Author Topic: Customer Surveys - "Give me a 10"  (Read 5744 times)

MindsEye

Re: Customer Surveys - "Give me a 10"
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »
I have actually told people that I would not rate them a 10, and therefor would not be filling out the survey.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
If they want to punish staff for not getting top marks, a 10-point scale is the wrong way to go. As others have said, should a normal, though well executed, interaction be rated the same as someone who went well above the call of duty? But should the normal transaction be penalized if they just never got an opening to do more?

What they should be asking is, "Were you happy with the service you received? Yes/No/Not totally" They don't need a scale of ten to tell them if the customer was happy.

Then, "Is there anything we could have done to improve your experience?" And this should NOT reflect on staff. It should simply be treated as a suggestion box from customers, who may think of improvements that everyone else has overlooked.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »
I still won't do it. I hate companies that spend so much time and money to check up on their employees. Just pay them well, treat them well, and the customers will benefit. Why is that so hard for management to understand?! (I sometimes wish I could rate the management on the number of stupid ideas they institute. I would definitely fill out a form for that--and heading the list would be "fire the piece of rot who decided that I should donate to your corporate donation."  >:()

I am right there with you! Esp when (as someone who works in retail) we have to institute and follow each stupid corporate policy and idea.  My store doesn't have surveys, thankfully, but I can see us getting dinged on such things as not bending over backwards and violating our return policy to give a customer what they want, running out of a popular size and having to (gasp) find it for them in another store or from the catalog, or shipping on orders taking too long since we use Fed Ex Smartpost, which sends it all over heck and back.

None of which, we, the store-level employees, have any control over. But some people don't care. in their minds, if they can't get what they want, no matter what it is, then they will not rate a 10.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »
I don't mind surveys, but I once called a business and had the customer service representative dribble honey into the phone with something like, "What can I do to make your call to us a perfectly lovely and beautiful experience, dear valued customer?".  I knew they must have been told by their powers that be to be nice, and over-boardly so.  I just wanted to scream "Stop it!  You're making my ear all sticky!!!!"  If there had been a survey I don't know what I would have said!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Peregrine

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 06:16:34 PM »
I hate those stupid surveys with the fiery passion of a thousand suns......I worked at a Joanns Fabrics when we started having to do those.  We were essentially told by our upper management that the survey was designed to show a failure on our part if we got any less than a perfect score, because according to their algorithm only a perfect score indicated that the person would come back and spread good word about you in the community.

That survey nonsense was why I actually quit.  It wasn't enough to efficiently check your customer out and wish them a good day.  Customers were quizzed on the sincerity of our "thank you".  It was a bunch of BS.  We could never make ourselves good enough for certain of our customers and I got tired of bending over backwards.  Some people were never going to be happy unless you gave them their entire order for free and volunteered to carry it to their car for them.  The amount of backlash we got from upper management was so depressing that morale was terrible.  We were never good enough, never going to be good enough, and might as well just quit trying.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »
I don't fill out surveys at all.

I go to the hospital to get a test, I go to a dealership to buy a car, I go to Pancake House for a meal, I go to a campground to have a place to stay and shower. I do not do these things to do homework!

One trip I had 6 KOA surveys in my inbox! I simple wrote to corporate separately, so the campgrounds wouldn't get into trouble, just that. If we have an individual problem, we usually just tell the immediate supervisor privately, no matter what kind of business it is. Now I have finally learned not to let people know we have an email address - we are old enough to get away with that, even though we have three. (Business, private, and just with one person.)

For the "would you recommend this to others?', my answer would always be 'No!' If we recommend something and it goes south, it's all our fault, so it's best just not to answer the surveys. This is true especially for electronics and medical care.

When we have a particularly friendly cashier who does the survey spiel, we usually laugh and say, "They make you say that, don't they?" The answer is usually a rueful smile.

P12663

• I can take dragons. Or give them away. Honest.
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 06:23:53 PM »
I filled out a survey once.  It was for a tour that we had taken and we were not happy.  There had been two incidents where people were hurt, lost laundry, bad food, misinformation given out; in general a lousy time was had by all.

I even got a response:  "Thank you for your comments.  We are so glad that you enjoyed the trip!"

You have to wonder - did anyone even read the survey?

HoneyBee42

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
I don't fill out surveys, but if I have a less than stellar experience, I will write to corporate and lay out exactly what went wrong.

doodlemor

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 09:00:26 PM »
I have twice had a carry out guy at Wegman's give me a survey to fill out and mail back about his services.  The first time he just asked me to fill it out and mail it back.  The second time he told me that he was giving me *homework,* and that he would get a bonus or prize or something if I did this.  Both times the forms were tossed.

Wegman's is considered to be a good place to work, with generally high employee satisfaction.  Never, ever, has anyone else there ever asked to to fill out a survey.  Not at the register, no other carry out guys - nobody except this one guy.

This guy's behavior was rather annoying, but I don't want to report him because he seems to be one of the mentally challenged people that they hire. 

On another note, I once emailed Wegman's corporate headquarters to praise a cashier who had been outstandingly patient and efficient on the day before Mother's Day.  On the next day, which was Mother's Day, I received a happy and kind phone message from the store manager thanking me for my appreciative words about his cashier.

Bluenomi

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 09:30:30 PM »
I bought a new car recently and was warned by the saleman that I'd be getting a follow up survey from the company, they are big on customer service and rate anything less than 9/10 as bad.

I like him and the car so I did it but I do think it's a bit unfair on the sales staff. Some customers are never going to be happy no matter what you do so they skew the results.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 09:47:27 PM »

I go to the hospital to get a test, I go to a dealership to buy a car, I go to Pancake House for a meal, I go to a campground to have a place to stay and shower. I do not do these things to do homework!

I'm the opposite.  I love doing the surveys!  They're asking for my opinion, and I give it.  I'm truthful about how I felt my visit went.  If I felt it was a good experience*, I give a good review.  If it's not a good experience, I try to give a constructive type of feedback so, if the company truly is looking to improve in some areas, they have some ideas from this end of the transaction.

HOWEVER, tell me what to rate you as, and my score will drop.  You don't get to tell me how to fill out my survey.  If you want my opinion, I'll give it, but don't dictate it to me.

*  And, by that, I mean in a reasonable way - not in a "you must cater to me, because I'm the customer and you should be honored to have me here" type of way; I'm not over the top in what I want as a customer, and I do make allowances for real life type issues such as a store that's swamped and doing the best they can at the time.  I know that there are times when service might not be 100% for a legitimate reason but that the store/restaurant/whatever is handling it the best way they can.  I don't hold that against them.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 10:02:15 PM »
I filled out a survey once.  It was for a tour that we had taken and we were not happy.  There had been two incidents where people were hurt, lost laundry, bad food, misinformation given out; in general a lousy time was had by all.

I even got a response:  "Thank you for your comments.  We are so glad that you enjoyed the trip!"

You have to wonder - did anyone even read the survey?
I got a survey from a tour company with which I had taken 10 or so trips. I hadn't always filled out surveys for previous trips, but this one had been a disaster. The tour leader in no way met the high standards I was accustomed ot with this company. Really--is it a good idea to leave your clients to stew in a hot van for 45 minutes while you go shopping for decor for your house? Or to refuse to allow a client with car sickness to sit up front in the seat you have claimed for you own? Or to tell clients to be ready to depart at 8 AM, but not show until 10?

The company response? Well, before I got the survey, I had discovered that they were offering one of my bucket list trips. I had immediately booked. After they got my survey, they  apologized profusely and  offered me a serious discount on the bucket list trip. Which turned out to be incredible, with one of the best tour leaders I've ever seen.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Sophie Jenkins

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 10:35:26 PM »

I'm the opposite.  I love doing the surveys!  They're asking for my opinion, and I give it.  I'm truthful about how I felt my visit went.  If I felt it was a good experience*, I give a good review.  If it's not a good experience, I try to give a constructive type of feedback so, if the company truly is looking to improve in some areas, they have some ideas from this end of the transaction.

HOWEVER, tell me what to rate you as, and my score will drop.  You don't get to tell me how to fill out my survey.  If you want my opinion, I'll give it, but don't dictate it to me.

*  And, by that, I mean in a reasonable way - not in a "you must cater to me, because I'm the customer and you should be honored to have me here" type of way; I'm not over the top in what I want as a customer, and I do make allowances for real life type issues such as a store that's swamped and doing the best they can at the time.  I know that there are times when service might not be 100% for a legitimate reason but that the store/restaurant/whatever is handling it the best way they can.  I don't hold that against them.

Thing is, corporate offices very rarely actually take into account the *content* of the surveys. You can leave a constructive, well-though-out comment about how your needs were adequately met, and rate them a 6-7 out of 10 for not going above and beyond because you didn't need them to, or give them a chance to, or whatever... and all the company will see is a non-perfect score and scold the employee for it.

That's not your fault, but a perfectly nice, hard worker will still pay for a lack of a perfect score.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 12:23:05 AM »
It's an either/or game. There are no shades of grey. 10 is pass, 9 is fail. That's why they ask for a 10. Please keep that in mind when you do these surveys.

Companies make their staff live and die by LTR (likelyhood to recommend).  It's terrible when something out of your control like new regulations, higher  interest rates or taxes cause your service ratings to drop. It's even worse when they say, "We really like you, but we never give tens."

Our bonuses are based partly on LTR, and a low score can be costly. We track the 10's as well as the 9/10's and it's interesting to note how much a centre's scores can change if you add in the 90th percentile.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 12:35:49 AM »

Thing is, corporate offices very rarely actually take into account the *content* of the surveys. You can leave a constructive, well-though-out comment about how your needs were adequately met, and rate them a 6-7 out of 10 for not going above and beyond because you didn't need them to, or give them a chance to, or whatever... and all the company will see is a non-perfect score and scold the employee for it.

That's not your fault, but a perfectly nice, hard worker will still pay for a lack of a perfect score.

That last sentence is the key, though. You've given me the opportunity to give you feedback that you can choose to use in order to rise above your competition. Whether you do so is up to you. But if you don't want to get responses, don't provide the means for people to give them to you (all "yous" meaning the business, of course).

What use is a bunch of surveys with 10s on them? If that's all you want, pass them out at your company meetings or hire a department within your company to get your own workers to do the busy work of circling 10s on some sheets of paper and paste them all over the building in some delusional "rose-colored glasses" attempt to pat yourselves on the back.

OR actually read your surveys from the people you want money from and see if they have some merit. Not all will. Some people will complete them in a way that's not true. Learn how to cull those out and get to the ones that have some honest words about where you're succeeding or could improve.

But the choice as to which of the above you take is not my problem. And I'm not going to pacify you by lying in order to make it my problem.