Author Topic: Re: Restaurants that include the tip in the bill. Ud 27, 58  (Read 14787 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Re: Restaurants that include the tip in the bill, UD 27
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 10:29:56 PM »
I joined a large group to a restaurant for a party.

No refills of iced tea were given.  There were people who wanted to order a dessert (specialty of the house) after dinner.  The waitress didn't come back to do that, either.

Plates were served to the wrong people in a couple of places - but got swapped around to get to the right person rather quickly (people seated next to each other rather than people at opposite ends of the table for 14).  It took long enough to serve all of us that the people at one end were done eating while the rest of us were just getting our chicken salad with grapes & pecans on a slice of melon at the other end. 

Only half the table had their checks given to them.

About a third of us put a dollar or two on the table and went to the cash register to pay out.  Where we were charged an auto gratuity, even after mentioning no chance to order dessert and no refills of the iced tea (hot summer day in Georgia and we were eating on the patio - under a roof, with fans, no A/C).  When three of us went back to pick up the cash tips.......they were gone already - fastest the waitress had gotten to the table the entire time we were there.

The group never went back.  None of the other groups that had members in common with that group (Officers' Spouses' Club, two or three Red Hat groups, volunteers at a consignment store, and various potential family events such as weddings, baby showers, and the like) were not held there - because everyone that I talked to said that they didn't want to go there again....for a twenty minute drive, it was no longer worth it to them.

We headed north to Macon, instead of south.......
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Restaurants that include the tip in the bill, UD 27
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 11:12:52 PM »
I can't say I am surprised about the bill.  I meant to mention that you should check it.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »
I used to waitress, and nothing cheesed me off more than busting my butt for a large group after the theater let out and then they either left little or nothing, so I think any party over 10 should have an automatic gratuity added but it should be told up front (altho you have the large parties that all get separate checks so that goes down the drain).  But if I am just out to eat with my sister or a friend, and they automatically added a tip, they would be taking it off.  I tip, and am rather generous (I usually go 20%) but I have also left smaller tips for bad service (if the food is bad and the waitress tried to remedy the solution I don't penalize her for that, she didn't cook it), and on 2 occasions, have left no tip, but explained to a manager why (Oh it was bad  so very baaaaad).   If I caught a restaurant automatically charging me, I would check my credit card statement/bank statement to make sure they didn't add it back on after I left!

Susiqzer

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »
I used to waitress, and nothing cheesed me off more than busting my butt for a large group after the theater let out and then they either left little or nothing, so I think any party over 10 should have an automatic gratuity added but it should be told up front (altho you have the large parties that all get separate checks so that goes down the drain).  But if I am just out to eat with my sister or a friend, and they automatically added a tip, they would be taking it off.  I tip, and am rather generous (I usually go 20%) but I have also left smaller tips for bad service (if the food is bad and the waitress tried to remedy the solution I don't penalize her for that, she didn't cook it), and on 2 occasions, have left no tip, but explained to a manager why (Oh it was bad  so very baaaaad).   If I caught a restaurant automatically charging me, I would check my credit card statement/bank statement to make sure they didn't add it back on after I left!

I used to waitress as well, and I couldn't agree more with this!

At my restaurant, the auto-gratuity was for parties of 8 or more, and at the server's discretion. After being burned by a few larger parties, I decided to add it at the point where it was too much money for me to risk, which at the time was $20.

However, (1) I was pretty darn good at my job, and (2) if a guest had an issue with the gratuity, they could ask me about it and/or ask a manager to remove it from the bill.

In regard to the OP, I'm guessing that crossing it off the credit card slip wasn't going to help, because it was still officially part of the bill at that point. I couldn't modify the amount of the check or the tip after the card had been run; a manager could have removed the charge and re-run the card, but once you've left the restaurant everyone's hands are tied.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 12:41:27 AM »
I understand the difficulties in finding a way to make sure that servers are adequately paid, while maintaining a way of rewarding a good job beyond the minimum. However, when something is a "gratuity," it implies it is something given at the will of the person giving it, not something demanded by the receiver. Calling something an "automatic gratuity" is a manipulative way of making it sound like it is not simply an extra cost charged by the restaurant, when it is. It is an illusion of choice.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2013, 12:45:10 AM »
I understand the difficulties in finding a way to make sure that servers are adequately paid, while maintaining a way of rewarding a good job beyond the minimum. However, when something is a "gratuity," it implies it is something given at the will of the person giving it, not something demanded by the receiver. Calling something an "automatic gratuity" is a manipulative way of making it sound like it is not simply an extra cost charged by the restaurant, when it is. It is an illusion of choice.

