Forum Administration > Forum Announcements

If we "report to moderator" a post, does it automatically lock the thread?

(1/3) > >>

TootsNYC:
I ran across a post that had language or a message/tone I thought was detrimental to the tone of the forum. I wanted to give that feedback to the mods, and create an opportunity for one of them to weigh in if indeed my reaction was in line with the official one.

So I clicked "report to moderator" and made my point.

I didn't think it was a huge violation or anything--just something sort of small that might (or might not) be corrected or commented on by one of the mods.

Then I immediately thought that *I* could say, "I don't really like when people do this; it feels rude/overly critical/unpleasant. I wish you hadn't, and I want to say to the OP, I don't agree w/ this language."

So I went to find the thread in the index, and it was locked. It was SO fast, I wondered if it was automatic. Or did it just happen that a mod was there and reacted quickly?

And as an aside, was my instinct to discuss that reaction *in the thread* good or bad? I really didn't want to make it personal, but just to say, "oh, let's not get this harsh!" to the group in general. Partly because I wanted an opportunity to influence more than just one person, and partly because I felt that a PM would feel more like an attack and less like a helpful aside.

MayHug:
I can't answer about addressing the actions in the thread, but I have reported and the thread has not been locked.
There was possibly a monitor handy when you clicked it or there had been other complaints as well.

guihong:
I think it was just coincidence that a mod was online and apparently thought the thread would go downhill, hence locking it.

I know many posters write "This is getting off track" or "I feel that language was harsh", things like that, and it works.  It's not "good" or "bad" to do it that way, and you're right, sometimes you can influence others and it feels less "singled out" than a PM.  For me, it depends on how downhill the thread has gone, or if I'm feeling confident I can say something without making it worse.  You (Toots) seem much more confident than I am.  Most of the time, I let a mod step in if they choose as they can say things better.

TootsNYC:

--- Quote from: guihong on April 16, 2013, 11:55:19 AM ---I think it was just coincidence that a mod was online and apparently thought the thread would go downhill, hence locking it.

--- End quote ---

I guess so. Partly it's just that it was so fast, but it also didn't really seem to be going downhill. I sort of feel bad, because I didn't really think it was something that would or should get locked. But of course mods have their own info and their own reasons.

--- Quote ---
I know many posters write "This is getting off track" or "I feel that language was harsh", things like that, and it works.  It's not "good" or "bad" to do it that way, and you're right, sometimes you can influence others and it feels less "singled out" than a PM.  For me, it depends on how downhill the thread has gone, or if I'm feeling confident I can say something without making it worse.  You (Toots) seem much more confident than I am.  Most of the time, I let a mod step in if they choose as they can say things better.

--- End quote ---

I often leave stuff to the mods--especially if it's truly bad.
Because then it's drama, and I don't want to be part of that. I like a peaceful, collegial forum.

This one, I don't know, just felt like the kind of thing I could successfully say, "hey, let's not be so harsh--there are real people on the other end of the computer connection," in a collegial way.

lowspark:

--- Quote from: MayHug on April 16, 2013, 11:33:28 AM ---I can't answer about addressing the actions in the thread, but I have reported and the thread has not been locked.
There was possibly a monitor handy when you clicked it or there had been other complaints as well.

--- End quote ---

That's what I thought. Chances are that you were not the first one to report it so it might have already been reported and investigated before you even read it, and then was in the process of getting locked as you were reporting it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version