General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Justin Bieber with regards to Anne Frank

<< < (2/11) > >>

DottyG:
Wow.  More proof of how thoughtless and conceited he is.  He should be ashamed for doing something like that (although, I suspect he's not).

Jones:
Probably not how he meant it, and upon reflection he probably just meant that he wished she could have been the (seemingly) low-stress, pop-culture fan that so many girls her age are today instead of the fugitive she was, but I think to a lot of people his remarks came off as:

"Hey, this girl was cool and all, and I'ma let the tour finish, but hopefully she'd have been my fan 'cause I'm the greatest boy wonder of all time."

katycoo:

--- Quote from: Judah on April 16, 2013, 05:45:27 PM ---I don't understand what the flap is about.  Apparently, Anne Frank was a fan of the pop culture of her time. She even had posters of movie stars on her walls. If Bieber had been around then, she may very well have been a fan. All he did was express the thought that she might have been a fan. Why is that so awful?

--- End quote ---

Because even in a place as amazingly awful as the house Anne Frank took refuge in, he was thinking about himself.

Kaypeep:

--- Quote from: Hillia on April 16, 2013, 05:54:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: Judah on April 16, 2013, 05:45:27 PM ---I don't understand what the flap is about.  Apparently, Anne Frank was a fan of the pop culture of her time. She even had posters of movie stars on her walls. If Bieber had been around then, she may very well have been a fan. All he did was express the thought that she might have been a fan. Why is that so awful?

--- End quote ---

Because the Anne Frank house is not about how supercoolamazinglyhot Justin Bieber is, or thinks he is.  Can he not just leave the comments at 'She was an amazing person' without dragging his ego into it?

--- End quote ---

I can't believe I'm defending Justin Beiber, but I agree that it was not that big of a deal. I've never been to the Anne Frank annex but I was watching an episode of "Gene Simmon's Family Jewels" where he and his wife went.  They were both very reverent throughout the visit, but were surprised to see the pictures on the walls of the Hollywood Celebrities.  His wife commented with something along the lines of how it was nice to know they still enjoyed their 'stargazing' while in hiding, and that as a celebrity it touched her and reminded her that they bring joy to people who are in bad situations, so it's nice if their work or pictures or whatever made someone's day a bit brighter.  Now I'm not a huge fan of Kiss or Playboy models either, but I got her point and I thought was very touching. I suspect Beiber meant something similar, only he wasn't as gracious about it.

Iris:
I rather like Simon Pegg's take on it;

"What is wrong with Bieber?! When I was 19, absolutely everything I said was thoughtful considered and intelligent. Like all of us, right?"

I would hate to be judged by the things I did, said and wrote when I was 19. Adult me thinks that 19 year old me was a self obsessed immature brat with all the social graces of a rock and I like to think I've turned out okay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version