Author Topic: When Emergency Services Are Needed  (Read 16127 times)

ClaireC79

Re: When Emergency Services Are Needed
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 07:25:33 AM »
I have a payment question which is kind of related.

If someone had called an ambulance and then the woman had refused to get into it and go to hospital - would anyone need to pay and if so who?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 07:31:48 AM »
It depends if it is a private or public agency that was operating the ambulance.

Not to derail the thread, but I know that people taken in an ambulance get priority in the emergency room, also the EMT/Paramedics can provide life saving treatments in the ambulance, so for heart attack and stroke cases, an ambulance is best when available.

behindbj

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 08:32:57 AM »
It depends if it is a private or public agency that was operating the ambulance.

Not to derail the thread, but I know that people taken in an ambulance get priority in the emergency room, also the EMT/Paramedics can provide life saving treatments in the ambulance, so for heart attack and stroke cases, an ambulance is best when available.

Actually, it's not always true that people coming in by ambulance have a higher priority.  Around here, they are triaged like everyone else.  It's on the FAQ page of just about every local emergency room (and I checked, because I saw it on one page and I was curious).

They tell people this explicitly because some people view the ambulance as a taxi service to the hospital, or they want to bypass ER waiting rooms with minor issues.  It's a big, expensive problem and a drain on Fair City coffers.

As of the original topic - the woman's husband is nuts.  I, too, wonder how he deals with this stuff at home - unless he gets it out of his system by yelling at others (been at the receiving end of that, too...).

Daquiri40

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 09:00:07 AM »
We had a student have a seizure during class.  His father works here also.  The father knew his son had epilepsy but was very grateful someone called 911 and his son was being cared for.  The father walked along side the gurney holding his son's hand the entire way.

Epileptic seizures are different for each person.  As a non-medical person I am not going to evaluate the seriousness myself.

The husband was being whacky.  Would he rather no one paid attention and left her alone?

EnoughAlready22

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 09:13:03 AM »
I think the husband was worried about medical bills.  It sounds to me that his comment about being 2 minutes away wasn't meant to be threatening, but was his way of saying that he could have been right there and taken her to the hospital.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 09:41:18 AM »
I think the husband was worried about medical bills.  It sounds to me that his comment about being 2 minutes away wasn't meant to be threatening, but was his way of saying that he could have been right there and taken her to the hospital.

How were they to know that? How were they to find his number in order to call him? Look in her school records? How long would that have taken?

EnoughAlready22

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »

How were they to know that? How were they to find his number in order to call him? Look in her school records? How long would that have taken?

I agree with what you are saying, any reasonable person would.  I don't think the husband was reasonable at the time.  I was just pointing out that he may not have been threatening anyone.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 09:54:56 AM »

I agree with what you are saying, any reasonable person would.  I don't think the husband was reasonable at the time.  I was just pointing out that he may not have been threatening anyone.

SamiHami's co-workers heard what he said, including the tone of his voice. If they felt threatened, they did what they thought was appropriate.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 10:42:06 AM »

Yes, I suppose that he was worried about medical bills. That does not excuse harassing people who tried to help his wife.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 10:45:46 AM »
DH once wrecked a motorcycle and the woman who lived on the corner where he crashed called 911. It turned out he was basically fine other than some road-rash and the ambulance ride was an unnecessary $750 that took us a year to pay off. Was I mad at the lady? Goodness no! What if she hadn't called and he had suffered a serious injury made even more serious while waiting around for me to come get him and take him to the hospital?

I can completely understand being frustrated over a bill you can't afford for services that turned out to be unneeded, but angry at the person who was trying to protect your loved-one? That baffles me.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 11:14:39 AM »
Look, no matter how you slice it, being sick or injured *is* expensive (even if you have National Health, it's expensive for society).  Car wrecks are expensive.  Babies are expensive.  Hailstorms and tornados are expensive.  We are not talking about someone with a really bad cut.  We are talking about someone who started having a seizure in a public place.  That is an emergency, with a capital E. 
The husband may have wigged out, but that is because he is acting crazy.  There is absolutely nothing reasonable about his attitude.  It's his wife I feel sorry for.  Can you imagine being married to someone who freaks out on total strangers because you have a medical condition that is expensive?  Imagine how he treats her at home.

Per the bolded: it is expensive. I broke 3 bones in my ankle in January, and to date the costs have topped $45k! I have insurance (how I wish we had a national health system!) and have to pay $5 of that.

General comment: Yes, ambulances are expensive, but that husband was in the wrong 100%.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 11:44:53 AM »
^ It took me six years to pay off a broken ankle when I was uninsured. And that was with me refusing an ambulance and taking a cab.

I don't think anyone is excusing the husband, I simply think some of us understand his anger - this one incident could mean they don't get to buy a house, or have a kid, or any sort of expensive plan they might have had in the works. I get it people were scared, but in the end, all he actually did was yell over the phone. It was wrong, but when people are scared and upset, having a bit of a verbal blow up is IMO pretty understandable.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »
I can understand calling 911 is the right thing to do (I'm not doubting that at all!), but I can understand the husband's frustration. I know with some insurance or without insurance that ride might cost $500 out of pocket + possibly thousands in ER bills. It's horribly scary that the decision of how thousands of your dollars are spent are in another person's hands.

Still rude/inappropriate to berate the person who had to make that tough decision because bystanders aren't qualified to decide whether or not a seizure is a medical emergency for that person.

I agree with every word of this.

I agree the husband was probably freaking out about the bills, but he shouldn't have called and berated the staff.

The staff followed a correct procedure. When the ambulance arrived, his wife had the opportunity to decide to not go to the hospital. I've also seen EMT's arrive at a scene, determine no major emergency was occuring, do some general First Aid, and then not transport the person.

Since neither of those occured, it seems either the wife wasn't in a position to turn down a trip to the ER or the EMT's felt it was medically necessary.

I wonder what the husband really wanted?

***I've had a co-worker insist we call her husband to take her to an ER instead of an ambulance. One factor was to save costs and the other was to go to the hospital of her choosing and not the EMT's.

reflection5

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »
I agree the husband was probably freaking out about the bills, but he shouldn't have called and berated the staff.

It was wrong, but when people are scared and upset, having a bit of a verbal blow up is IMO pretty understandable.

Scared and upset about what?  Bills,money.  Not the welfare of his wife.

From the information given it appears that the husband was more concerned about the bills than he was about his wife's condition.  Am I the only one noticing that? 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:57:53 AM by reflection5 »

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 11:58:14 AM »

From the information given it appears that the husband was more concerned about the bills than he was about his wife's condition.  Am I the only one noticing that?

I don't think we know that at all. After all we do know the school didn't call the husband. So either the wife or the hospital did. Which means he already knew her condition. If her condition was "absolutely fine, no problems, nothing to worry about [medically]... oh by the way that will $15k how did you want to pay for this?" then he had no reason to worry about her condition.