Author Topic: My new neighbors have moved in! UPDATED, pg 4 post 52  (Read 18260 times)

MOM21SON

Re: My new neighbors have moved in! UPDATED, pg 4 post 52
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2013, 07:55:06 PM »
The little orange flags are still up marking property lines.  I know I have to do something because it isn't fair to make the fence company do it.

I don't like confrontation, some may differ, but I really don't. 

I don't want to call the police or any authoritative figure for help.  I think that opens up a "well, I will just call the police, that's what she did."

I did send the pic I just took to the fence guy.  He gets it.

snowdragon

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2013, 08:10:24 PM »
Are you near a city that would have an immigrant service? They could send a translator to explain things to them.  many places that serve immigrants also try to help them get to know the culture they moved to. It could help clear things up.

To the folks who posted about my situation. I have been sending things back for years. They persist in giving out our address. As I stated before I have gone as far as having a lawyer send them a cease and desist letter...and it did nothing.  The Post Master is aware of the situation and we are working with her to get things worked out.  But every complaint is met by these folks with claims of discrimination and flashing of the cop's badge. ( basically trying to insinuate that they can do what they want because she's a cop).

MummySweet

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2013, 08:12:59 PM »
Mom21Son, If you know what language they speak, you might consider calling a local community organization or church of that ethnicity/background.  Explain that you are having difficulty explaining an important property issue to your neighbors because of the language barrier and ask if they might be able to help.    Many of these organizations have people who will volunteer as translators, particularly in cases where community harmony is concerned

*** Looks like Snowdragon beat me to it.   :)

MOM21SON

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2013, 08:20:14 PM »
Mummysweet and Snowdragon, I am going to look into that.  When my old neighbors told me who would be moving in, they did tell me about the church that was helping them. 

cross_patch

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2013, 11:19:35 PM »
I don't understand why you wouldn't say this is my yard?
ETA I see that you said these are the flags, but did you explicitly say this is my yard? Don't sit here?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:29:04 PM by cross_patch »

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2013, 11:33:08 PM »
I don't understand why you wouldn't say this is my yard?

She has tried..they have a language barrier.  I feel for you MOM21SON, I had these neighbors.  Garbage, noise and the hedges and fence were not a deterrent at all they would just mosey on down my driveway to play in my yard.  The mother had a very thick accent, but her numerous kids (we actually lost count we know they ranged from newborn to 20's) knew English and I think when it came to trying to solve issues, she conveniently did not understand (they had been in this country at least 9 years by the time they finally moved).  I will say she did have an impressive command of swear words though.  The organization that helped them was a waste of time when we, the police, the schools, everyone complained...they went as far as to sue for discrimination on the families behalf when they were evicted from their 3rd place in 2 years (this was when I got them as neighbors and the landlord didn't care).  I think you do need to find a translator in the community that can help.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2013, 07:13:40 AM »
I think you need to tell them that they cannot come into your yard and sit under your tree.

If something happens while they are sitting there, you will be held liable for any damages/injuries, etc.

Do they keep their chairs there? I would move them onto their property. 

I would put a "no trespassing" sign on your tree.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2013, 01:09:23 PM »
Snowdragon, take pictures and bring it to the fire and police chief. Also, contact the newspaper, anonymously, of course, and make the situation a little more known.

Instead of turning the mail over right away, hang onto it for a week or so, then bring it to the postoffice, after contacting your lawyer again. Bring this to the police and fire chiefs attention as well. They may not be as amused about the usage of a badge being used to intimidate people as the ones doing the intimidating.

mom21son, all I can say is good luck, and the fence should work.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2013, 01:13:16 PM »
Would it do any good to post a sign in a language they do not speak? Do you have any friends or coworkers that might be able to assist with translation? I am not certain the fence contractor can do his work if there are people in the way.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »
If it's a commonly spoken language, I would think that somebody here would probably be able to give you some wording (Spanish, French, that sort of thing) that would be better than Google Translate, at least.  But, yeah, I'd also consider putting in some little stakes and actually attaching a line across the yard line (after moving their chairs back over to their yard).  As others have said, there's liability for having them in your yard, and making it clear where the fence line is would probably help for when the guys come to fence the yard.  I'd think there'd be a halfway decent chance that if you put in some sort of stakes where the orange flags are, then attach a clearly visible line (there is bright pink string, that sort of thing) around a foot high or something, it will make the fact that their yard ends there very clear, and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the end of it without you having to say anything.  If they just step over the line... well, then you've got people who are either *very* clueless or who are deliberately using your yard, and the next step might be necessary.  When does the fence go up?

SPuck

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »
You should call your local officers non-emergency number, explain your situation and your documents, and ask them for advice on what you should do.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »
I would use google translate to write out a simple note with the picture of them around your tree.  The note should say, You are on my property/You are in my yard and this is my tree.  I put up flags to show where your yard is.  Please stay behind the flags. Thank you.

And print it out and see if someone at the bank can assist you in making sure it's worded correctly.  Or even perhaps saying what language and someone on here can PM you as well.

MrTango

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2013, 02:23:10 PM »
Are you near a city that would have an immigrant service? They could send a translator to explain things to them.  many places that serve immigrants also try to help them get to know the culture they moved to. It could help clear things up.

To the folks who posted about my situation. I have been sending things back for years. They persist in giving out our address. As I stated before I have gone as far as having a lawyer send them a cease and desist letter...and it did nothing.  The Post Master is aware of the situation and we are working with her to get things worked out.  But every complaint is met by these folks with claims of discrimination and flashing of the cop's badge. ( basically trying to insinuate that they can do what they want because she's a cop).

If someone did that to me, I'd have called the police department immediately and said that there is a person claiming to be a police officer harassing me.

Gyburc

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2013, 06:43:43 AM »
MOM21SON, I hope you can find a way of getting the message across to your neighbours as soon as possible. I understand completely that you don't like confrontation - neither do I. And your new neighbours may be delightful people who simply don't understand how property lines work in a foreign country. But that is all the more reason to get this sorted out straight away, for their benefit as much as for yours.

Of course, it could also be that they are actually jerks who are using the language barrier as a way of getting to do what they want at your expense. But the same applies - the sooner this is sorted out the better.

I hope it goes well!
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »
Mom21Son.......is there anything new?