Well said! Especially about it being an "illusion of choice" because that's how I felt.

25wishes

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2013, 08:38:38 AM »
I understand the difficulties in finding a way to make sure that servers are adequately paid, while maintaining a way of rewarding a good job beyond the minimum.

IDK, just about everyone else who works in this economy is adequately paid and is held to certain standards of quality in doing his/her job. Many jobs have rewards/incentives for excellent work. What is so different about waiters?

I find the whole "tipping" system outdated.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 12:08:23 PM »
Ohhhh, I am angry now.

I hung onto the receipt, just for good measure. I checked my credit card charges. The restaurant charged me the 18% tip anyway!!!

It's a $7 difference. I contacted the credit card company and disputed the charges!!!

I'll also be adding this to Yelp.

Are you sure that charge went all the way through?  I've seen where I'd put a meal on a credit card and leave a cash tip, and I'd wind up with a "pending" charge that included a certain percentage.  However, the final charge would go through for the correct amount.

MrTango

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »
Ohhhh, I am angry now.

I hung onto the receipt, just for good measure. I checked my credit card charges. The restaurant charged me the 18% tip anyway!!!

It's a $7 difference. I contacted the credit card company and disputed the charges!!!

I'd call the restaurant, too, and tell the manager. Let him know this constitutes as theft because you did not authorize that charge!

I'm glad you kept the receipt.

I wouldn't call the restaurant.  There's no need to warn them that their fraud has been noticed and acted upon.

reflection5

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
agree with MrTango.  No need to give them a heads up by calling.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »
Ohhhh, I am angry now.

Are you sure that charge went all the way through?  I've seen where I'd put a meal on a credit card and leave a cash tip, and I'd wind up with a "pending" charge that included a certain percentage.  However, the final charge would go through for the correct amount.

Yep. The charge went through fully.

I'm still waiting to see what Bank of America's dispute results are.

I didn't call the restaurant. I figured they had their chance to be honest before they ran the 18% tip against my wishes.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2013, 10:59:24 PM »
Ohhhh, I am angry now.

I'd call the restaurant, too, and tell the manager. Let him know this constitutes as theft because you did not authorize that charge!

I'm glad you kept the receipt.

I wouldn't call the restaurant.  There's no need to warn them that their fraud has been noticed and acted upon.

Or, if this was done in error, it can be corrected right away without having to get authorities involved.  Give the restaurant a chance to right its wrong instead of jumping the gun.  I suggested telling the manager it constitutes as theft in order to show how very serious a matter this is.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

gmatoy

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 01:35:34 AM »
I live in one of the states where the rate of pay is the full state minimum wage, which is higher  than the federal minimum wage.  My DH is a very good tipper and I am also. Therefore, any waitperson who waits on either of us will get a good tip if they give good service. Just keep my water glass filled and check in on us once in a while.

But, if the service is bad, the waitstaff will still get a tip that is over the IRS amount. But do not just add the amount you think we should pay. No. Not happening.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »
Barb, where do you live?

Here in the US, waitstaff usually make about $2.30 an hour - way below minimum wage. They are expected to make it up in tips. And they are taxed on the tips they are assumed to make.

So, not tipping a server is stealing from them. They will pay income taxes on a tip whether or not they actually it.

Until we catch up with the rest of the civilized world, and restaurants pay servers what they are worth, it is up to us diners to make it up.
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

CakeBeret

Re: Re: Restaurants that include the tip in the bill, UD 27
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »
Barb, where do you live?

Here in the US, waitstaff usually make about $2.30 an hour - way below minimum wage. They are expected to make it up in tips. And they are taxed on the tips they are assumed to make.

So, not tipping a server is stealing from them. They will pay income taxes on a tip whether or not they actually it.

Until we catch up with the rest of the civilized world, and restaurants pay servers what they are worth, it is up to us diners to make it up.

Some states do not have a separate minimum wage for waitstaff, and require that waitstaff be paid full minimum wage. I think Washington is one of them...

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

It looks like Alaska, California, Minnesota, Montana (in some situations), Nevada, Oregon, and Washington require that waitstaff be paid full minimum wage.

Ehellions in those states, is tipping protocol (15-18%) the same in your states?
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."