Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Re: Quiche . . . I've never made one. Help? Hints? Recipes? OP#11, Sucess#13!

(1/3) > >>

jpcher:
Reading the "How do you like your eggs" thread in the Coffee Break topic reminded me of my love for quiche, which I've only had on rare occasions.

My work cafeteria used to serve a spinach/cheese/bacon quiche with a lemon sauce/gravy which was wonderful.

I'll be completely honest with you, I always thought that a quiche was your simple scrambled eggs/omelet recipe (mixing up eggs, milk & ingredients) and pouring it into a pie crust then baking.

Apparently I'm wrong. I've been googling quiche recipes.

1. Some recipes call for flour, others don't. Does it depend on the ingredients used whether you use flour or not?

2. Some recipes say to layer the ingredients on the crust then add the egg mixture on top.

3. Pie crust . . . I'll probably use a store bought prepared/pre-panned pie crust. Is one brand better than another for quiche? Do you need to pre-bake the crust?

4. Do you normally serve some sort of sauce over a quiche?

As you can see, I'm a complete novice at this dish.

Any help, hints, recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Outdoor Girl:
This is my Mom's recipe.  I think she got it from a Milk Calendar, originally.

1 9" or deep pie plate lined with unbaked pastry.  My favourite is Tenderflake but that might be a Canadian product.  It is made with lard and only has a few ingredients.  I buy vegetable based tart shells because there are a couple of vegetarians at work and the ingredient list is really long with a bunch of chemicals!

1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp butter
8 bacon slices, diced
1 pkg cream cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup broccoli, chopped and cooked
1/2 cup bread crumbs, about 1 slice if you are making your own
4 tomatoes, sliced

Saute onions, mushrooms and seasonings in butter.  Fry bacon until crisp; drain and crumble.  Cream together cheeses; blend in milk.  Add beaten eggs.  Fold in broccoli, bacon, bread crumbs, onions and mushrooms.  Pour into pastry shell.  Arrange tomato slices around the outer edge.  Bake at 425 F for 10 minutes.  Lower temperature to 350 F and bake 25 minutes longer.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

MummySweet:
For years I felt quiche was far too much work for the the final product.  Then my friend gave me a recipe for a quick and easy quiche.   Now I make it frequently, changing up the fillings.

One unbaked pie crust (I use pillsbury refrigerated)
3 cups solid filling (e.g., cheeses, veg, bacon, etc.; certain veg will need to be sauteed or blanched to soften)
3 eggs
12 oz half and half  (I substitute evaporated milk for lower fat, it doesn't raise as high, but tastes the same)
fresh ground nutmeg to taste

Unroll  and press crust into quiche pan or pie plate.   Fill with solid fillings.  Wisk together eggs, half&half and nutmeg.  Pour over filling.  Bake at 375F for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and middle appears to have mostly risen.

*  My favorite filling combo is sauteed asparagus, chopped red pepper and asiago cheese.    My kids love swiss cheese, bacon and french  fried onions (1 cup each).  It's sort of a faux quiche lorraine.

sammycat:
This is a quick and easy one I use that basically makes its own 'crust' and only uses one bowl for preparation.

4 eggs
1 1/2 Cups Milk
1/2 Cup self raising flour
1 tomato, chopped,
300gm bacon or ham, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
300-400gm grated cheese.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Optional extras such as corn, grated zucchini etc.

Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well to all combined.

Pour into a greased quiche/pie dish.

Cook 25-35 minutes at 200C

amylouky:
I love making quiche! I use Marie Callender's pie crusts, just think they taste better.
I usually cook some onion (finely chopped, maybe 1/4 cup?) and garlic (about a teaspoon) in a little bit of butter, until the onions are transparent.
I bake the pie crust first, but not all the way.. just for a few minutes. Then I add in a cup of diced ham and enough shredded cheddar to fill the pie crust about 3/4 full.
For the egg mixture, I mix four eggs with 1/2 cup of milk or half and half, then stir in the onion/garlic, and a teaspoon or so of white pepper, and pour it over the ham/cheese.
I bake it at whatever temperature the pie crust recommends, until the top is browned and it's not jiggly.

Sorry so imprecise.. I tend to not go by recipes a lot, just whatever looks/smells/feels right.  :D

Edited to add: Forgot my favorite side. I get the honey bran muffin mix (Martha White?) and add in some dried cranberries. Goes very well with quiche!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version