Author Topic: Bowing out of an interview gracefully  (Read 1630 times)

SPuck

Bowing out of an interview gracefully
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »
I applied for X position on Craigslist, accepted an interview, and further study of the website revealed it had to deal with debt collection. I don't really want that particular business attached to my work history. I know it's legitimate line of work, but it's also a business associated with scams and harassment, and I'm learning more towards not wanting it in my work history. Any suggestions for bowing out gracefully?

AvidReader

Re: Bowing out of an interview gracefully
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:33:57 AM »
If this were my situation, I would call and speak with the person who scheduled the interview and after the preliminary greetings say something on the order of, "I am calling to withdraw my candidacy for this position and to cancel my interview.  I don't think I would be a good fit with this company/your organization.  Thank you for considering me, and I wish you good luck with your recruitment."  IMHO, you don't need to provide any further explanation.  They probably will thank you for letting them know ahead of time rather than just not showing up for the interview.  They don't want to waste their time any more than you want to waste yours.   Practice it a few times before you call and work towards an even professional tone.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 11:36:15 AM »
You can gracefully back out of a scheduled interview.   

Make it clear that you do not feel that the job and you are a good fit.  Also, make it clear that you do not want to waste the time of the interviewer. 

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 11:42:41 AM »
POD to calling the person who arranged the interview and simply stating that you wished to withdraw your candidacy because you don't feel you'd be a good fit for the company.

SPuck

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I contacted the business I canceled the interview.