Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 638 times)

alkira6

Chicken Tikka Masala
« on: April 14, 2013, 08:37:43 PM »
Okay, I just made the most delicious Indian-ish meal ever. I marinated chicken breast slices in Tikka spices and vinegar for 5 hours and grilled them. We had this along with garlic rice, grilled asparagus, and onion and spinach pakora.

My request: I want a recipe for Masala sauce (if that's how you put it). I want to use the leftover Tikka chicken to make Tikka Masala. The recipes that I have found online seem a bit iffy, so if someone knows a "ried and true" recipe I'd love to have it.

Amara

Re: Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »
I got this from an excellent cookbook Flavors First by Vikas Khanna:

2 tablespoons butter or ghee
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 fresh green chili pepper (such as serrano), chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 green cardomon pods, lightly crushed
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons curry powder (he has his own recipe elsewhere in the book)
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons dried fenugreek leaves
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup water
1 cup tomato puree
1 cup heavy cream
Sweetened coconut flakes for garnish (optional)
Salt
Basmati rice for serving

Melt the butter or ghee in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion until well cooked, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the green chili and garlic and cook until well caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add the cardomon, cumin, curry powder, paprika, and fenugreek leaves, and cook, stirring well, until the mixture is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Deglaze the pan with the water then stir in the tomato puree. Bring to a boil over high heat, the remove sauce from the heat. Let cool slightly.

Cook chicken. (He has instructions for the chicken here.)

Puree the sauce in a blender until smooth. Return the sauce to the skillet over medium heat and add the cream, stirring well. Add the chicken. Simmer over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste and transfer to serving dish and garnish; add yogurt and rice to side.