Author Topic: United Airlines  (Read 2527 times)

katiescarlett

United Airlines
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:10:46 PM »
Anybody ever flown United?  I will be flying to Denver on May 2, and I booked my flight with them.  I think I flew United in 1998, but it has been so long, and that was before 9/11, that I don't remember much about it.  I flew Frontier to Denver last year, and it was a fantastic flight.  I will be flying out of OKC (Will Rogers) so it will only be about an hour and a half flight. 

Hopefully no bad stories!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: United Airlines
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:12:24 PM »
Well, they did a good job getting me from Denver to the East Coast for work on Sunday, and I don't expect any problems on the way back. :-) If you can spare the $, however, it is worth upgrading to Economy Plus for the extra bit of space.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »
I've flown United a bunch of times. I can remember nothing special (good or bad) about them - they are pretty generic in my experience... which I guess is a good thing, at least a bit.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 11:41:04 PM »
I hate them.  For some reason I once had to take a flight with them from somewhere in the U.S. to Frankfurt.  I am 5'6", but I am all torso and my legs are the size of someone 5'2" (medical problem)  Even I had my knees on the seat in front of me.  When they handed out drinks people had nowhere to put them because they couldn't use the tray. 

Check out untied.com which I found by accident one day.   

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 11:55:39 PM »
Unless you have an aversion (for whatever reason) to a particular airline, I would go with whatever company is most convenient in terms of price and compatible take off/arrival times. Go to one of the online sites like Orbitz or Expedia or Travelocity, just to mention a few, for options.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 11:58:52 PM »
I had a bad experience with them (they offered me the choice of being stranded in Nashville or being stranded in Chicago) - but honestly, that was probably random chance.  I've had not-so-stellar experiences with other airlines since then as well.

When I've flown with them they seem to have smaller and older planes with less leg room than I'm used to, but that may also be the routes I'm flying - most airlines save their bigger, newer planes for the more lucrative flights and shunt their old planes off to the side routes.

mmswm

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 12:09:35 AM »
I've never had any problems with United.  People complain about them all the time, but the worst I've ever experienced is "unremarkable".  They were wonderful to me when I had to deal with a medical emergency in the airport.  My son got stuck with a hypodermic needle that had been planted under the toilet seat in the bathroom, so of course there was a mob of police and medical personnel and the required ambulance ride to the hospital.  Naturally we did not make our flight that day.  United bent over backwards to make sure I got new flights booked as soon as we knew when the child was going to be released, and made sure the rebooking process was as stress-free as possible. The only times I've experienced serious delays with them were for things entirely out of their control, such as weather.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 04:24:39 AM »
I've flown internationally with them - they were great. on time, staff was pleasant helpful and efficient, seats were a tad roomier than the shorter flights i took with brussels airlines, each seat had a personal entertainment center, etc.  But, i have no idea how they are on domestic flights.

And as a PP said - you can go with a great airline and have a bad flight, and vice versa.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TomatoBunny

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 06:02:45 AM »
Heh, the first thing that came to mind is Dave Carroll's song from a couple years ago, 'United Breaks Guitars'. It feels weird to say that I enjoy the song and even think it's a bit amusing, given the content is all true.  :-\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breaks_Guitars

I have no personal experience with United, so I don't really have anything really useful to add.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 09:19:35 AM »
Logged a ton of miles on Continental which merged with United. I don't fly as much but still use United most frequently. I flew to and from OKC last week. Standard flight. We were on one of the small jets (one seat on one side, two seats on the other side) on our return flight. I like these small planes because they gate check bags and fewer passengers to board so goes quicker. But I know some people are bothered by the small size.

OKC airport is nice and small and doesn't take much time to get through.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 09:49:04 AM »
They've lost my luggage a couple of times, but always returned it promptly. They're a "par for the course" airline.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

andi

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »
If you can upgrade to "business" - the extra leg room is worth the price difference IMO(I was flying with my then 1 year old.  They were ok - nothing out of the ordinary one way or the other 

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 11:36:31 AM »
I fly United all the time and was surprised to see that they were ranked pretty low in some airline report I saw the other day.  I am generally on domestic flights.  We have a United hub at our airport, so maybe that makes a difference?  idk.  Anyway - I've never had a bad experience with them and will usually pick them over other airlines if given the choice.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Cami

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 11:42:44 AM »
They were ranked the lowest for customer satisfaction for 2012.

However, I would say that I'd much rather fly with the United crews than the Delta crews. I have been astonished and agog at some of the horrible, rude, nasty, threatening behavior I've witnessed with Delta crews, especially flying between Chicago and NY or Detroit and NY. 

The last time, I was actually surprised there wasn't a passenger uprising against one particular FA who was threatening to have a guy kicked off the plane for asking a simple question about our flight delay. She went crazy on him and only backed down when several other passengers stood up and told her that she'd have to kick us all off.  I really wish my cell phone had a video function, because I would have liked to have a video of that to send to Delta. If I hadn't seen and heard it myself, I wouldn't believe it.  But shat woman had serious anger management problems and should not be in the position of a FA.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »
I used to fly with United most of the time until I got tired of my luggage getting lost on almost every vacation. I've never had this problem with any other airline, so I just don't use United anymore.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver