Author Topic: Asking Coworkers to Leave Me Alone (Politely)  (Read 3568 times)

AreaWoman

Asking Coworkers to Leave Me Alone (Politely)
« on: April 16, 2013, 04:58:43 PM »
That title was harsher than I intended...

Let me start by saying that I have really and truly lovely coworkers.  I am also in the latter stages of my first pregnancy at a slightly advanced age and am having a number of issues.  Because folks can see me hobbling down the hall (mostly to get water, because I'm so darn thirsty!), I get a cascade of "are you alright, are you okay, need anything," etc.  Because I get up about once an hour, I'm really tired of it.  I also need to walk around to help with some of my issues.  Frankly, I'm trying not to think about my issues and would really prefer if folks just left me alone.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

As an aside, I was also the OP on the refusing the baby shower thread -- it sorted itself out well, as a coworker who is also pregnant had a baby shower and folks were pleased with that.  Word got around through a trusted coworker that baby showers are "not my thing," which everyone understood.

Seiryuu

Re: Asking Coworkers to Leave Me Alone (Politely)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »
Have you tried something along the lines of "I appreciate your concern but I can take care of myself. If I need help I'll ask?"

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 05:41:58 PM »
First I have to say I sympathise. I delayed telling anyone at work about my first pregnancy for that sort of reason. In fact I delayed so long people started to ask if I was.

I also sympathise because I know it gets worse as you get more pregnant. I just had my second kid so I can vividly remember this.

So I suggest a two fold approach. Acceptance and minimization. First just realize that no matter what you di or say or look like some people will comment. It might not be polite or wanted but it will happen.
The other is decrease concern by rarely mentioning your pregnancy and when you do keep it very superficial and positive and then changing the subject.
" it's all going well. I'm bit tired but that's normal. How was your weekend?"
Or
" doctor says it's all good. Let's look over these reports"

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 05:54:46 PM »
I second with "accept and redirect." 

If you are actually up and moving at the time of this approach, I recommend the perky voice - don't stop moving, just chirp something like, "Doctor's orders, gotta walk around!"  or "Hydrating, thanks!"

www.ellenseltz.com

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »
Smack your forehead, and say, "Holy Toledo, do you know how many times people ask me this? I'm just pregnant, I'm not going to die this very moment!"

No, maybe not.

But I think I would start saying the very same thing in a slightly less dramatic way.
"I know you're trying to be nice, but since everybody does it, all the time, it's actually really unpleasant for me. Please stop."

And use that trusted coworker to help get word around about THIS! She did such a nice job with the earlier project, I'm sure she'd do a good job with this.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 09:49:34 PM »
That title was harsher than I intended...

Let me start by saying that I have really and truly lovely coworkers.  I am also in the latter stages of my first pregnancy at a slightly advanced age and am having a number of issues.  Because folks can see me hobbling down the hall (mostly to get water, because I'm so darn thirsty!), I get a cascade of "are you alright, are you okay, need anything," etc.  Because I get up about once an hour, I'm really tired of it.  I also need to walk around to help with some of my issues.  Frankly, I'm trying not to think about my issues and would really prefer if folks just left me alone.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

As an aside, I was also the OP on the refusing the baby shower thread -- it sorted itself out well, as a coworker who is also pregnant had a baby shower and folks were pleased with that.  Word got around through a trusted coworker that baby showers are "not my thing," which everyone understood.

Is it practical for you to keep a bottle of water at your desk?

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 10:03:03 PM »
I would think she'd need to get up to get rid of that water as well. ;) Even if she kept a bottle at her desk.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 10:55:27 PM »
I think people need to get up at least once an hour regardless. Prolonged sitting is really bad for your back.

Sorry, that doesn't really address the question. How about, "I know you mean well, but please....I am just fine, and all this concern really just adds to my stress. I promise you I will let you know if I need help."

Bluenomi

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 11:15:17 PM »
Alas it is always going to happen when you are pregnant and have decent coworkers. I know I spend months with people concerned about me because they are just kind people who were concerned and worried even if there wasn't anything to worry about.

I just cheerily declined assistance when I didn't need it but accepted when I did and figured it was part and parcel of being pregnant in the workplace. It did ease off a bit when it became clear I asked for help when needed so they worked out if I said I was ok I actually was

GreenBird

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 12:26:46 AM »
I like the idea of saying, "Actually, I just need to walk around a little every hour".  Hopefully people will figure out that walking around is going to be a regular occurrence and they don't need to be alarmed.  As I type that it sounds a little silly - of course walking around is normal!  But maybe if people understand that walking around every hour is your goal, they won't feel so obligated to jump up to ask if they can get something for you. 

Another thing to try would be to offer to help them because you're up, maybe saying "I'm refilling my water - do you want anything?"  That might help them understand that you're up because you want to be and not because there's a problem.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:31:17 AM by GreenBird »

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 12:52:16 AM »
A perky "fine, thanks" is all you need. It is too exhausting to go into explanations.

And be grateful in your heart that people care and will be there if you really do need them. Please remember how you feel now so that when you are with others in similar situations that you can be quick with offering help and gracious with a fast rejection.

I've been in all three situations. People are good. Just be polite. (Looking like I need help, really needing help, and offering help are the three situations.)

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 03:26:27 AM »
"Oh please don't fuss over me.  I'm fine!  Actually, I'd appreciate it if you all would not bring so much attention to me every time I get up.  I know you do it because you care, but it makes me feel a bit self-conscious.  If I really need help, I know I can depend on you all!"

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »
First of all remember they are just caring about you. This is all good.

But, You just need to train them.
"I am doing well!  Don't mind me walking around, I find it helps with all the aches and pains.  If I need any help I will let you know! You all are so sweet."

Then make a sign for your desk that says;

OP FAQ:
Due Date:  May 14
Boy or Girl?  Don't know yet/Boy/Girl
Names? Fred and Wilma
:-)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 10:14:05 AM »
I had my DD at a more mature age also and my co workers were well meaning but they.drove.me.nuts !  And the later stages of pregnancy was the worst because you are already irritated but remember, they do mean well.  As a previous poster said, I also waited till it was starting becoming obvious, especially because there was only 8 of us at the time and I was doing some dietary changes that were not usual for me.  I just told them if I needed anything, I would ask and that my Dr. told me to keep doing everything I could until I couldn't.  In my case, I think they were just scared I would have the baby right there because with my first DD, it was 45 minutes between what felt like indigestion to her actual birth!  Good luck and hang in there because when I came back to work, all that concern went away  ::)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 02:50:01 PM »
Just taking Junior for a walk/drink!  Thanks.