Author Topic: my baby is turning 4  (Read 3510 times)

morgana

my baby is turning 4
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:58:41 AM »
Hello everyone,

just looking for some ideas on how to do this.

1. We are having a party for our little girl, turning 4. I'm not sure what to write on the invitations. Here it's mostly done as the kid inviting to their own party. I was thinking we should be doing the invite, as we are throwing a party for her and more appropriate etiquette. However I still want it to sound like an invitation for kids and not an adult black-tie dinner party. Any thoughts?

2. People are asking me what she wants. I really hate the wish lists and all that, the birthday boxes at the stores, the stress of getting the one particular thing the princess wants. If we ask her, she really doesn't know what she wants, because she generally has everything a child needs, love, toys, good times. I would prefer the kids to just come and have fun and not worry about gifts. I just don't know how to say it and I get a bit embarrassed when asked. Again, how would you put it nicely so the other parents don't think we are being ... I don't even know what they could think we are being, but people react in funny ways sometimes. I really have no idea what to ask for, if I were in Canada, I'd say she likes books. But I don't want any books in German, we don't read them. Hmmm ... thoughts?

learningtofly

Re: my baby is turning 4
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 08:34:42 AM »
DD has been going to a lot of birthday parties lately.  The invites are usually princess fill in the blank invites with the child's name, date, and location.

As for presents-I do ask because I want to know if the parents don't want gifts.  Most tell me that gifts are not necessary, please just come to the party.  I respond that we would love to get a gift (it's mypleasure-and I love to shop for other people) and that we would like to know the child's interests.  This gets me an embarrassed smile and things the kid is interested in.

DD loves what she got for her birthday and even more so when I tell her that her friend ____ got it for her.  It personalizes the present and makes it special to her.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:47:16 AM »
Honestly, some sort of answer for presents is nice.  It can be somethign as simple as playdough or a stuffed puppy or play food for a little kitchen.  No answer leaves people frustrated. If there is anything you are trying to discourage you might want to let people in on that too.

morgana

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:54:02 AM »
I guess you are right, thinking that I would like to buy something for the kid having a birthday party. Perhaps tell them she likes crafts (which she does) and then at the party do an activity to include crafts and use whatever the kids bring?

We have plenty of play-doh, the basement is full of toys, I have trouble finding gifts for the little one, since we have just about everything ... she is crazy for books (but in English) and stuff to do outside, swimming, dancing, riding the bike ...

I honestly don't know. Is it really bad to tell people to not worry about gifts?

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 08:57:22 AM »
For the gift ideas, have a list of 2 or 3 general categories. "She really likes art supplies, like crayons or stickers. She loves craft kits. And she loves to play dress up, so sparkly fake jewelry or a cute hat would be good."

Notice these aren't specific gifts--no "She really wants the Super Deluxe version of Cute Baby Doll Susie, but only the one with red hair." Art supplies can cover paper, paints, crayons, colored pencils, those foam glue-on shapes, glitter, colored paper, etc.

Mention a couple of broad categories of things you know your daughter will play with and that you really can't have too many of.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

morgana

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 09:01:19 AM »
camlan, good point. I'll do that then.

what about wording? We are going to make our invitations, I purchased blank ones so she can draw and glue and make something herself. with my help of course. just not sure what to write inside.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 09:21:12 AM »
I'd say something along the lines of "Little One (and her proud parents) would like to invite you to our home on 1 Storybook Lane Saturday the 15th for cake, crafts, and fun to celebrate Little One's 4th birthday".

Then the crafty decorations on the card are great! And you can use the crafty stuff as a suggestion for the gifts, too, and everything ties together.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:35:26 AM »

Artwork on the cover. Inside:

Dear Johnny,

You are invited to a 4th birthday party for Suzi. 

Date:

Time:

Place:

Please us know if you can make it!

Phone # & email

(Special instructions, like we will be playing outside so casual clothing is recommended, etc.

This doesn't sound like it is from Suzi or the parents specifically. That seemed to be one of your concerns. It is casual, which is expected when we do things like this.

