Author Topic: My new neighbors have moved in! UPDATED, pg 4 post 52  (Read 20075 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: My new neighbors have moved in!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »
I, too, just got new neighbors and I'm currently alternating between wanting to be neighborly and introduce myself and wanting to complain to the office (I live in a townhouse complex) about the door slamming, children squealing and loud music until 3 am this morning and now the trash strewn across the courtyard between our two homes (which are directly across from either).

I cannot wait until we buy a house.

I have some  new neighbors in my courtyard as well. Since its nice out, we all have our windows open, and I think they can only communicate in one volume, LOUD. Add to that the fact that any noise echos all around and its annoying. Last night they must have had company as I heard yelling laughing and children screeching well past midnight. I was still up, but if it continues, I will be giving my buddy in the office a call

m2kbug

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 08:36:36 PM »
I'm going to say one week.  This is probably way too much time, but I have had a situation or two where I have had some big items that I couldn't deal with by myself, and it takes a little bit of time to make certain arrangements. 

If you're comfortable talking to these people in person about the noise, do so now.  They might not even be aware that they are causing a problem, in addition to the trash situation.  Other options are to make a complaint with the homeowner's association, landlord, or police. 

MOM21SON

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 07:17:10 PM »
I have a small update.  I bought a new blind for my bedroom window for that side and I am so glad I did.  The side of their house now contains, 4 very full garbage cans, A car bumper, and very big piles of loose trash that just blow around.  There is also laundry hanging on the chain link fence separating the backyards.  The chair is still there but not being used.

I guess I am just too "shy" to say anything.  I do not want a neighbor war and really they are on their own property.

We are considering putting in a wood fence on that side. 

Girly

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »
Wood fences are very nice.... We put one up for our dogs, but it was very effective in blocking out the Kitty-Litter (instead of mulch) lined trees our neighbor has in his backyard.

alkira6

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 01:25:12 PM »
Wood fences are very nice.... We put one up for our dogs, but it was very effective in blocking out the Kitty-Litter (instead of mulch) lined trees our neighbor has in his backyard.

Sorry, but how would this even work?

snowdragon

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 01:31:44 PM »
I, too, just got new neighbors and I'm currently alternating between wanting to be neighborly and introduce myself and wanting to complain to the office (I live in a townhouse complex) about the door slamming, children squealing and loud music until 3 am this morning and now the trash strewn across the courtyard between our two homes (which are directly across from either).

We own.  The neighbors "across" the street rent. They are pigs.   They have their garbage "cans' out front ( illegal here) and toss their garbage out the door, if it hits the cans, great. If not -ohwell.  the porch is used for storage. and they take pleasure in annoying the homeowners closest to them. One family had to fence in their yard and driveway because these folks would use their property at will, including parking in the driveway 'because it's easier for us' .  So now that their preferred driveway is fenced off, they park on the street, and empty the crap from their car on to other people's lawns. Repeated complaints to the landlord - does nothing, they play the kid card and say the landlord is trying to evict them because they have kids and that the neighbors are only complaining because the kids "sometimes play in their yards"  neither is true - we are sick of the mess we have to pick up and live around because of their slovenly habits.   The kicker? The woman in this couple is a cop and the husband a fireman...they are not above "flashing" their badge to anyone who complains. 
  They even use our address to get their mail - because it's easier for them.  I simply write "not at this address" and send it all back and we have had a lawyer send a "cease and desist" letter.  They continue blithely on their way.
   My point in telling this story is that owning is not a guarantee that the neighbors won't be pigs. When we moved in the house in question was owned by an older woman and her son and well kept up. They died, the landlord bought it and we have had nothing but trouble with the tenants ever since. 

reflection5

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 02:36:55 PM »

We own.  The neighbors "across" the street rent. They are pigs.

My point in telling this story is that owning is not a guarantee that the neighbors won't be pigs.

It is so true that home owners are not necessarily better neighbors.

