Soft Boiled
7 (6.7%)
Poached
13 (12.4%)
Other
28 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: April 21, 2013, 06:51:35 AM

Author Topic: How do you like your eggs?  (Read 3118 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: How do you like your eggs?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 12:09:36 PM »
I love a good poached egg, but since I haven't mastered the technique myself I usually make them sunny side up. If I'm in the mood for chilaquiles, I scramble them with tortilla chips, cheese and hot sauce and if I want them for a snack later, I hard boil a batch.

Eggs in a basket is an absolute comfort food (soft yolks of course) but since I bake my own bread, the bread is too small to cut a sufficiently large hole.

RubyCat

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 12:23:20 PM »
I eat an egg sandwich almost every morning before work. I spray a bowl with cooking spray, break an egg into it, use the shell to break the yolk, cover it in case of spatter, and zap it in the microwave. I put it on bread with maybe a slice of cheese and its enough to keep me going until lunch (or later on the days I'm too busy to take lunch).

But my favorite is egg fried in bacon grease, over easy. Then I like to dunk my bacon and toast in the runny yolk.  Mmmmmmm.

Hillia

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 12:24:38 PM »
I picked 'other' - I really don't like eggs (hard boiled in particular make me gag) unless they are so loaded with other stuff that I can't really taste or feel the egg at all.  I'm trying very hard to follow a low carb diabetic diet, and it's tough to plan a breakfast that isn't all carb-based (cereal?  waffles with fruit?  yogurt with fruit?) and doesn't involve eggs somehow.  I've found recently that egg white frittatas are about the best way, with a lot of cut up vegetables or salsa and a little cheese

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 12:39:32 PM »
Basted.

You can still have a nice runny yolk while the egg white is cooked all the way through (no runny white on top.)

Especially yummy when cooked in bacon grease and the edges of the white gets crispy.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »
i prefer scrambled, but we always have a bowlful of hard boiled in the fridge , it's a great snack - meal filler.

I don't like soft boiled eggs , but I like "almost" hard boiled (when the yolk is still runny and the white is hard).

But my favorite is shakshuka - an israeli/mid eastern dish of eggs poached over spicy tomato sauce. yum yum.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

mmswm

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 01:48:41 PM »
I'm going to have to go with "other".  I haven't met an egg I didn't like.  Now I have a craving for a fried egg sandwich.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 02:12:34 PM »
my kids love chicken in a basket

I forgot that one! We even ate at a resaurant once that offered them. Real butter, of course. They even did it right and toasted the center circle and left it askew on top.I felt like a kid again.

I know what is for lunch!

I think Chicken in a Basket was what we called egg in a hole when I was a child.  Now I want that for lunch and we have everything to make it.  Z

Yes. That's the dish, and 'chicken in a basket' is what we called it in southern Illinois farm community, and I think it was in a Virginia/Georgia/ Arkansas triangle area Bob Evens or generic pancake house that I found it on the menu.

sempronialou

• semper ubi sub ubi
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »
I love eggs, so it doesn't really matter how they are cooked.  Usually I make them scrambled because it's easiest and least time consuming.  But fried egg sandwiches are my favorite. 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »
Where is the All button?

I'm not a fan of scrambled eggs that aren't messed with while cooking, and overcooked, i.e. Standard restaurant scrambled. 

But, except for that, have I ever had eggs I didn't like? ...  No

One of my top 10 favorite foods is a breakfast burrito: Hot Breakfast Sausage, eggs, 2-3 tator tots and cheese.

Fried egg on a hamburger ...  Oh, the goodness

SoCalVal

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 02:26:10 PM »
There should be an option for "all of the above" :)

Pod, although I don't like omelets (except as part of egg sushi).  Otherwise, I LOVE eggs and enjoy them in many different ways, including (not listed) as egg sushi and as egg drop in soup.

mmswm

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
My 10 year old's favorite egg dish is fried eggs over easy on top of a stack of buttermilk pancakes, then covered with real maple syrup.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Amara

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 04:06:02 PM »
I didn't vote because you didn't have an "Anyway at All" button.  :D

Eggs are delicious. I will eat them almost any way. However, my favorite is sort of fried. I use only a little oil and/or a tiny dab of butter. Heat, then add the eggs. Cook gently. I like the undersides with a sort of crust or soft, but the whites have to be cooked to just firm and the yolks still liquid. That's perfection. If I make an omelet, it has to be what I term "French Firmness," that is, just barely set. I don't like overcooked eggs.

I haven't bought eggs at the market for at least five years now. I buy them from a woman at a local feed store who has chickens. The eggs are unwashed so they sit on the counter. A couple of years ago my doctor told me to cut out salt temporarily so I stopped topping my eggs with salt and Tabasco. But a few months later he said to go back to as much salt as I wanted. In the meantime I had become used to not salting food at the table and never did. I eat the eggs plain, and I have to say that I love them. They taste wonderful without any additions.

Rohanna

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »
I get fresh eggs off a friend with a hobby farm- I am very spoiled :)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Library Dragon

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 04:22:51 PM »
Basted.

You can still have a nice runny yolk while the egg white is cooked all the way through (no runny white on top.)

Especially yummy when cooked in bacon grease and the edges of the white gets crispy.

I don't eat eggs often, but this is the magic combo of runny yolk and cooked white.  The crispy edges are so good.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

RubyCat

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »
I didn't vote because you didn't have an "Anyway at All" button.  :D

Eggs are delicious. I will eat them almost any way. However, my favorite is sort of fried. I use only a little oil and/or a tiny dab of butter. Heat, then add the eggs. Cook gently. I like the undersides with a sort of crust or soft, but the whites have to be cooked to just firm and the yolks still liquid. That's perfection. If I make an omelet, it has to be what I term "French Firmness," that is, just barely set. I don't like overcooked eggs.

I haven't bought eggs at the market for at least five years now. I buy them from a woman at a local feed store who has chickens. The eggs are unwashed so they sit on the counter. A couple of years ago my doctor told me to cut out salt temporarily so I stopped topping my eggs with salt and Tabasco. But a few months later he said to go back to as much salt as I wanted. In the meantime I had become used to not salting food at the table and never did. I eat the eggs plain, and I have to say that I love them. They taste wonderful without any additions.

I grew up a city girl. Could you educate me? I recently bought some eggs from a woman I work with who keeps chickens. Should I be treating them differently than the eggs I buy at the market? I know next to nothing about chickens, etc.