Author Topic: What would kids enjoy in Washington DC?  (Read 1543 times)

Mrs. Tilney

Re: What would kids enjoy in Washington DC?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 05:35:16 PM »
I do not care that much for the DC zoo.  It is rather small and most of the animals are in cages instead of big outdoor enclosures.  IIRC it is also a bit off the beaten path in terms of the other attractions.

I'm not sure when you went, but most animals are in outdoor enclosures, as opposed to cages. (And, of course, there are the pandas!) It IS pretty hilly, though, and if you take Metro, I recommend getting off at the Cleveland Park stop instead of Woodley Park/Adams Morgan/Zoo--the walk is flat from Cleveland Park, but uphill from the Zoo stop.

Natural History has a lot of kid-friendly exhibits, and the monuments and memorials are free.

POF

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »
I always like the national zoo.  There are tiny monkeys loose overhead.  They have a great reptile house and some other interesting exhibits.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 07:35:52 AM »
If you have the time, you might consider a few days in Baltimore.  The city has plenty of great things for children.

The B&O Railroad museum
A really spectacular aquarium
The Science Center
the Museum of Visionary Art. 

The last doesn't sound too appealing for children but many of the exhibits are by self-taught and folk artists.  It's also small enough not to be daunting.