Friends of mine bought a house in an upscale neighborhood, and their closest neighbors (also owners) have been a problem for a couple of years.  Lots of loud motocycles, drunken parties in the yard, loud music, kids running around squealing at all hours, grass that always needs cutting, junky cars in the yard……….and so on.

Otterpop

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 03:25:28 PM »

Wood fences are solid.  Chain link is open and let's anything blow through.  I think poster meant the kitty litter no longer migrated into her yard.  OP would be blocking her "new" view of the neighbors garbage.

Good fence = better neighbor relations (most often).  OP, a tall hedge would also mitigate the sound.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:04:23 PM by Otterpop »

magicdomino

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 03:44:46 PM »

Wood fences are solid.  Chain link is open and let's anything blow through.  I think poster meant the kitty litter no longer migrated to her yard.  OP would be blocking her "new" view of the neighbors garbage.

Good fence = better neighbor relations (most often).  OP, a tall hedge would also mitigate the sound.

Don't know about Alkira6, but I was wondering about how useful kitty litter would be as a mulch.   It wasn't used kitter litter, was it?   :P

MOM21SON

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 04:49:25 PM »
I have thought about hedges but I would rather have their chairs by a fence than the hedges.

Two tall barstool type chairs have been added to the area as well as a office chair by the lounge chair in the front yard.

Our side yard and back yard have a chainlink fence.  Guess where laundry is hung to dry?  I am so happy that trees are right up to our side of that fence that there is no where to hang clothes.  Only the back fence in their yard.

The fence company is supposed to be by later to give a estimate.

It just squicks me out that people are hanging out right by my bedroom window.

reflection5

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 04:58:46 PM »
Our side yard and back yard have a chainlink fence.  Guess where laundry is hung to dry?

Ugh. ::)

alkira6

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 06:46:37 PM »

Wood fences are solid.  Chain link is open and let's anything blow through.  I think poster meant the kitty litter no longer migrated to her yard.  OP would be blocking her "new" view of the neighbors garbage.

Don't know about Alkira6, but I was wondering about how useful kitty litter would be as a mulch.   It wasn't used kitter litter, was it?   :P

Yeah, that. Kitty litter as mulch - it rains, turns to slime, dries out (it's clay) and becomes this barrier to moisture getting in.

Minmom3

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »

We own.  The neighbors "across" the street rent. They are pigs.   They have their garbage "cans' out front ( illegal here) and toss their garbage out the door, if it hits the cans, great. If not -ohwell.  the porch is used for storage. and they take pleasure in annoying the homeowners closest to them. One family had to fence in their yard and driveway because these folks would use their property at will, including parking in the driveway 'because it's easier for us' .  So now that their preferred driveway is fenced off, they park on the street, and empty the crap from their car on to other people's lawns. Repeated complaints to the landlord - does nothing, they play the kid card and say the landlord is trying to evict them because they have kids and that the neighbors are only complaining because the kids "sometimes play in their yards"  neither is true - we are sick of the mess we have to pick up and live around because of their slovenly habits.   The kicker? The woman in this couple is a cop and the husband a fireman...they are not above "flashing" their badge to anyone who complains. 
  They even use our address to get their mail - because it's easier for them.  I simply write "not at this address" and send it all back and we have had a lawyer send a "cease and desist" letter.  They continue blithely on their way.
   My point in telling this story is that owning is not a guarantee that the neighbors won't be pigs. When we moved in the house in question was owned by an older woman and her son and well kept up. They died, the landlord bought it and we have had nothing but trouble with the tenants ever since.

Might it be worth your while to get a PO Box so they CAN'T get their mail before you return it to sender?  What horrible neighbors...
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

snowdragon

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 11:03:09 PM »

Might it be worth your while to get a PO Box so they CAN'T get their mail before you return it to sender?  What horrible neighbors...

No, On most days I am here when the mailman comes and have turned in so much mail at the local post office, the postmaster is getting cranky. Cranky postmasters are not fun to deal with - for the people causing the problem.

NyaChan

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 11:19:04 PM »
Why is it easier for them to receive mail at your house rather than their own?