Author Topic: Neighbourly weirdness? (ie, not being the "weird" neighbour)  (Read 8777 times)

alkira6

Re: Neighbourly weirdness? (ie, not being the "weird" neighbour)
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
Fellow "weird" neighbor here, so no I wouldn't find this a problem. I would wait until the weekend or when I see someone already in the yard.

Eden

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »
If I'm being honest, I'd find the request weird, but not rude. And I would have no problem with you taking sticks out of my front yard. Not my backyard, though (fenced, dogs, etc).

Arrynne

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 11:51:26 AM »
You're asking politely and are willing to accept no for an answer.  Not rude or weird.  I personally would think that was pretty nifty and might ask you some questions about your hobby.

lowspark

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 11:55:19 AM »
I don't think it's all that weird and it wouldn't bother me in the least if you knocked on my door. I'd probably be happy to meet a neighbor and unless I was in the middle of something I'd at least attempt some pleasant "get to know you" conversation. I wish I was on a friendly basis with more of my neighbors but since I'm at work all day and holed up in the house in the evenings decompressing, I only know the people on my immediate short block. I say go for it!

SiotehCat

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 12:03:58 PM »
Knitterly, aren't you the poster that has two no soliciting signs on the door?

I just found the thread and it looks like I am correct. The signs are very clear that you do not like being disturbed when you are home. I think you should extend that same courtesy to your neighbors.

I vote for going to a local park. I wouldn't want to be disturbed either.

EllenS

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 12:27:58 PM »
I concur with those who recommend approaching neighbors who are already out in the yard.  I have this sort of conversation with neighbors all the time - I actually pulled over yesterday and asked my neighbor where he'd gotten his load of compost delivered from.  But I would not have knocked on the door to do it.

I did once knock on a neighbor's door to ask what type of pear tree he had in his yard.  As in, "Hi, I'm your neighbor from around the corner, and I was wondering what variety of pear your beautiful tree is.  Thank you, have a nice day."  But of course, if he had not answered or did not want to talk, I would have left immediately.  However, being a proud gardener he wanted to tell me all about the history of the tree, and we had a lovely talk.   If it had been anything where I was asking him to give me something, or do something for me (like look up a phone number, etc), I probably would not have knocked but just waited till I saw him out.

I don't think knocking is, per se, rude - that's what doors are for. I have cultivated a habit of walking in the neighborhood, so I can combine my exercise with getting to know my neighbors.   I think a lot of this may depend on the personality/culture of your neighborhood.  Ours has a lot of walkers/dog walkers/kids playing in the yard/gardeners/DIY types, so people are always out and about and talking to each other.  I have also lived in neighborhoods where you never see a human resident, only cars, and all the yard work is done by a service.  I would not ask or approach anyone in a neighborhood like that. (That's part of why we moved!)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 12:37:40 PM »
I love the weird neighbors!  The man who lives across the street from me makes his own wine and has a pet skunk!  His wine is terrible, but the skunk is precious.

I don't see a problem with knocking on a neighbor's door to ask "May I take some of your wood trimmings for a whittling project?".  If they think you're weird, so be it.  Let your freak flag fly!  ;D

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »

I just found the thread and it looks like I am correct. The signs are very clear that you do not like being disturbed when you are home. I think you should extend that same courtesy to your neighbors.

Yes.

I'm okay with my neighbours knocking my door.  Not at all cool with salesfolks doing it.
That's why there's the addendum about "girl guide cookies are always welcome".

My neighbour across the road (whom I really don't know that well) popped over with a piece of misdelivered mail and just about wet herself laughing at the sign (seriously, the solicitation in the neighbourhood is off the charts crazy).

I will stick to talking to folks who are already out doing yardwork, though.  You do make a good point about not disturbing folks.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »
I love the weird neighbors!  The man who lives across the street from me makes his own wine and has a pet skunk!  His wine is terrible, but the skunk is precious.

