Author Topic: I'm sorry you're not feeling well, can I interest you in buying my supplements?  (Read 2665 times)

Samgirl2

I feel very strongly that this person has overstepped the mark!

An acquaintance of a friend, lets call her Suzy, it's a sports and remedial massage therapist. After having some problems with my back and shoulders I went to see her, on the recommendation of my friend, on a semi regular basis for a few months.  She's very good at her job and very friendly, but I always felt a bit trapped into booking my next appointment before I left and it turned into a never ending cycle, even when my back was pretty much better. Not cheap either.

Eventually I said I wouldn't be booking another regular appt, I'd just be in touch if I felt I needed it.

I should also add that she had requested to add me as a friend on facebook and follows me on twitter. She also started coming to my church because she knew friend and I and a number of her other clients all went there.

Since then she has also started a sideline company selling vitamins and other supplements. Now my facebook and twitter feeds are full of statuses advertising her products. She even started texting my mobile with special offers.

I unfollowed her on Twitter and removed her notifications from my news feed on facebook. I wouldn't mind if I had been following a company, but I had accepted her friend request because it was her personal account.

She has stopped coming to our church but before she stopped she always seemed to be trying to drum up business for her company.

Anyway, I haven't spoken to her in a while now but I posted a facebook status today about having this nasty head cold  :(   I just received a text message from her which read: "Hi, sorry to here from facebook you're not well. Can I interest you in some aloe vera tonic? I've got a special offer on it and am putting in orders today, it will help with the cold. Hope you feel better soon".

Since when did me having a cold become an opportunity to sell me stuff?!

heartmug

I think you are going to have to go the simple "No thank you" route and refuse to further engage in a discussion of her about it.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
It's a business relationship. Yes, she's going to be disappointed if you don't book another appointment or buy her supplements, but it isn't your job in life to keep her happy. Repeat that to yourself over and over again. Her happiness isn't your responsibility. If she's disappointed, it's not your fault. The reason we get trapped into situations like this, and we all do, is that we fell guilty over disappointing the others.

There is nothing rude with saying "I'm not ready to book another appointment; when I need one, I'll call" and "I'm sorry, I'm not interested in your supplements."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

LeveeWoman

I'd just ignore her latest salvo.

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
In my experience, network marketers are *trained* to look at every relationship and every occasion as a selling oppotunity. They are taught to specifically look for these "openings" like your Facebook status. She may even have been enciuraged to join your church for the purpose of networking.

I think if you want to continue a social relationship, you will have to bluntly (but kindly) state that you are not now, nor will you ever be, a customer. Perhaps as an advance effort, that you are also not interested in selling the product. These marketers are also trained to counter objections, so be prepared.

DaDancingPsych

If you ask me, I don't see a friendship. This started as a business transaction and has continued down that path. When you followed her on Twitter and Facebook, you were not liking personal pages, they were a business. The business just happens to be this woman. (Same thing when you like a celebrity's page; it's a business page.) I would handle the situation with the appropriate business etiquette. "No thank you" (or even no response) when necessary and feel free to unfollow these pages when you are no longer interested in the services. I think you would be equally entitled to unsubscribe to her text messages. "I am not interested in receiving your offers through text at this time. Please remove me from your texting list. I will be in touch if I am again interested." It's polite; no guilt needed.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
You can just defriend her on Facebook. She's not really a personal friend.

So do so. And don't feel bad if it comes across as though it's linked to this sales pitch. Because it is--accurate feedback is good for people.

KB

A good professional does not keep pressuring people to use their services when they no longer need them. My physiotherapist actually sends me away when I'm not quite fixed (unless I ask for another appointment) because I can do the rest of it myself. This encourages me to come back to him. Your therapist is foolishly doing the opposite - holding people close in an attempt to keep them, which will actually drive them away. I suggest it's time you find yourself someone new, block her on Facebook, send her an 'unsubscribe' email and don't waste another moment thinking about her.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
Ugh, I know this song and dance!

I got a new tattoo on Sunday so of course I posted about it in FB.  Not five minutes later, I get this message from my friend R's husband, J:

"hey GEH, i saw you got a tattoo, forgot you liked tattoos. Got me thinking about asking you if you had heard of skincerity before? its a product that I sell, it works wonders on old and new tattoos, heals a tatoo within 5 days.  grapeseed oil and vitamin E are the only 2 ingredients. its safe even on babys skin.  it does more than heal tattoos its anti aging as well as heals an assortment of skin problems, aczema, sorisis, warts, stretch marks. *website link*, lmk if you want to try it out.  i have a friend moving to *yourtown* soon and i can have her bring you a bottle.  products and business is amazing.  well if you end up trying the product and like it and want to make money from the product we can talk about that. specially if you know artists, this product could help their clients and make you guys money."

Even more frustrating is that whenever I do hear from J, it's usually some MLM nonsense or him trying to sell me on some new product he's hawking to try and make more money.  It's never just a "Hey, how's it going?" type of message.

Le sigh. 
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
Since her only contact with you appears to be marketing, there is nothing wrong with defriending and blocking her, and texting her back telling her not to spam you. You did not provide your personal contact info to her so she could market to you, so she is abusing your confidential information. That is inappropriate, and I don't think you need to be afraid to call a spam a spam.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

cwm

Honestly I'd just ignore texts from her like this. It's targeted advertising. Unfriend her on FB so she can't see things like that any more. If she texts you in the future asking why she hasn't heard from you in a while, just say that she did such a good job the first time you saw her that everything's been fine, but you'll keep her number on hand if you ever need it again. And then keep it on hand for when you need it again...like whenever you need to ignore it.