Author Topic: My new neighbors have moved in! UPDATED, pg 4 post 52  (Read 21078 times)

MOM21SON

My new neighbors have moved in! UPDATED, pg 4 post 52
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:05:01 PM »
And they are already on my nerves.

For some reason they park on the grass about 12 feet from my bedroom window and have very loud phone conversations.

Since Wednesday I have cleaned their trash out of my yard 3 times.  It has been very windy and there is tons of trash on the side of their house.

There are 3 old TV's in the middle of the driveway.

How long is a reasonable amount of time to move in and "get settled?"  Like move your junk to a closed in area.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:00:31 PM by MOM21SON »

TeamBhakta

Re: My new neighbors have moved in!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:10:42 PM »
Politely tell them "My bedroom is close to where everyone is having phone conversations. I know you guys don't mean to wake me up, but it has happened several times."

As far as the TVs, you shouldn't say anything directly to them. Check with your town's code enforcement first. If it is a violation, let code enforcement deal with it. If they say it's allowed, though, you'll need to bite your tongue.

Amara

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
Are they renters or owners?

MOM21SON

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:18:16 PM »
Are they renters or owners?

Owners. 

Gah, my yard is not the neatest by any means.  Well it is picked up but no fancy landscaping or anything.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »
Is the trash "moving trash" such as boxes and stuff related to moving that is likely to be a short term thing or household trash?

Calistoga

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 10:08:07 PM »
Next time they're having a phone conversation, lean out the window and ask if they can move because you're trying to read/nap/not listen to their conversation but you can't help but hear.

Otterpop

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 10:38:15 PM »
I sympathize.  My "new neighbor" moved in 3 years ago and immediately started renovations.  Yay, property improvement!  Then, after the house was beautifully fixed up, she started having loud drunken parties until 3 or 4 am every other weekend (and she's a cop!).  I've been kept up all night and found errant trash in my backyard more than once.

I would try to talk to them, once, about the trash and the loud conversations.  If they are not receptive, call code enforcement and see what they can do.  Most people do not like the city on their tails.  That's what I had to resort to.  My neighbor and I no longer speak either.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 02:29:03 AM »
Have you officially met/welcomed them? If not, I would start there. This may be an adjustment period or they may be annoying people. But I believe that when you have good neighbors it can be a blessing so start on as good tone-go over with a plate of cookies and introduce yourself, tell them which gas station ( or whatever) is is the better one, and then mention 'I notice you parked your cars on x, it's right below my bedroom window. Could you please park at Y spot? Thanks!'

If things don't get better then you go up the food chain.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

MOM21SON

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 09:17:50 AM »
I am hoping te water bottles and plastic bags are only moving in mess.  This morning I woke up to something new,

I have a very nice oak tree on my side yard outside my window.  They now have chairs out there right along the property line but set for a nice shady conversation spot and the car is moved back a little. 

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 09:43:12 AM »
I feel for you OP.  The people that lived next to me were surprised when we and the people on the other side suddenly decided to build fences.  I would introduce myself and then maybe point out the property line and explain that you can hear their phone conversations, and you would hate to them to think you were eavesdropping.  I would give them to the next garbage pick up to see how that pans out (moving detritus v garbage dump), especially if it has been windy.  They may not realize it is blowing into your yard.  I have had people joke that I should write a book about my experiences with crazy neighbors through the years (I seem to have a magnet for them) so I sympathize with anyone who just wants their home to be peaceful.

Poppea

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 09:45:17 AM »
I am hoping te water bottles and plastic bags are only moving in mess.  This morning I woke up to something new,

I have a very nice oak tree on my side yard outside my window.  They now have chairs out there right along the property line but set for a nice shady conversation spot and the car is moved back a little.

Play polka music out of your window?

Minmom3

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 10:57:28 AM »
Lawrence Welk?!   8)
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »
While I think introducing yourself and offering a neighborly plate of baked goods is always a good idea, I don't think I'd bring up the loud conversations at the same time. Smacks too much of "Here, I'm giving you cookies; now shut up."

Go over, introduce yourself, bring baked goods if you like. Tell them useful bits of information about the neighborhood and go home.

Then, the next time there's a loud conversation outside your window, poke your head out and cheerfully and politely ask them to lower their voices, as you can hear everything they are saying.

Then see what happens.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Possum

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 12:34:26 PM »
Next time they're having a phone conversation, lean out the window and ask if they can move because you're trying to read/nap/not listen to their conversation but you can't help but hear.
When I was in an apartment, I had a neighbor once who used to have very loud conversations by her open window.  It got old, so one day I started responding back to stuff she was saying, from within my own apartment.

Her: "Oh my god, did you hear what she said?"

Me: "No!  What?"

Her:  "Oh, he's such an bacon-fed knave."

Me: "No kidding, I hear that a lot about him."

She yelled at me (couldn't see me) to shut up, it was a private conversation...  But it worked.

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 02:16:50 PM »
I, too, just got new neighbors and I'm currently alternating between wanting to be neighborly and introduce myself and wanting to complain to the office (I live in a townhouse complex) about the door slamming, children squealing and loud music until 3 am this morning and now the trash strewn across the courtyard between our two homes (which are directly across from either).

I cannot wait until we buy a house.