Author Topic: United Airlines  (Read 2525 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: United Airlines
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 02:05:05 PM »
Just like any business, you mostly hear the bad things and worry about it happening to you.  But I've never had a problem.  They are nothing spectacular, but nothing horrible either.  Just average experiences in my case.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 09:36:50 PM »
I fly United often.  Never had a bad experience, never had a rude encounter with an employee, never had lost luggage. *knock on wood*  :)

The one time we did have a "bad" experience, they "made it right."  We were stuck on the tarmac for a couple of hours.  (lightening)    To make the time pass, the pilot invited all the children (one at a time) to the cockpit so the parents could take pictures of them in the pilot's seat.  The kids loved it!  And he gave each of us his business card and encouraged us to send the pictures to his email. He was super sweet!  Grandfatherly type.

The pilot gave us an email so we could let United know that we were stuck and he said that they would make it up to us.  I honestly hadn't planned to email, it wasn't that big a deal for us.  We waited in comfort, the flight attendants brought many snacks and my kid got a huge thrill from sitting in the pilot's seat and pushing buttons.  LOL.  But I figured, my teen might get a United tshirt so I emailed.  Turns out, they gave me a $700 credit for future flights.  So we flew to Universal almost for free. 

The airline is nothing special if that's what you are looking for, but as far as customer service, I, personally, have never had a bad experience with them.  *knock on wood, again*  ;) 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »
I used to fly with United most of the time until I got tired of my luggage getting lost on almost every vacation. I've never had this problem with any other airline, so I just don't use United anymore.

I don't think they've ever lost my luggage. Of course, nobody has, in well over a decade.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 01:12:41 AM »
I think many have complaints about any airline.   I have never had a prob with any airline.  I wouldnt single out UA.  I find the problems some have is from travel inexperience or way too high expectations for today's airlines. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »
I should point out that when they *did* lose (or to be precise) delay my luggage, they sent it out to my final destination over 100 miles from the airport, quite quickly. It really wasn't their fault it was delayed - I was making a connection, and (of course) the first leg was delayed, while the second was on time. There wasn't time to get the bag to the second airplane. Their staff has always been quite friendly and does their best to help.

However, you might not want to send your guitar by them:  ;)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breaks_Guitars.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »
They put someone else's name on my luggage.  Someone going to a completely different destination.  It took forever to get back to me because the baggage retrieval people kept looking for my name even though their notes said to look for name XYZ.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 10:21:07 AM »
Don't like them. They don't you feed you - even from coast to coast. IF you get a seat-back TV, you have to pay for movies. There is a charge for your first bag, so everyone brings everything on the plane with them.  None of theses things are true with Jet Blue (for example) so I try not to fly them.

That being said, it's only 1.5 hours.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »
Don't like them. They don't you feed you - even from coast to coast. IF you get a seat-back TV, you have to pay for movies. There is a charge for your first bag, so everyone brings everything on the plane with them.  None of theses things are true with Jet Blue (for example) so I try not to fly them.

I can't speak for Jet Blue (never flown them) but all this is rapidly becoming (or already is) SOP pretty much across the board. Want to watch a movie? Pay for it. Food? Pay for it (and it still sucks). Exit row seat? Surcharge. Check a bag? Surcharge. I don't think Southwest is the only one lacking assigned seating, either. The whole pricing model has gone from all-inclusive to a la carte. Ticket price just gets you to your destination with your carry-on and personal bag, and a beverage or two (assuming you don't want alcohol). Everything else is extra, unless you fly enough (or get the airline miles credit card and use it enough) to get enough points to get the perks.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 11:19:26 AM »
I find United to be fine, but I think they charge you for the bags because they know they will be delivering them to your house/hotel later.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 03:46:51 PM »
I find United to be fine, but I think they charge you for the bags because they know they will be delivering them to your house/hotel later.

My biggest laugh all week (including real life)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »
I think most airlines now charge for things that used to be free. I haven't flown United in years; used to fly them out to the west coast to see family, but from what I recall, the last couple times I had a decent experince.

katiescarlett

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 08:21:34 PM »

This is true.  It is only 1.5 hours.   :)  I am only going to be gone for 3 days, so I am going to try not to check my bag.  I can fit everything into a small overnight bag, and I will also be taking my backpack.  It will have my laptop and textbooks in it, because, unfortunately, I have to find time to study for finals while I am in Denver.  They begin on Monday when I come back.

I figure the flight will be alright, and if not, it isn't very long.

Thanks everyone!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 01:55:08 AM »
They put someone else's name on my luggage.  Someone going to a completely different destination.  It took forever to get back to me because the baggage retrieval people kept looking for my name even though their notes said to look for name XYZ.

Did you not have a tag on it with your name?  I dont know how it would happen putting the wrong name on when they match your ticket when you Checkin and give you the bagtags.  Not saying it didn't happen. Just not sure how.  It is very important to put your name on your baggage. That is not airline responsibility.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 01:58:01 AM »

Delta, American and almost every other airline but SW charge for baggage.  Meals are not provided on most flights under X hours on most airlines.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 09:33:51 AM »

*snerk!*  Love that Marticia.

OP: I will fly United only if they're the only ones available. 

Back to United.  I flew them coming home from London Heathrow to Chicago and back to Oklahoma.  It was raining in Chicago so our two-hour layover turned into four, then five, then eight, then "Oh sorry we're not flying tonight.  And since rain is an act of God you don't get a hotel voucher.  We were instructed to sleep on the airport floor (ewww!) and given vouchers to fly home on AA the next morning.

Dad was livid and we were both exhausted from dealing with this PLUS the transatlantic flight the night before.  I suggested to my Dad we go take our AA vouchers to an AA gate and see if they could do anything for us.  Well we found a gate that was Oklahoma-bound and showed them our vouchers.  They were loading up a flight headed for our hometown and they had two seats in FIRST CLASS available.  The gate lady was happy to let us right on.  I was so relieved I burst into tears and hugged her (this was before 9/11 - wouldn't try grabbing hold of anyone now).  We couldn't sit together but I crashed for two hours in first class.

Back home, United took over a week to get our luggage back to us.

And no, it was never explained why it was unsafe for United to fly Chicago to Tulsa but American had no problems doing it.  Then again ...

Slightly off-topic: the American Airlines repair/maintenance facility is here in my town and those guys REFUSE to fly AA for safety reasons.  I flew AA once (about 2004) and the ceiling tiles fell out with a huge BANG that made me and a lot of other people scream.  Won't fly AA anymore.  They're an accident waiting to happen!