Author Topic: SO of egg thread....How do you make hard boiled eggs?  (Read 1221 times)

MerryCat

Re: SO of egg thread....How do you make hard boiled eggs?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »
I have a gizmo that steams up to 6 eggs at a time.  No green rings. 
Also, if I invert top to bottom when I put them in the cooker, the yolk is always in the center.  That is wonderful for deviled eggs. 
I'm not a big ran of specialty gizmoes.  But, with this one I've had a meal of deviled eggs all to myself (evil greedy laugh)  So, this is an exception.  I guess if you use it a lot speciality gizmo can be wonderful.

Oooh.. does this gizmo have a name? I love me some perfectly boiled eggs.

For myself, I use the Julia Childs message too. Like Hmm, I only leave them for 12 minutes after taking them off the heat. There's nothing like a freshly boiled egg with bright, perfectly yellow yolks.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 08:57:52 PM »
Add water. Add eggs. Put on stove. Forget them... Then I hear splash over, run the the pot, and pull it off the burner. Wave frantically at the #$*(#$&#* smoke detector to get it to shut up.

Eggs are done. ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

P12663

• I can take dragons. Or give them away. Honest.
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »
I am such a good cook (right!) that I once burned hard-boiled eggs.

And now I find I've been doing it wrong anyways!  Dang nab it! 

Put the eggs in the pan - check.  Add cold water to cover eggs - check.  Put on stove to boil - check.  Stay awake - check.  And here it all goes wrong.  I've been letting them boil for 15 (okay, maybe only 10) minutes.  Nobody told me about 'cover and remove from stove, let sit for 15 minutes'.  Oh, Shock with cold water - check.

Okay, next month I'm doing it right! ;D

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 10:48:12 PM »
I have a gizmo that steams up to 6 eggs at a time.  No green rings. 
Also, if I invert top to bottom when I put them in the cooker, the yolk is always in the center.  That is wonderful for deviled eggs. 
I'm not a big ran of specialty gizmoes.  But, with this one I've had a meal of deviled eggs all to myself (evil greedy laugh)  So, this is an exception.  I guess if you use it a lot speciality gizmo can be wonderful.

Oooh.. does this gizmo have a name? I love me some perfectly boiled eggs.

For myself, I use the Julia Childs message too. Like Hmm, I only leave them for 12 minutes after taking them off the heat. There's nothing like a freshly boiled egg with bright, perfectly yellow yolks.

There are better ones now.  I bought mine when it was a new thing more than a decade ago.  Search for "egg cooker" on any big kitchen website.  The newer ones can also poach eggs.

I would look for one with auto-turnoff.  Mine just buzzes for forever.  The eggs don't overcook because the steam cooks them and when the water is gone they stop cooking.  But, the bottom gets hot.

that_one_girl

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 12:52:08 AM »
My grandmother and I tested the "2-week old" vs "fresh-bought" egg thing this Easter when making deviled eggs.  The older ones really were easier to peel!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 09:12:46 AM »
Add water. Add eggs. Put on stove. Forget them... Then I hear splash over, run the the pot, and pull it off the burner. Wave frantically at the #$*(#$&#* smoke detector to get it to shut up.

Eggs are done. ;D

Ah, so you subscribe to the Samihami school of cooking!

I'm thinking next time I hard cook eggs I'll try doing them in my steamer instead of boiling them.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »
okay now I want deviled eggs!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 06:59:39 PM »
I've heard of the "steaming" method (putting eggs in cold water then bringing to a boil and removing from heat) but I've never tried it.

I've always had success with bringing the water up to a full boil, then gently/slowly putting in the room-temp eggs (I use tongs) and boiling for 13 minutes.

Once done, rinse under very cold water: dump the boiling water, fill the pot with cold water, dump the water, fill the pot with cold water, dump the water, etc. until the eggs are cool to the touch . . . all the while shaking the pan in order to crack the eggs.

Peel immediately.

Even with eggs that I store for later in the week, I'll still peel them and store them in a closed container.