay over a friend's, I remove the sheets and pillowcases and remake the bed with only the comforter, leaving the used linens at the foot of the bed or in a hamper if one is provided in the room. I figure the guest room at least looks presentable before their next guest visits, the used sheets are ready to go in the wash and the bed is ready for new sheets (I don't go looking for new sheets, in case they have specific guest sheets they use). I didn't think this was rude but could it be..? So far, most of the homes I've stayed in have been very long-term, close friends.

I don't think it's rude. But I would ask the host their preference. I used to do the same as you till a friend asked me to leave the bed as is. I learned her preference was to leave the sheets on the bed and then freshly launder them before a new guest arrived. She said if they are stripped, she'll launder them then but will most likely re-wash them prior to a guest arrival because she likes the clean smell (I think her guest room was only used a few times a year) so it ends up increasing the number of times the sheets are laundered causing more wear.

Another friend has a housekeeper who comes once a week and will strip the bedding and wash. If taken them off, then they end up staying on the bed or in the hamper until the housekeeper does the laundry.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:42:13 PM »
I think you should always ask the host what they would prefer. If the host doesn't want the bed stripped, you're just making more work for them.

Margo

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:46:27 PM »
Yeah, ask first.

There are all sorts of practical reasons why someone may not want the bed stripped immediately, and it could feel like you're overstepping.
Personally, I prefer not to take the bedding off until I am ready to wash it  - which will be as soon as practical after the guest leaves, but may not be straight away.

If a guest stripped the bed without asking, I'd be irritated -I'd recognise that they were trying to be helpful, so I probably wouldn't say anything in the moment (although I'd try to remember to ask them not to do it, the next time they visited).