Author Topic: s/o Customer Surveys - Product Reviews  (Read 1927 times)

Daquiri40

Re: s/o Customer Surveys - Product Reviews
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 09:18:31 AM »
I read the reviews all of the time.  I do appreciate comments like, "the fit was big for this brand", especially when more than 1 person has said it.  I have NOT bought a book based on reviews.  Reviews can even be funny - check out amazon for reviews of Fifty Shades of Grey.  I never read the book but the reviewes were hilarious!

I just wrote a review for a hotel I stayed at in Chicago.  I loved it.  A woman complained that the bathroom was too small and the shower doors were glass so two people could not be in the bathroom at the same time.  My original thought was, "are you serious" but then I thought if you were traveling with children, that would be a helpful review to someone.

Cami

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »
Ok, I'm doing a spin-off of my spin-off! :D  But this is a different type of subject, so I wanted to break it off.

Do you write reviews of products or books?

I've been experiencing these lately in the search of some new books that I want to read.  I always read the reviews of the other readers before deciding whether to buy the book or not.  And I look at all of the reviews - not just the 5 stars or the 1 stars.  I try to base my decision on what both sides think about it.

What I really hate is seeing a thoughtful, but negative, review of a book get marked as "not helpful" by others simply because it was a negative viewpoint of a book that many people seemed to love.  I've had that happen to some of my reviews.  If you post something that goes against the grain but really put some thought into it, I'm going to mark your review as "helpful" even if I don't agree with it.  I think you have a very valid right to voice your opinion on why the product was not to your liking.

I think Product Reviews are very helpful before a purchase.  And I try to leave them as often as I can, in the hopes that someone else is helped by my opinions on it.
I write a lot of reviews on Amazon and I've had the bold happen to me too. I wrote what I honestly considered one of my most thoughtful reviews of a book that was written by a university professor. The book was poorly researched to the point where the author's theories were totally unproven and in fact, actual research might well haved led to opposing conclusions.  I'm dismayed that a university press published it. My review went into some (but not exhaustive) detail about the research failures and suggested that readers take the conclusions with a grain of salt. Well. You would have thought I was insulting the author's mother!  At first I was upset, then it made me laugh. I think more people may have ended up commenting on my review than wrote reviews themselves and what reviews existed were of the "Professor Smith is the greatest!" variety. I don't think her little minion's comments actually helped her case, in the end.

I also write a lot of reviews on TripAdvisor. I use them frequently and figure I should give back.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »

I just wrote a review for a hotel I stayed at in Chicago.  I loved it.  A woman complained that the bathroom was too small and the shower doors were glass so two people could not be in the bathroom at the same time.  My original thought was, "are you serious" but then I thought if you were traveling with children, that would be a helpful review to someone.

I always wonder when people complain about the size of hotel rooms etc. I saw this with the hotel my friend and I stayed in in Puerto Rico, pre and post-cruise. It was nice, reasonably priced, and most reviews were favorable. But there were a bunch that said the rooms were too small, and other nitpicky things. But honestly, we got there, checked in, went sightseeing, and came back after dinner and slept. next day, got up, and went to get on the ship. so the size of the rooms didn't really matter, and some were not families, they specifically said one or two people. So i guess they were expecting some the size of a suite!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 11:32:52 AM »
I found an interesting couple of comments related to a review I just read.  I agree with these people.

I'm really surprised so many people found this review unhelpful.

The reviewer gives concerete, narrative- and characterization-related reasons why she/he did not enjoy the book. You may not agree with the conclusions she comes to based on those reasons, but she does give reasons, and makes well thought-out points.

that's how it seems with a lot of low rating reviews. Some people take it too personally when someone else has a different opinion that's less then favorable. The question is "was this review helpful to you" not "do you agree with this review".

CakeBeret

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 11:36:08 AM »
I love reviews, both reading and writing them. I enjoy fleshing out the satirical reviews, the ones that we call "whiny little b***h reviews", the over-the-top praise, and everything in between.

I was reading the reviews on my favorite B&B and came across a reviewer who was absolutely incensed that he did not get a full 24 hours in the room. Checkin was 4PM, and he was absolutely appalled that checkout would then be 11AM. For one thing, that's standard in almost any lodging. For another thing, they actually need that time to clean rooms! This particular B&B has extremely high cleanliness standards, and could not possibly clean any more thoroughly if the Queen was coming to visit. So if the reviewer expected a full 24 hours in the room, I'm not sure when he expected the staff to be able to clean.

I do particularly enjoy writing book reviews on Amazon. There was one book that I read that was SO bad, I just kept thinking "I need to mention this in the review...I need to mention that in the review..."

When I'm trying to choose a product to purchase, I read a good sampling from each star level and draw my conclusion. Most recently we were picking out a coffee maker and, I kid you not, there was a reviewer complaining that she had spent $50 on this coffeemaker, so she should not have to clean it.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 11:54:46 AM »
I love reviews, both reading and writing them. I enjoy fleshing out the satirical reviews, the ones that we call "whiny little b***h reviews", the over-the-top praise, and everything in between.

When I'm trying to choose a product to purchase, I read a good sampling from each star level and draw my conclusion. Most recently we were picking out a coffee maker and, I kid you not, there was a reviewer complaining that she had spent $50 on this coffeemaker, so she should not have to clean it.

I base my purchases on similar criteria. If more than one person leaves a negative comment about the same thing, I might think twice about it. But something like not having to clean the coffee maker? really? that's just silly and I'd dismiss that one and not even consider it.

