Soft Boiled
7 (6.7%)
Poached
13 (12.4%)
Other
28 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: April 21, 2013, 06:51:35 AM

Author Topic: How do you like your eggs?  (Read 3324 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: How do you like your eggs?
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »
try bacon fat for the lacing

Very hot bacon fat. Which is why it works better than butter . . . butter tends to burn too quickly, but if you don't mind brown butter? Very hot butter works as well.

You also need more than just a (so the eggs don't stick) thin coating of grease  on your pan (maybe? 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch?) It's the grease that hard-fries the edges.* After I cook a batch of bacon, I'll drain most of the grease off and cook the eggs from there.

Once you crack the eggs, give the pan a bit of a swirl to thin out the edges of the eggs.

After about a minute, the edges should be starting to brown. You'll think "The grease is too hot! These eggs are going to burn! The yolk will be hard!"

Relax. ;)

This is where basting comes in . . . Add a splash of water (maybe a tablespoon or 2, depending on the size of your pan) and cover immediately. The water will cause the grease to spit, so be careful. The water under the lid will steam the tops of the eggs. After about 2 minutes the eggs should be done -- all the white cooked through, crispy edges, and a runny yolk.

My timing may not be 100% accurate, depending on the size pan, how many eggs you use, how hot your grease is. But it should give you a starting point.

*Which is why I don't do crispy edged-eggs very often, trying to cut down on greasy food and all that. :-\

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »
Brought some egg custard tarts yesterday.  Mmmmmm.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »
I mostly like them absent.

I do like custard though.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2013, 12:43:18 AM »
My Grandmother made the best fried eggs. It may have been the fat she used or it may have been the iron pan. Whatever, her eggs always had just the right amount of brown crispiness around the edges.  We always called this 'lace'.  Try as I might, I can't duplicate it. 

My Mother made something called 'egg in a frame'.  This was a slice of bread with a hole cut out of the middle.  The bread was fried and an egg broken into the middle.  That dish is one ofthe fond memories of my childhood.

I was suprised by this. I personally do not like any style egg that has any brown on it. I always thought any browning, whether an omelette or fried egg indicated the egg was cooked on too high of heat. I can't eat an omelette that has browning, it tastes completely off to me. So I just did a quick google search and it seems there is two strong opinions... those who cook their fried eggs so they have crispy edges and those who don't want any browning. I've stopped going to restaurants because they served me eggs with crispy edges. I just thought the cooks didn't know how to "cook a proper egg."  I guess I shouldn't have assumed no one wants a crispy edge.

I'm with you: I'm not a fan of the crispy edge.

areya

• Online Shopping India
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2013, 02:44:51 AM »
i love eggs alot

Waterlight

« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2013, 04:10:42 AM »
Scrambled, usually...  or sunny-side up... or in an omelet with veggies and LOTS of cheese.
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson