Author Topic: Your kid is invited to a party, please fork over cash..  (Read 17496 times)

mmswm

Re: Your kid is invited to a party, please fork over cash..
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2013, 10:45:45 PM »
It's option 1.  She's planning on having a picnic lunch, sending the kids to the water park, then a couple hours later do the cake and ice cream thing.

Wow that's just... seriously? I'd decline. Unbelievable. I bet a lot of kids leave when her kids take off for those few hours. She'll probably be whining how rude everyone was to leave.  ::)

Edited because I can't get over this and I have more questions. lol

Did she make it really, really clear what her plan is? I'd be concerned that a lot of the kids will be dropped off with the parents assuming the water park deal is either everyone or nobody. I foresee a number of upset kids calling their parents "My friends went swimming. Can you please bring me some money/pick me up now?"

Man I hope none of the kids whose parents can't afford to pay for swimming get dropped off to sit and wait alone. Is she at least planning some activities and supervision for them while her kids are swimming?

I'm hoping it doesn't turn disastrous.  The good thing is that these people are of a certain heritage that doesn't typically just drop the kids off.  The parents of the invited kids are likely to stay.  The moms will likely sit around and gossip while the dads will sit around and drink beer (if that's allowed in that park, if it's not, they'll likely congregate around somebody's pick up truck parked just off the park property).  I wasn't going to go, but there's kind of a weird story behind who these people are to my family, and it's important that we be there for reasons I don't want to explain on the internet. I was planning on taking my boys to that water park soon anyway, so this will just be that trip instead of going just because.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2013, 09:09:02 AM »
It's option 1.  She's planning on having a picnic lunch, sending the kids to the water park, then a couple hours later do the cake and ice cream thing.

Wow that's just... seriously? I'd decline. Unbelievable. I bet a lot of kids leave when her kids take off for those few hours. She'll probably be whining how rude everyone was to leave.  ::)

Edited because I can't get over this and I have more questions. lol

Did she make it really, really clear what her plan is? I'd be concerned that a lot of the kids will be dropped off with the parents assuming the water park deal is either everyone or nobody. I foresee a number of upset kids calling their parents "My friends went swimming. Can you please bring me some money/pick me up now?"

Man I hope none of the kids whose parents can't afford to pay for swimming get dropped off to sit and wait alone. Is she at least planning some activities and supervision for them while her kids are swimming?

I'm hoping it doesn't turn disastrous.  The good thing is that these people are of a certain heritage that doesn't typically just drop the kids off.  The parents of the invited kids are likely to stay.  The moms will likely sit around and gossip while the dads will sit around and drink beer (if that's allowed in that park, if it's not, they'll likely congregate around somebody's pick up truck parked just off the park property).  I wasn't going to go, but there's kind of a weird story behind who these people are to my family, and it's important that we be there for reasons I don't want to explain on the internet. I was planning on taking my boys to that water park soon anyway, so this will just be that trip instead of going just because.

I remember a friend who's bday was in the summer and her bday was always celebrated at a local lake with a multi-family party. About 6 or 7 families would come out and there was probably 20 to 30 people total. Everyone brought their own family picnic and the organizing/hosting family provided drinks and dessert and some chips/dips. They were also responsible for securing the picnic space and since it was a state park, I think each family paid their own admittance if they didn't have an annual pass. Some people arrived earlier and would go fishing, some kids would go swimming, some would talk their parents into renting a canoe or paddle boat for them. At the end of the day, marshmallows would be roasted, birthday candles lit, happy bday sung and lots of cake eaten before everyone packed up to go home. No presents were ever brought that I remember.

But this was back in the '70s and families were probably spending $2 for park admittance and maybe $5 for a boat rental. Way less than the cost of a water park admittance.

But if the families are used to day long park picnics this might seem very normal to them.

I can't imagine even being able to pull off the party I described today. In our social group it would be expected that I'd pay for everyone's state park admittance and have rental boats available and fishing equipment for my guests to use in addition to having a full picnic for all guests.

mmswm

« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2013, 01:12:56 PM »
That kind of park picnic sounds awesome!  This is a county park, so it's not nearly as fun as a state park, but it does have the water park attached. Since it's county run, it's not quite as pricey as a regular park.  Kids are $5 and adults $10. But still, with my parents and all of our kids, that's 3 adults and 4 kids (my middle son is with my sister in another state, or it would be 5 kids), which isn't chump change.

I think this party is less rude than it could be, because the parents that are hosting it let it be known upfront that the water park admission isn't included.  The invitations were word of mouth, and when she told us, she made clear that part wasn't covered. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2013, 02:06:08 PM »
That kind of park picnic sounds awesome!  This is a county park, so it's not nearly as fun as a state park, but it does have the water park attached. Since it's county run, it's not quite as pricey as a regular park.  Kids are $5 and adults $10. But still, with my parents and all of our kids, that's 3 adults and 4 kids (my middle son is with my sister in another state, or it would be 5 kids), which isn't chump change.

I think this party is less rude than it could be, because the parents that are hosting it let it be known upfront that the water park admission isn't included.  The invitations were word of mouth, and when she told us, she made clear that part wasn't covered.

I'd give her a pass if she was planning to let her kids (and whoever else wanted to pay) go swimming after the party was officially over, but to have them leave in the middle of it while all the non-swimming guests sit around and wait? I think that's incredibly thoughtless.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2013, 03:37:58 PM »

I'd give her a pass if she was planning to let her kids (and whoever else wanted to pay) go swimming after the party was officially over, but to have them leave in the middle of it while all the non-swimming guests sit around and wait? I think that's incredibly thoughtless.

I agree. I'd like to know what fun activities she has planned for the "gap" for those kids who choose not to spend the extra $$$. If it's "we'll see you in a couple of hours for cake," I'd be taking my kid home (or not even going.)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2013, 07:26:31 PM »

I agree. I'd like to know what fun activities she has planned for the "gap" for those kids who choose not to spend the extra $$$. If it's "we'll see you in a couple of hours for cake," I'd be taking my kid home (or not even going.)

I'm very curious for an update after the event. From my understanding, I suspect there will be children/guests there, in swimsuits, without a cell phone or money who will just be hanging out waiting for a few hours, without any way to contact their parents. I hope one of the adult hosts stays behind to watch these children. I don't know the hosts, so I imagine one would, but it could be very bad if no one did.