Author Topic: my baby is turning 4  (Read 3430 times)

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
Re: my baby is turning 4
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 01:33:13 AM »
At 4 our daughter declared herself a true child if mine but telling us that "books are the best thing in the world".  We then suggested that book tokens to people wanting gift ideas.  She loved choosing her own books and then writing thank you notes about the book she had chosen.  Putting together several tokens enabled her to select more expensive books.  I made sticky labels to put inside giving her birth and who they were from.

Thirty years later she still has several of those books, although they did the rounds of friends and cousins.  Many of our family have continued the tradition and still give her tokens thirty years later.  I smile to myself when i borrow books from her and see that she still puts labels in the back.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »
If you tell people "no gifts", and some people bring gifts anyway, please don't open the gifts publicly.  That rewards the people who went against your wishes and embarrasses the people who respected what you told them.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 04:56:33 PM »
My son is about the same age.  For many four year olds, the greatest thing about a birthday party is the gift the kid gets for his/her friend.  Sometimes the choices are totally off (and it's a good opportunity to teach kids to think about what the birthday child likes, not what they giver likes), but it's a true joy for kids that age to pick a gift, make a card, etc.  I love to discourage gifts (my house is overflowing), but for her little friends' parents I would give her interests (Angry Birds, Legos, Angelina Ballerina, trucks, etc)