I don't see a problem with knocking on a neighbor's door to ask "May I take some of your wood trimmings for a whittling project?".  If they think you're weird, so be it.  Let your freak flag fly!  ;D

A few summers ago, two kids down the road were absolutely, positively convinced that I was a genuine, bonafide witch.  I think they took this impression from the long broomstick skirts I wear, the big floppy straw hats that are usually on my head all summer, and the fact that I was sitting on my front porch carding wool (I didn't have a porch or patio in the backyard yet).

Jobiska

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »
If it's weird, it's in a good way. Now normally I don't approve of people assuming a crafter is willing to give away all their work, or sell it for cheap, but if someone does give you wood and inquires about the results, depending upon the situation (how much they gave you, how long the work took) you might want to consider giving them a little creation.

With regard to parks--that land is "public property" in a way, but that doesn't mean the stuff on it is free for all.  There's a reason many natural sites have signs "take only photographs, leave only footprints."  If you feel you need to ask homeowners for their branches, wouldn't it be right to extend the same courtesy to the park owners, e.g. the municipality?  They might need the chipped wood for mulching or something! 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 12:46:58 PM »

Yes.

I'm okay with my neighbours knocking my door.  Not at all cool with salesfolks doing it.

My neighbour across the road (whom I really don't know that well) popped over with a piece of misdelivered mail and just about wet herself laughing at the sign (seriously, the solicitation in the neighbourhood is off the charts crazy).

I will stick to talking to folks who are already out doing yardwork, though.  You do make a good point about not disturbing folks.

I see a big difference between solicitors and a neighbor asking if they can pick up twigs, branches, or leaves (for science projects) from your door. Or a neighbor asking you to sign a neighborhood petition, even.

It's not about "not being disturbed"; it's about "not being approached by salespeople."

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 01:38:20 PM »
If it's weird, it's in a good way. Now normally I don't approve of people assuming a crafter is willing to give away all their work, or sell it for cheap, but if someone does give you wood and inquires about the results, depending upon the situation (how much they gave you, how long the work took) you might want to consider giving them a little creation.

With regard to parks--that land is "public property" in a way, but that doesn't mean the stuff on it is free for all.  There's a reason many natural sites have signs "take only photographs, leave only footprints."  If you feel you need to ask homeowners for their branches, wouldn't it be right to extend the same courtesy to the park owners, e.g. the municipality?  They might need the chipped wood for mulching or something!

Own it.  I'm proud to be the weird neighbor.  I used to put the speakers in the window and dance in the yard with DD and DS.  Sadly, they're too big for this to be cool anymore (7th and 9th grade), so I dance with my niece and nephew!
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

SiotehCat

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 01:45:29 PM »

Yes.

I see a big difference between solicitors and a neighbor asking if they can pick up twigs, branches, or leaves (for science projects) from your door. Or a neighbor asking you to sign a neighborhood petition, even.

It's not about "not being disturbed"; it's about "not being approached by salespeople."

One of her two signs absolutely does read as a "do not disturb" sign. I copied it below. I am on my phone, so quoting was difficult.

I think if one does not want to be disturbed, they shouldn't disturb others.

The new one reads: "Baby sleeping!  If you don't have a LEGITIMATE reason to be here, please go away.  Otherwise, please KNOCK!  Don't ring the bell.  Thank you."

snowdragon

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 01:59:11 PM »
I would not be pleased to have you pop over and knock on my door and would refuse your "request" ( I have a no trespass sign on the front lawn) .  My next door neighbor however would love to see you and would talk your ear off and a third - well you're a braver soul than I if you brave the geese in his fenced yard.

My point is everyone is going to feel differently, and as long as you take no for an answer, respect no trespassing signs and fences and don't interfere with animals - you should be ok

magicdomino

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 02:47:22 PM »

Fallen wood in national parks and forests is definitly not free for all.  While they may tolerate campers using fallen wood for firewood (I don't know the details of the rules.), you are not allowed to take so much as a cutting off of a shrub out.  Fallen wood is an important part of the ecosystem; even if Knitterly took only one or two small pieces, the next person may take an armful, and the next load up a pick-up truck.  There is also the risk of invasive pests like the emerald ash borer being transported to new areas to devestate.

I suspect municipal parks are more concerned with liability than ecosystems, but similar rules probably apply.