A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The 2013 Gardening Thread

(1/26) > >>

Outdoor Girl:
Anybody besides me planning their veggie garden?

I have my yellow stuffer tomato seeds started.  They aren't up yet but I hope they will be soon.  These are really cool tomatoes.  They look like a pepper and the seeds are in a central core like a pepper but the flesh is a tomato.  They are yellow in colour and hollow in the middle, hence the name.

I've bought most of my seeds but I won't be buying plants until the middle of May.  I grow zucchini, cucumbers, pie pumpkins, butternut squash, potatoes, peas, beans, carrots, parsnips, beets, rutabaga, three or four different kinds of tomatoes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, purple cabbage.  I planted some rhubarb roots last year that I hope will come up.  I have some strawberries and some blackberries, as well as a bunch of herbs.  My mint, lemon balm, dill, tarragon, oregano, thyme, chives will come back from last year and I'll buy rosemary, sage, parsley, different basils, summer savoury.

Next week, it is finally going to start warming up so I'll get going on turning the garden over and adding some compost to enrich the soil.  And building a fence around the garden to keep the %^&&^ rabbits out!

Piratelvr1121:
Veggie garden not so much but we did plant blueberry bushes and an apple tree.  We also have a plum and peach tree that are blooming beautifully and I have parsley coming up that I planted last year.  I know dill is a perennial so it should come back again this year, least I hope so but if not, seeds are inexpensive.   

DH is the peach fan in our house, I like plums and would like to turn them into jam, hopefully we'll have a good crop of them this year, as they were doing real well last year till the drought hit.  Same with the peaches.  Since it's the apple tree's first year and it's not much bigger than a sapling, I'm not expecting too much.

We also laid down a lot of mulch but might have to do more to cover the weeds.   I also have daffodils of two different color varieties, tulips, and some lilies. :) Dh planted some things too.  It looks really nice back there, what with our pond and all and the peach and plum trees blossoming. :)

Outdoor Girl:
Technically, dill is a self-seeding annual.  So as long as you let some go to seed, it should come back.  But perhaps not where you wanted it to be...

I jealous about your fruit trees!  The apple tree might be problematic, though, unless there are other ones in the neighbourhood.  I always thought that you had to have at least two in order to get fruit.

I want to add blueberries and raspberries to the strawberry, blackberry, rhubarb patch.

EllenS:
Love my garden and am starting to learn a little - this is our third year.  We started tomatos, okra and peppers indoors in January and will plant them out this weekend (April 15 is our frost-free date)

We sowed lettuces, peas, chard, spinach and broccoli in January/February and they are up but not ready to harvest yet.  We are just finishing the broccoli, kale, collards and mustard greens that grew through the winter.

We are doing Roma tomatos and two kinds of sweet pepper.  Also, zucchini, yellow squash, winter squash, watermelon, bush cucumbers and bush beans (purple and green), blackeyed peas,

I am hoping to do another round of parsnip, carrots, and beets for fall harvest, but I may have waited to late too put them in - you are supposed to put them in by March because they stop growing in the hot summer.

Moved my asparagus last week to its (hopefully) permanent bed.  So we will hope for the best!  We also have a white potato box started and will be putting in sweet potato slips in May.

Piratelvr1121:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on April 11, 2013, 09:30:21 PM ---Technically, dill is a self-seeding annual.  So as long as you let some go to seed, it should come back.  But perhaps not where you wanted it to be...

I jealous about your fruit trees!  The apple tree might be problematic, though, unless there are other ones in the neighbourhood.  I always thought that you had to have at least two in order to get fruit.

I want to add blueberries and raspberries to the strawberry, blackberry, rhubarb patch.

--- End quote ---

I wondered about that too, with the apple tree. The tag attached said it was self-pollinating, but I always thought you had to have two.  And oh, well my dill always ends up going to seed.  I get a lot more than I can personally use. It's my zucchini only that people don't mind getting fresh dill. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version