Author Topic: SO of egg thread....How do you make hard boiled eggs?  (Read 1327 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
SO of egg thread....How do you make hard boiled eggs?
« on: April 14, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »
I found a way to make perfect every time hard boiled eggs.  They never have that greenish color around the edge of the yoke.
I put the eggs in a pot and cover with cold water.  I add some salt to the water.
I bring them to a boil uncovered, and as soon as they come to a full boil move them off of the hot burner and cover them.  I let them sit for 15 minutes like this on the back of the stove, then move the pot to the sink and run cold water over them to cool them and stop the cooking.  Then I refrigerate them.  ( Refrigerating them isn't part of the keeping green away, but is just to keep them safe for eating later).

Any other egg tricks?
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Cuddlepie

Re: SO of egg thread....How do you make hard boiled eggs?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »
An aunt shared this tip with me many years ago.

You can test the 'doneness' of a boiled egg by lifting it from the pot with a slotted spoon.  The faster the shell dries the more the yolk is cooked.  So, if you like your yolk slighter softer rather than totally set, you can judge.  It is very easy after to judge a couple of trial runs.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 09:36:07 PM »
Old eggs are easier to peel, so I leave them at room temperature for 24 hours before boiling them. I am in the US, where our eggs are washed, but have never had a bad egg.

After boiling, I shock them in ice water, then crack them and let them sit for a bit. The shells peel right off. I put them in a Ziplock in the fridge, where they keep for several days, or pickle them in saved pickel juice, where they keep for a couple of weeks.

singingserpent

• I like pie.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 09:40:06 PM »
i cook hard boil eggs every week. In the pot it would always be hit or miss--sometimes great, other times green yolks. And usually a pain to peel. I finally broke down and bought this http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-64802-Microwave-Boiler/dp/B0007M2BN0/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1365989768&sr=1-1&keywords=egg+microwave+cooker, perfect every time and always easy to peel. Plus the giant egg makes me laugh when I use it.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 10:05:02 PM »
I use Alton Brown's method to hard cook in the oven.  Works better than boiling, my smooth cooktop doesn't always heat water as well as I would like.

reflection5

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »
Place eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, add dash of salt (I hear it makes them easier to peel).  Boil 5 - 8 minutes.  Remove pan from burner, pour out hot water.  Run cold water on eggs, put a couple ice cubes in pan, let them sit for at least 10 minutes.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 11:17:40 PM »
I bring the water to a boil. I take a pin and poke a tiny hole in the wider end of the egg (where the air sac is). I use a spoon or carefully with my fingers put them into already boiling water. I boil for 3 minutes then turn off the heat and let them cool at least 10 minutes. Perfect and never underdone or green. To me though underdone is way worse then green - green is edible just ugly but when they are still even the slightest bit under cooked I'm grossed out.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 11:19:57 PM »
I make my eggs the same way you do.  Perfect every time.  If you need to peel all the eggs at the same time, leave them in the pan, add cold water to cover, and shake.  The shells will break right off.

SoCalVal

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 12:59:35 AM »
First, I let the eggs "age" a few weeks so that they won't cling to the shells so much (new eggs are harder to peel).  Secondly, I put them in cold water to about 1-inch above the top and set them to boil (I also add baking soda because the baking soda will make the eggs much easier to peel; I add salt to the water, as well, but am not sure if the salt actually does anything flavor-wise).  Once the water starts a hard boil, I take the eggs off the heat, cover them and let them sit.  The size of the egg determines how long they sit in the hot water (I usually make hard-boiled eggs; otherwise, how cooked I want them would also determine how long they sit in the hot water).  If the eggs are large, they sit in the hot water for 10 minutes.  If they are extra-large, they sit for 12 minutes.  As soon as the time is over, they immediately go into cool or cold water to cease cooking.  This past Easter, for the first time, I put them immediately into an ice bath, rather than what I've typically done, which is cold tap water then change the water a few minutes later when the water warms up.  While the yolks had a creamier texture from doing the ice bath method (because cooking ceased immediately), I think I might try letting the eggs sit another minute in the hot water then put them in the ice bath because I like the yolks to be a little more done for that particular purpose (I was making deviled eggs).

Cooking the eggs in this fashion for this length of time has never resulted in green-tinged (overcooked) or undercooked yolks.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 04:19:31 AM »
I found a way to make perfect every time hard boiled eggs.  They never have that greenish color around the edge of the yoke.
I put the eggs in a pot and cover with cold water.  I add some salt to the water.
I bring them to a boil uncovered, and as soon as they come to a full boil move them off of the hot burner and cover them.  I let them sit for 15 minutes like this on the back of the stove, then move the pot to the sink and run cold water over them to cool them and stop the cooking.  Then I refrigerate them.  ( Refrigerating them isn't part of the keeping green away, but is just to keep them safe for eating later).

Any other egg tricks?
this trick never worked for me - the eggs aren't hard boiled enough for my taste. (it would be fine if we were eating them straight away, but not for eating later on in the week).

I put them in a pot with cold (tap) water and a generous pinch of salt, bring to a boil, let them boil at least 10-15 minutes then immediately pour cold water over.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

DollyPond

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 02:08:34 PM »
My method is to put the eggs into a pot, cover with cold water and put onto the burner on high.  Set a timer for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, pour off the boiling water and rinse several times with cold water.  Fill the pot with cold water and let the eggs sit until cool.  Drain and store in the refrigerator.

These are perfect every time as well.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 02:56:47 PM »
When I make hard-boiled eggs, I wingadingdingy the shells at the top and bottom with a clean push-pin. 

I then put  them into lightly salted boiling water with a large spoon and let them go for about seven minutes.  I've never had any problem peeling the things to make Deviled Eggs. They always come out just fine. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 04:38:35 PM »
When I make hard-boiled eggs, I wingadingdingy the shells at the top and bottom with a clean push-pin. 

I then put  them into lightly salted boiling water with a large spoon and let them go for about seven minutes.  I've never had any problem peeling the things to make Deviled Eggs. They always come out just fine. 

;D

I use a combination technique. ATK recommends bringing cold water with the eggs to a boil, covering and placing off heat for 15 minutes, then draining and shocking in ice water. I let them sit for 17-20 minutes, because we had issues with the yolks not being completely done.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 05:18:25 PM »
I use the Julia Child method.

Place in pot, cover with cold water. Bring just to a boil and then take off heat and cover. Let sit for 12-15 min (Julia says 17 but that's too hard boiled for my preference). Shock in cold water. 

If planning to peel immediately and need them nice looking for something like deviled eggs, I follow her next step which is to bring the water back up to a boil again and place the cooled eggs into the boiling water for just 10-20 seconds more. Cooling the egg causes the egg itself to shrink away from the shell and membrane, and when we give the outer shell that extra blast of heat, it causes it to expand slightly, pulling it as far away from the egg as possible.

The eggs then go back in the ice water to let them cool completely which elliminates the green ring.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 05:29:45 PM »
I have a gizmo that steams up to 6 eggs at a time.  No green rings. 
Also, if I invert top to bottom when I put them in the cooker, the yolk is always in the center.  That is wonderful for deviled eggs. 
I'm not a big ran of specialty gizmoes.  But, with this one I've had a meal of deviled eggs all to myself (evil greedy laugh)  So, this is an exception.  I guess if you use it a lot speciality gizmo can be wonderful.