Soft Boiled
7 (6.7%)
Poached
13 (12.4%)
Other
28 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: April 21, 2013, 06:51:35 AM

Author Topic: How do you like your eggs?  (Read 3276 times)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: How do you like your eggs?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »
Oh man, I love eggs like I love cheese. I like them scrambled, with cheese. I loooove them fried. I like 'em poached.

I do NOT like them runny. If they're scrambled, they have to be firm.
Words mean things.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2013, 06:25:08 PM »
It depends on my mood, usually it's either poached, soft boiled or once over medium (the yolk is runny and the whites are solid). Hard boiled was forced on me when I was dieting as a teenager (and in that dingdangity Diet Center program in the 80's), so I really detest them now. I will eat scrambled if it's offered to me, or I will make it myself in the microwave in a pinch.

kckgirl

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2013, 07:21:32 PM »
If someone gave me $100, at the very least, I might be able to choke down some kind of egg. But I wouldn't even consider it for less than $100 and I might hold out for more. ;)
Maryland

reflection5

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
If someone gave me $100, at the very least, I might be able to choke down some kind of egg. But I wouldn't even consider it for less than $100 and I might hold out for more. ;)

So, come on, be honest.  Do you like eggs?   :D ;D

kckgirl

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2013, 08:00:55 PM »
reflection5, how could you tell I don't like eggs? Was it the $100, or the choke down comment? :) I have probably eaten two eggs in my entire life (50+ years), but I will eat French toast if the bread is not completely soaked and it is cooked long enough that it's not soggy.
Maryland

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2013, 08:22:52 PM »
Scrambled, fried, hard boiled...any of those three ways.  and if fried, the yolk can be soft but all of the white must be cooked.  And I mean cooked through.                                                                                                                     
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

jmarvellous

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2013, 08:29:38 PM »
We most often have them fried medium at home because I haven't perfected over easy and it's no fun to poach an egg just for me while frying the other. I like them poached or scrambled, or fried with a runny yolk in a slice of toast (we have a weird name for it, but I've always heard other people say "egg in the hole" for it).

I also like quiche or strata but don't make those at home because they'd never get finished up. I've never been any good at omelets.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2013, 08:41:01 PM »
I like eggs in almost any form, but my favorite is hard-boiled or fried with the yoke a little runny.  I'm not fond of omelets, but will eat them.  I won't eat sunny side up or soft-boiled. 

Amara

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 09:31:59 PM »
I didn't vote because you didn't have an "Anyway at All" button.  :D

Eggs are delicious. I will eat them almost any way. However, my favorite is sort of fried. I use only a little oil and/or a tiny dab of butter. Heat, then add the eggs. Cook gently. I like the undersides with a sort of crust or soft, but the whites have to be cooked to just firm and the yolks still liquid. That's perfection. If I make an omelet, it has to be what I term "French Firmness," that is, just barely set. I don't like overcooked eggs.

I haven't bought eggs at the market for at least five years now. I buy them from a woman at a local feed store who has chickens. The eggs are unwashed so they sit on the counter. A couple of years ago my doctor told me to cut out salt temporarily so I stopped topping my eggs with salt and Tabasco. But a few months later he said to go back to as much salt as I wanted. In the meantime I had become used to not salting food at the table and never did. I eat the eggs plain, and I have to say that I love them. They taste wonderful without any additions.

I grew up a city girl. Could you educate me? I recently bought some eggs from a woman I work with who keeps chickens. Should I be treating them differently than the eggs I buy at the market? I know next to nothing about chickens, etc.

RubyCat, unwashed eggs have a protective coating on the shell that keeps the eggs fresh for weeks, months even without refrigeration. Once you wash the shell, it comes off and they have to be refrigerated. You'll never see unwashed eggs in the market; even our farmers' market requires egg producers to wash them before bringing them to the market.

Unwashed can kind of put people off if they are not used to the poop and hay on the shells. When I use them I take them to the sink, wash them under cold running water, often "scrubbing" them gently against each other until they are free of all that. I then put them on a paper towel while I wash my hands with soap and water before I touch them again.

What's really nice is that you can buy one of those old egg holders on ebay or etsy and keep them attractively arranged on your counter like our grandparents or great-grandparents did.

TylerBelle

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 10:50:10 PM »
My favorite is an over-easy egg placed on top of dry toast. I like scrambled and omelettes on occasion. Boiled egg yolk is tasty in dishes, though boiled egg white is icky for me.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Bluenomi

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 12:07:02 AM »
Poached with runny yolk. Mmmmm. It's one thing I hate about being pregnant, I'm not allowed runny eggs. Not that I could actually stomach one at the moment but still, it's unfair

Miss Tickle

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 12:21:15 AM »
Tamago. So yummy. Or runny yolks with hot sauce and toast. Or hardboiled dipped in mayo and spices.

I love eggs. All eggs. Eat them all the time, all sorts of ways. Duck eggs, quail eggs, Easter eggs, fish eggs, eggnog; yummy, yummy eggy-weggs. We have cold hardboiled eggs in the fridge for bento tomorrow. If anyone says eggs around me in the next 24 hours I'll probably giggle.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 12:25:34 AM »
Tamago. So yummy. Or runny yolks with hot sauce and toast. Or hardboiled dipped in mayo and spices.

I love eggs. All eggs. Eat them all the time, all sorts of ways. Duck eggs, quail eggs, Easter eggs, fish eggs, eggnog; yummy, yummy eggy-weggs. We have cold hardboiled eggs in the fridge for bento tomorrow. If anyone says eggs around me in the next 24 hours I'll probably giggle.

I like tamago too... but they are a pain to make for just me....ooooh a fellow bentoer!!!!

Miss Tickle

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 12:34:09 AM »
I'm lucky to have a Daiso near me. They have the cutest bento stuff evar.

SoCalVal

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 12:48:59 AM »

Forgot about fish eggs -- I love masago (and quail eggs, too -- haven't had a quail egg in years, though, since the place I used to get them is in SoCal; they'd put hard-boiled quail eggs in their adobo -- I loved it).  I enjoy caviar, too.  No eggnog, though; I never could stand the stuff (or custard or flan either).