This seems to have it all and is in an attractive yet easy to read format. I guess that is why it is so common. Yours will still be very personal and special!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:44:24 AM by Luci45 »

m2kbug

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 09:59:27 AM »
I know, you feel selfish to "ask" for gifts, but they will be bringing a gift, just tell them what your child enjoys and they can choose what they would like to get her and what they can afford in their budget.  I really wish parents would just open their mouths and tell you, so it's not a guessing game and you can get the child something they will use and enjoy.  She really enjoys Littlest Pet Shop or Polly Pockets and playing dress up or playing cars or coloring.  My kids are older and the things they want are kind of expensive.  I wouldn't expect a parent to spend a lot of money on a video game, but I could say to people who inquire, a gift card so he can buy a video game would be or a gift card for laser tag or iTunes something.  I've had parents tell me the kid likes the clothes from such-and-store, so anything from there or a gift certificate would be great. 

Try not to feel so selfish over this.  They want to know, so they they buy something your child will use and enjoy and they can spend whatever is in their budget.  Just toss out some ideas your child enjoys and they can pick what they would like to give.  If they ask, you could tell them that you're not expecting gifts but little Morgana loves playing princess or loves Dora the Explorer.

As for the invitation, it's for a 4 year old, and they're going to expect it to be geared as such.  Just put the time and number.  Some of the invitations we receive have the home address, some don't, so you have to call to get that information.  I would prefer the address be included, so I know where I'm going.  If people live too far away, I might not say yes.  If you have any special requests, put that on there, like "bring a swimsuit," or something.  If you're planning this party at a venue like Chuck E. Cheese or goofy golf, include the address on the invitation and even a map or directions.  My child was invited to laser tag, and included on the invitation is proper clothing they need to wear and that parents will need to sign a waiver, which they can print up themselves, or they'll have to fill it out when they drop off their child.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »
I think saying craft supplies is great - that's usually my default go-to present for kids that age anyway. I also think its fine to say books in English, even if its not the predominant language in your area. I know a couple, here in the US where one parent is from Denmark - we just use the internet to get books and videos, etc in Danish for the kids since we know they are teaching them the language.

otterwoman

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 12:12:48 PM »
If you have too many toys, you could suggest tickets to a museum or other attraction your DD likes.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »
I also think it's fine to say you don't want gifts if that's what you'd prefer. When we ask parents for gift suggestions we get 3 types of responses:

1. Anything is fine! (Unhelpful response)
2. Timmy is really interested in tools right now. (Helpful response)
3. Please don't bring a gift. (Helpful response)

When we've gotten response #3, we've taken it at face value and not brought a gift. Maybe I'm just clueless and we were actually supposed to insist on bringing something.  :-[
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 11:20:33 AM »
I think saying craft supplies is great - that's usually my default go-to present for kids that age anyway. I also think its fine to say books in English, even if its not the predominant language in your area. I know a couple, here in the US where one parent is from Denmark - we just use the internet to get books and videos, etc in Danish for the kids since we know they are teaching them the language.

Art supplies and books are always good ideas.  No kid can ever have too much of either. 

I also like the suggestion for the invitation.  It's clear and gets the job done. 

KitchenKitten

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 10:40:49 PM »
POD on art and crafty things.

The whole gift-getting and party thing is why we have totally steered away from an actual party for all 5 kids and more towards doing an activity they would like to do. My kids are at an age where they play with stuff for a couple months, then forget about it. We have a mound of toys and things they have gotten for birthdays past that are being compiled to be donated hopefully this weekend.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 11:16:18 PM »
Babybartfast is four.  For her birthday, I wrote out an invitation with the what/when/where and some clip art of balloons, printed some out, and had Babybartfast color them herself.  (Some came out more useful than others - and one I saved because it was the first time she wrote her name legibly!)  As for the what to get question, I stuck with broad themes: "She really likes astronauts, dinosaurs, fairy princess ballerinas, and anything sparkly."  She did receive one or two gifts I quietly put in the regifting pile, but she loved everything else (and she did receive quite a variety of presents!).