Library Dragon

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 12:35:50 PM »
European hotel reviews sometimes make me laugh.  I read one about a beautiful 3 star hotel in Florence where the reviewer complained that breakfast didn't include hot eggs and bacon.  This isn't the way most hotel breakfasts are done in Italy in mid range hotels. 

Fortunately I'm not a big egg person so I ignored it.  The breakfast buffet turned out to be huge.  Yes, it was a traditional cold breakfast with ham and cheese slices, cereals, hard boiled eggs, and the most delicious croissants filled with dark chocolate.   

This placed turned out to have huge bathrooms (another rarity), towel warming racks, free Internet (before most hotels even had Internet for guests), etc., etc.  Didn't miss the bacon at all.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 12:38:55 PM »
I just thought of something else that I hate seeing in reviews.

There have been a couple of times when I've given a really detailed explanation of why I love a book.  I've thought about the various aspects of the book and tried to give an informed review of why I thought it was a good purchase.

Only to have someone come in to give a negative review (which is ok - that part I'm fine with) but add that they suspect that the good reviews are actually the author or someone she's paid to pad the good review section.  Ummmm....no.  I'm an actual reader.  And I honestly gave my opinion.  Just as you have the right to give a negative review (and I'll respect that if you write one that's thoughtful and honest), I have the right to say that I loved the book.  I'm not an imposter.  And I have no reason to lie and try to get you to love the book as well.  It's not like I get a kickback from any future purchases of the book.

I hate being told that I'm probably lying or am not who I say I am.

shadowfox79

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 12:46:15 PM »

Only to have someone come in to give a negative review (which is ok - that part I'm fine with) but add that they suspect that the good reviews are actually the author or someone she's paid to pad the good review section.  Ummmm....no.  I'm an actual reader.  And I honestly gave my opinion.

I agree. This happened with a TripAdvisor listing of our favourite cocktail bar in Majorca. The bar has friendly staff, hands out leis when you arrive, serves enormous multi-person cocktails and has a live parrot on a perch in the outside seating area - the parrot is their pet and is very well cared for.

Someone posted a review referring to the "dirty and abused parrot", called the owner fat and scary, moaned about the cocktail choices (they're made to order, not by a list, and this is explained when you sit down) and claimed that everybody else around them was looking miserable and therefore agreed with them (another thing I hate - are you psychic now?) They then claimed that all the good reviews were written by the owner's friends.

Um, no. We do like the owners, but we also love the bar, thank you.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »
I usually read the 1-star reviews first, because if there's a dealbreaker it usually comes up there first.  If all those people are idiots I work my way up to the 2- and 3-stars

That's exactly how I do it!

I do that as well.

Ayup.  I also tally up the total of starts 2 through 4, ignoring 1s AND 5s.  See, we live in a whole "Best ever!  "Worst ever!" society, so removes the extremes and the rating is usually a little more honest.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
Yikes.  That means that my 5 stars aren't helping some people.  I may have to ponder that.

There have been some books and products, though, that truly have rated 5 stars.  I try to describe why that is in hopes that it helps someone else out.  But maybe that's not the way to go after all?  But what if 4 stars doesn't fit?

For instance, there is a mascara that I really love.  And I've written a review of it giving it the highest score.  It's everything that I'm looking for and is one that I hope they never get rid of.  I wouldn't give it a 4 - it really is a 5 for me.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »
For example, some people will give a positive review because they had a good buying experience, or like the appearance of the book/item, or like the topic of the book in general

I ran into something today that you reminded me of. One reviewer gave a low rating to a book simply because the condition of the book was poor - and it'd come from an outside vendor. So it was even more off the mark as to where the review was being written. Several people had to explain that to the person and ask that they consider actually reviewing the content of the book rather than the quality of the cover. That was absolutely a "not helpful" review.

I have sort of done that but I stand by it.
I bought a textbook from a third party vendor through Barnes & Noble. The textbook was listed as "Textbook with Supersite" but when I got the book the supersite access code, which is single use, had already been used. I ended up having to go to the site and buying access, thus eliminating any savings I had gotten by buying used in the first place!
So my bad rating was about the overall product, not the content of the textbook itself.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »
WillyNilly, I can see how yours was justified.  I can understand that situation.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »
I do particularly enjoy writing book reviews on Amazon. There was one book that I read that was SO bad, I just kept thinking "I need to mention this in the review...I need to mention that in the review..."

I did that with one book.  It was a continuation of The Chalet School series (which is, fairly obviously, suitable for kids).  This book, by another author, included marital rape, adultery, suicide and Alzheimers.  After I'd picked my jaw up, I went onto Amazon and slammed the book.  I wasn't the only one.  I also sold the book itself on eBay, warning that it wasn't for children and that it was the worst book I'd ever read.  It sold, though I did have one eBayer who emailed me and asked if I'd mind telling her the plot so she needn't buy it.  I didn't mind at all. :D

Oddly enough, the majority of the bad reviews had replies from another reviewer, arguing with what they'd said.  That reviewer had the same surname as the author, (which was probably a coincidence as it was a common surname) but it left me wondering if they were related.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »
Yikes.  That means that my 5 stars aren't helping some people.  I may have to ponder that.

There have been some books and products, though, that truly have rated 5 stars.  I try to describe why that is in hopes that it helps someone else out.  But maybe that's not the way to go after all?  But what if 4 stars doesn't fit?

For instance, there is a mascara that I really love.  And I've written a review of it giving it the highest score.  It's everything that I'm looking for and is one that I hope they never get rid of.  I wouldn't give it a 4 - it really is a 5 for me.

I should also point out, however,t hat I *also* look at *only* the 1s and 5s... kind of like a "like/dislike" system, and compare those finding to my "2-3-4" results.

Yeah... I research hard when I buy online.  :)