News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 03, 2015, 10:56:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re: Restaurants that include the tip in the bill. Ud 27, 58  (Read 18862 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Restaurants that include the tip in the bill, UD 27
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »
I understand the difficulties in finding a way to make sure that servers are adequately paid, while maintaining a way of rewarding a good job beyond the minimum.

IDK, just about everyone else who works in this economy is adequately paid and is held to certain standards of quality in doing his/her job. Many jobs have rewards/incentives for excellent work. What is so different about waiters?

I find the whole "tipping" system outdated.

Yeah, I don't see this as being at all a certainty.

RooRoo

• I’m out of my mind. Please leave a message.
Re: Restaurants that include the tip in the bill. Ud 27, 58
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2013, 12:44:26 PM »
I, too, find the tipping system outdated. (I also find it demeaning - people shouldn't have to depend on someone's whim to earn a living.)

But until the laws are changed, we're stuck with it. And I will continue to tip enough to (at least) make it up to minimum wage, because many employers ignore the law* - and also because a lot of servers deserve more than minimum wage.

*The DOL doesn't have undercover investigators, so the law doesn't get enforced unless a few people complain; and enough servers are ignorant of it that it rarely gets reported.
…though he by no means wished to accept the invitation, he had not yet acquired the necessary power of decidedly saying No.
     Mrs. Edgeworth, The Parents Assistant, “The Mimic;” 1795

25wishes

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
Barb here again - I live in the US - I am not saying to NOT tip, I just think the whole system should be changed so that waitstaff gets paid a good wage and does not have to depend on tips. Like they do in Europe. I doubt that will happen though.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2013, 09:56:56 PM »
I completely agree. I hate the fact that tipping is becoming expected in the U.S. in a lot of places. I buy coffee, there's a tip jar. I order pizza, I pay a delivery charge, but I should also tip the driver for doing the job he/she was already being paid to do. It's ridiculous. I take a taxi, I need to add a tip, etc.

I feel like it's like another form of bait and switch. While I'm on my soapbox, I also hate that prices don't show the tax, in the U.S. the way other countries do it. I have $10 in my wallet. So I have to think "Ok, I can only order $6 worth of food because they're going to add tax and then it's going to be $8.37 and I have no pockets, but they're going to give me back $1.63 and I have no place for all the coins, so I might as well use the $0.63 for a tip, but that's not enough, so I'll add the $1 as well. Too much drama. Just tell me how much the sandwich is. In whole dollar amounts. And let me eat it in peace!