Author Topic: Where do people ride horses?  (Read 991 times)

AylaM

Where do people ride horses?
« on: April 14, 2013, 01:14:48 AM »
This may sound like a silly question, but when I tried to google I never quite got the answer I was looking for.

How do you exercise your horse?  Where do you ride your horse?

I assume that people who compete in competitions board horses somewhere where there is room to practice.

But we have a small horse facility just up the road.  It has a small ring for riding.  The operative word is small.  I can't imagine that it would be the only place that the horse owners/riders would ride.  It seems like that wouldn't be too interesting after a while and would turn riding into a chore.

There is one park in the county that has a trail.  And it is very short.  And whenever we've been there I've only seen a horse trailer once.  I can't imagine that this is the only place they ride.  But it isn't like we see people riding the horses down the streets.

But I know that horses need a lot of exercise.  And driving the horse out of town to ride it multiple times a week doesn't seem likely.  So do people just ride in circles?  Lots and lots of circles? Or do take horses to trails regularly and I just haven't noticed?

TeamBhakta

Re: Where do people ride horses?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 01:20:18 AM »
I don't ride horses, but many people in my area own or train them. Some of them ride / lead their horses along the grassy shoulder of the road.

dawnfire

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 04:23:40 AM »
I don't ride but a lot of people ride horses in my area (note: I'm in a small town just outside Melbourne, Australia).  Some have exercise yards, some will ride them around the town in the wee hours (usually on a Sunday morning), ride them along the quieter roads or take them into the nearby state forest. (there's a nearby trail riding place that does this.)

veryfluffy

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 04:43:33 AM »
I live in a large village in England, and people ride their horses along the bridleways through the countryside, and along the smaller roads. It's not unusual to hear clip-clop clip-clop, and see a couple of people on horseback pass in front of my house on the High Street.

That's aside from when they use them for eventing or hunting, etc.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 10:30:53 AM »
I used to ride, many, many years ago. First at a stable in Westlake Village (about 30 miles from my home); that was fun because I lived in West Los Angeles and worked in Burbank -- it was a 100 mile round trip whenever I went riding. The school associated with the stable then moved to the Los Angeles Equestrian Center, which was 5 minutes from my office. It's a great facility (hosts major riding events every year) and has access to the trails in Griffith Park.

There are dozens of stables all through SoCal, some in very urban areas. You just have to know where to look.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 10:44:22 AM »
We board my DD's horse at a facility that has two covered arenas.  We go out and ride at least 3 days each week (Monday-Lesson, Wednesday, Friday).  Before a show we might go out everyday.  In the arena, we do "ride in circles", but we work on specific skils...like picking up the correct diagonals or leads.  We also work on patterns (equitation) similar to the ones my daughter does at the show.  For a change of pace (and to avoid our horse getting arena sour), we will go for a ride around the barn where Kitten (DD) and Acey (our mare) like to round up the ducks.  It's not very far, but they love the change of scenery.

My daughter also lunges her horse prior to riding.  Lunging involves putting the horse on a long rope (25-30 feet) and having it walk, trot, canter around the trainer in the middle.  Kitten will signal the different gaits with vocal and physical cues.  This is done for two reasons.  It exercises the horse, warming up their muscles for riding and it established respect between the horse and rider on the ground.  A horse who does not respect/listen to a person on the ground, rarely listens to the rider on their back.  Since my 10 year old DD took over lunging Acey on her own, I have seen their bond when riding dramatically improve.  Acey always did well for Kitten before, but now, it's almost magical...

Hope that helps!
“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” — Catherine Aird

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 11:08:37 AM »
I'm in MD and there are quite a few trails for horses.  Gettysburg, Antietam, and Manassas battlefields all allow horses.  The state parks also allow horse riding on some of their trails.   I know our department of natural resources website has a specific website for horseback riding.

Also try trails.com.  it's subscription based, but you can search by activity type

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »
I've always ridden at places with indoor and outdoor arenas. DH and I are looking to buy a small hobby farm in the next year, and I'm a bit nervous about having enough space to ride! I know lots of people with horses at home ride in fields and along the road, but that always makes me nervous as we're in the middle of farm country/hunter land. It'll be an adventure! :P
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 05:59:21 PM »
I learned to ride at a school with both an indoor and outdoor arena. Given the amount of rain we get here, we mostly rode indoors. From the school's point of view the special flooring was less hard on the horses' legs.

A long time after I would just go out riding on the road, bridleways and in woods where we were allowed to. The downside was that in winter it was extremely cold!
NE England

wheeitsme

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 06:02:13 PM »
Large chunks of Southern California are surprisingly horse friendly.  With riding stables and trails.  Heck, if you ever find yourself in Norco, they have trails rather than sidewalks, and almost every business has a horse rail out front.

snowdragon

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 07:33:26 PM »
Public parks around here are popular places, along the roadside and there are several nature trails that allow it near me. I live in a fairly rural village and it's not uncommon to see even along the larger secondary roads.

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 08:46:10 PM »
It depends entirely on where the person that owns the horse lives. I live in the Dallas area, and even within Dallas and the surrounding towns it can vary widely.

My best friend has her own property that's large enough to support two horses comfortable, but doesn't leave a lot options for riding outside of the back paddock which doubles as a grass arena. That's okay right now because her horse doesn't have the training to be going out on trails.

Currently she's boarding him and her second horse at a place up the road from her that's got three arenas, a round pen and lots of space to ride out.

There's also the lake just a bit further up the highway that has miles upon miles upon miles (etc) of trails.

zara1269

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »
When I rode I only rode in arenas...outdoor in summer and indoor in winter. I was never really into riding my horse on a trail. I was afraid of both of us getting hurt.
It never got boring...it's never boring to be on the back of a horse. I miss it now that I don't ride my horse (he's retired and leased to a kid).
Where I go I just don't know...I got to take it slow. When I find my peace of mind. I'm gonna give you some of my good time. ~RCHP

mandycorn

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 01:02:34 PM »
I live in a semi-rural area where lots of people have enough property to keep their horses at home and at least once a week during the summer, I'll see people out riding on the side of the road or on walking trails.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

GratefulMaria

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »
People in my area of rural-ish New England ride on the power line easement.  It's a nice place to walk in the summer and snow-shoe / x-c ski in the winter (it's an active snowmobile trail as well).