Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Budget Meals

(1/6) > >>

Nikko-chan:
Hello my fellow Ehellion cooks! I... am about to do something incredibly insane. And I need your help :D I am going to be on a very limited budget for meals-- $50 a week. But I don't want my food to be boring, and I figure if I make casseroles and such I can get away with having one meal for a few days, etc.

The rules:

Anything I have here in bulk (the ground beef we get every year) is a free item, because i dont have to buy it.)
Anything I have here in general (the spices, etc. because those are "communal" meaning both my mom and I use them) are free. This also Includes a lot of the canned goods we have here because apparently buying a BUNCH of canned goods and not using them is common for us.

So uh.... anyone got any tasty yet cheap recipes they'd be willing to part with?

(I've already got an idea in my head for black bean enchilada's with homemade taco seasoning >.<)

Maggie:
Taco soup isn't particularly cheap but if you already have hamburger and taco seasoning then it wouldn't be that expensive.  If you want the recipe I'd be more than happy to type it up for you tomorrow.  I'm getting ready for work now. 

Nikko-chan:

--- Quote from: Maggie on April 14, 2013, 08:59:15 PM ---Taco soup isn't particularly cheap but if you already have hamburger and taco seasoning then it wouldn't be that expensive.  If you want the recipe I'd be more than happy to type it up for you tomorrow.  I'm getting ready for work now.

--- End quote ---

It sounds lovely!

Maggie:
Taco Soup

1-2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped (I use the food processor)

Cook these two together until browned.

Add:

1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can navy beans (or any kind of bean you like)
1 can corn
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 can rotel
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 package taco seasoning (the homemade you have would be wonderful)
2 cups water or broth

Add the dry ranch dressing mix and the taco seasoning and stir.
Add all the cans.  You don't have to drain them.  Add the two cups water and let cook about 20 minutes.  Or you can put it all in a crockpot after the beef and onions are cooked and let it cook on low as long as you want.  This is a good dish when people will be eating at different times. 

It wasn't as late as I thought it was :)

Oh Joy:
Any major likes or dislikes, or dietary preferences (lower fat, higher protein, etc.) and such?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version