Author Topic: Email followup w/ interviewer--advice?  (Read 1028 times)

CakeBeret

Email followup w/ interviewer--advice?
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »
Hi folks,

Yet another job hunt question, hopefully my last. ;)

Last week I responded to an ad for a position that interested me. The ad instructed me to email my resume and offered a phone number to call for quicker consideration. I emailed my resume and called the phone number. Eventually I had a phone interview, in which I detailed my background, with the owner of the company. I had an in-person interview with the owner yesterday. Near the end of the interview he tried to pull up my resume and could not find it in his email. He asked me to email it to him when I got home. I did so (and thanked him for the interview), and have not received a response.

My concern is that somehow he is not getting my emails--perhaps my server or his is eating them, or they are getting sent to his spam folder, or something. Since he couldn't find my initial email, I wonder if he received it at all. Would it be acceptable to call him just to make sure he received my email? I certainly don't want him to think that I've neglected to follow through with sending it to him.

And a secondary question: when I emailed him the resume, I thanked him for his time in meeting with me. The interview was very laid-back, he invited me to dress down for the interview, and it's a very casual office--do I need to mail a TYN also, or is the email TY sufficient? They are also moving towards going paperless in an effort to be green, if that makes a difference.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Email followup w/ interviewer--advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 02:06:52 PM »
What type of e-mail address do you have?

If it's anything cutsie (sunflower_and_roses @ whatever) it might be directed to his spam folder.

I think it's perfectly fine for you to call him and ask if he did, in fact, receive the second e-mail you sent.

Waterlight

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 02:26:11 PM »
I think it's perfectly fine for you to call him and ask if he did, in fact, receive the second e-mail you sent.

POD this--and I'm an HR rep!  I would also not worry about sending a mailed thank-you note if your original thank-you was in the email... until you hear back for sure that your second email was NOT received.  I get email thank-yous and am just grateful to receive them; so few applicants even bother with the thank-you note these days.
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

CakeBeret

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »

If it's anything cutsie (sunflower_and_roses @ whatever) it might be directed to his spam folder.

My email address is a standard firstname, lastname gmail addy.

Thanks for the advice, I will call!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 03:21:23 PM »

Even if you have a standard gmail account, if his email address doesn't recognize your email AND it includes an attachment, it could still go to his spam or junk . (Happens to me at work, even from people i DO know...)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 04:32:09 PM »

Even if you have a standard gmail account, if his email address doesn't recognize your email AND it includes an attachment, it could still go to his spam or junk . (Happens to me at work, even from people i DO know...)

Excellent point. I know my with my work e-mail, if someone is sending a .pdf or some such thing as an attachment, if the e-mail isn't within company it will be thrown into "junk" mail or not delivered. Outside senders need to precede the attachment suffix with a code.

But with a company that receives attachment resumes, you would think that they would explain this to the applicants.

Unless they want your resume as a stand-alone e-mail and not an attachment. Which seems odd.