Author Topic: If we "report to moderator" a post, does it automatically lock the thread?  (Read 1697 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
I ran across a post that had language or a message/tone I thought was detrimental to the tone of the forum. I wanted to give that feedback to the mods, and create an opportunity for one of them to weigh in if indeed my reaction was in line with the official one.

So I clicked "report to moderator" and made my point.

I didn't think it was a huge violation or anything--just something sort of small that might (or might not) be corrected or commented on by one of the mods.

Then I immediately thought that *I* could say, "I don't really like when people do this; it feels rude/overly critical/unpleasant. I wish you hadn't, and I want to say to the OP, I don't agree w/ this language."

So I went to find the thread in the index, and it was locked. It was SO fast, I wondered if it was automatic. Or did it just happen that a mod was there and reacted quickly?

And as an aside, was my instinct to discuss that reaction *in the thread* good or bad? I really didn't want to make it personal, but just to say, "oh, let's not get this harsh!" to the group in general. Partly because I wanted an opportunity to influence more than just one person, and partly because I felt that a PM would feel more like an attack and less like a helpful aside.

MayHug

I can't answer about addressing the actions in the thread, but I have reported and the thread has not been locked.
There was possibly a monitor handy when you clicked it or there had been other complaints as well.

guihong

• Super Hero!
I think it was just coincidence that a mod was online and apparently thought the thread would go downhill, hence locking it.

I know many posters write "This is getting off track" or "I feel that language was harsh", things like that, and it works.  It's not "good" or "bad" to do it that way, and you're right, sometimes you can influence others and it feels less "singled out" than a PM.  For me, it depends on how downhill the thread has gone, or if I'm feeling confident I can say something without making it worse.  You (Toots) seem much more confident than I am.  Most of the time, I let a mod step in if they choose as they can say things better.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
I think it was just coincidence that a mod was online and apparently thought the thread would go downhill, hence locking it.

I guess so. Partly it's just that it was so fast, but it also didn't really seem to be going downhill. I sort of feel bad, because I didn't really think it was something that would or should get locked. But of course mods have their own info and their own reasons.

I know many posters write "This is getting off track" or "I feel that language was harsh", things like that, and it works.  It's not "good" or "bad" to do it that way, and you're right, sometimes you can influence others and it feels less "singled out" than a PM.  For me, it depends on how downhill the thread has gone, or if I'm feeling confident I can say something without making it worse.  You (Toots) seem much more confident than I am.  Most of the time, I let a mod step in if they choose as they can say things better.

I often leave stuff to the mods--especially if it's truly bad.
Because then it's drama, and I don't want to be part of that. I like a peaceful, collegial forum.

This one, I don't know, just felt like the kind of thing I could successfully say, "hey, let's not be so harsh--there are real people on the other end of the computer connection," in a collegial way.

lowspark

I can't answer about addressing the actions in the thread, but I have reported and the thread has not been locked.
There was possibly a monitor handy when you clicked it or there had been other complaints as well.

That's what I thought. Chances are that you were not the first one to report it so it might have already been reported and investigated before you even read it, and then was in the process of getting locked as you were reporting it.

thedudeabides

No, reporting does not automatically lock threads. That would shut down an entire forum in short order if the software were set up that way. Plus, correlation does not imply causation.

Betelnut

Several of the threads that were locked today were more Dear Abby than Dear Miss Manners--I suspect that is why they were locked.  I think it was a coincidence that you reported and it was locked so fast.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
I suspect the "report to moderator" function is used in vastly varying ways.  I rarely report to moderator, unless someone is actively attacking or clearly seeking an argument after being asked to converse politely.  Others report to moderator simply because they disagree with another poster's opinion, and not because that opinion was rudely expressed or any forum rule was violated.  I often wonder whether I should report more often.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
I am wondering how you would know what other posters do?

I would imagine no report made just because you disagree with someone would be taken seriously.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!

I would imagine no report made just because you disagree with someone would be taken seriously.

Oh, I am referring to posters who will state in the forum that they are reporting someone.  I doubt these reports are taken seriously, but I know that some posters report people all the time for alleged violations many of us just scroll on past or don't see as "reportable" behavior.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!

Oh, I am referring to posters who will state in the forum that they are reporting someone.  I doubt these reports are taken seriously, but I know that some posters report people all the time for alleged violations many of us just scroll on past or don't see as "reportable" behavior.

I can honestly say I've never seen one of those posts, unless it was in an obvious Spam thread. Guess I'll have to keep a closer eye out.
Utah

mmswm

I moderate on another forum.  There are times when I'm up to my eyeballs in alligators and it's just easier to lock a thread until I have enough time to properly address it, or another mod comes online and has time to deal with it.  Other times I just happen to refresh the second a report comes through so I can deal with it immediately.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

cass2591

• Global Moderator
No, simply reporting a thread does not lead to an automatic lock.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Luci

• Super Hero!
I rarely report, but it is usually just about one post and I have later noticed that post was deleted, or not. It's not automatic. I think it just depends on the mod who happens to read it. (About one post in particular, I often wonder if the member was reprimanded along with the quiet disappearance act.) One thread was locked or disappeared, but I often think that it was complained about by many, not just mine.

I do sometimes wonder if I should PM someone that a I have a problem, or if I should just quote and answer in the forum, or report to moderators. I've made some errors in judgment, but am usually happy with my decision and the actions of those wiser than I.

A big THANK YOU to the other eHellions and the moderators who have understood what I have tried to do!

And a big CHEER for the mods and members who keep this forum polite and clean.