Author Topic: Facebook - Friend Requests from People I don't Know  (Read 3738 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Facebook - Friend Requests from People I don't Know
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »
I've gotten some strange ones too.  Usually friends of friends who seem to want to collect as many as they can. I usually delete them, with a couple of exceptions. I have an acquaintance from my HS days; she was very good friends with some of my close friends, but I only knew her to hang out with the whole group. Her partner friended me, and I accepted, even though weíve never met.

Another however, I deleted. It was from a 14 year old boy, and initially he had no friends but I figured he HAD to be friends with someone I knew. I was curious, so I left it and checked after some time had gone by. Sure enough he was friends with some of mine, but as he lived in another state, and I had no clue what his relationship to my friends actually is Ė family, friend or whatnot, and his age, I wasnít at all comfortable accepting his request so I deleted it.

I have also gotten some from people in HS maybe I didnít know all that well back then, but I accepted. The only one I didnít I suspect was maybe sent in error since even though we went to school from grades 7-12 I donít know that I ever spoke a single word to him.

katycoo

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »
It might not be exactly rude, but it can feel odd to get a request from a total stranger.

What I find very irritating are friend requests from people who may not be complete strangers (maybe we knew each other many years ago, or went to the same school) who assume I'm supposed to know who they are. I got one request from someone who went to my high school, but we didn't know each other, didn't have mutual friends, and I don't think we ever exchanged a single word. Maybe she's a very nice person, but I don't see the point in connecting with her.

Another request turned out to be someone I had known, but she didn't exactly go out of her way to make that clear to me. She's married, and goes by a name I never knew her by. She has no profile picture, and very little information available on her page if you are not already friends with her. And she sent no message saying "Hi, it's So and so, remember we were in Whatchamacallit club in high school together." I have no idea if she was being ditzy, or just assumed she's so important that I'd know who she was? I was able to figure out who she was based on her friends list and her occupation, but felt rather irked at having to do so. (OK, I didn't have to, but it was going to drive me nuts until I figured out!) So I did find this request somewhat rude.

Messages from non-friends go to your 'other' folder and you get no notification.  I don't know anyone who checks it regularly.

You could always message them?

CakeEater

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 05:44:03 AM »
It's not rude to send or decline them, I don't think.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 08:34:49 PM »

Part of the issue is that different people use Facebook in vastly different ways, and there simply isn't a 'standard' usage that you can go by.

Some people only friend close friends and family. Some use it for only people of the same generation (no parents and aunts). Some people use it in a quasi-business way, or for publicity. Some people use it for gaming - they'll have tons of people they play with that they have no other connection with.  Some people friend friends-of-friends and friends-of-friends-of-friends, for a huge friend circle.

The only thing to do is to set your privacy settings to friends only to control who sees your posts, and ignore or decline requests from people you don't know, or don't want to be friends with.